Mario Kart Tour

This game kinda fails in a lot of ways. The gatcha system is one of the biggest screwups this game has. On top of that we were promised costumes would be for everyone and be location based and they would be applicable on the character, not be separate characters, but no they are separate characters. What a mess is this. I also hoped that Tour would have you travel to different countries as a separate mode but that's not the case at all. I mean I expected the costumes to be handled in a way similar to Roll in Mega Man Powered Up or Mario in Super Mario Odyssey or be an option to be auto equiped. In Mega Man Powered Up, Roll was a DLC character along with her outfits and whatnot and they were selectable when you picked her and that was PSP (PlayStation Portable). This is iOS and Android. I expected better than this.

This is what Capcom did with Roll in Mega Man Powered Up on the Sony PlayStation Portable with her outfits:
DglXiDhX4AE74AQ.jpg

And this is what Nintendo does with Mario Kart Tour for iOS/Android devices for costumes/outfits:

8xPujiO.png

Such a let down to be honest.

I'm gonna be honest. It's an okay game.

First, the Gacha system is a Gacha system. It's not rigged or anything. Just random. Sure, it's annoying when you get the same stuff over and over, but that's just luck.
Second, the controls are as reasonable as they can. Seeing as I can't use tilt controls since I play on my Chromebook, playing with a mouse feels okay. It's annoying when I have to use items, but it's pretty okay.
Third, not having most of the main cast part of the base game is reasonable when you look at it like this: They have time restrictions. They had to get the game out by a certain time. Hence, they couldn't add everything on the first go. That's what updates are for.
Overall, Tour isn't the best game out there, but it's good for when you have some time to kill. Leveling up feels kinda satisfying. This game is underrated for what it is, but other people are entitled to their opinions, I guess.
It's not "rigged". While it's random, everything about it is designed to hook you in and try to get you to part with money for rubies that you put in for content you may or may not get. It's gambling. Belgium has banned this game for a reason, in accordance to gambling and preventing kids from playing the game, and it's pretty tone-deaf for Nintendo/whatever to release this hot in the heels of legislation around the world deeming lootboxes as gambling.

There is no time restrictions. Data for characters are generally complete; Luigi is perfectly playable in the demo. I'm pretty sure they purposely don't release the full game because they want to hook you first with starting content and the manipulative grindy gameplay and want to maintain your attention by promising more content.

A lot of this video applies to this game, people should really take note of what these companies do to exploit people, they explain how they do it and they have no shame.

Yeah, Mario Kart Tour's launch and release is one of the biggest fuck ups in Nintendo's history, even harder than both the Wii U and Virtual Boy combined. Even worse than Mario Tennis Ultra Smash.

I can go into great detail into why I hate this game a bit. The fact that Peach, Daisy, and Rosalina, Mario, Luigi, and whatnot are locked behind loot boxes really amplifies my ire. It really bogs a Mario Kart game for mobile phones down and is one of Nintendo's biggest epic fails in history. Really, they should have made it like Super Mario Run where you pay once for the goddamn game and have everything. That would've been genius. Not this loot boxy microtransactional pile of shit.

Honestly, getting Peach is actually easy. As long as you didn't spend any money on rubies, just reset the game, use the "start fresh" option. Your second pipe is mostly a coin flip between Peach and Bowser (you'll sometimes get the super rare Peachette/Metal Mario/Musician Mario but that's not a big deal), you'll get Peach if you're patient.

The rest aren't so lucky.

inb4 Peachette becomes the new PGP

Anyway, while I haven't played the game yet, I'm not liking what I'm hearing. Dr. Mario World's microtransactions, while a bit disappointing, at least kept the gacha elements in moderation. The Kirby Clash games get ragged on for microtransactions despite being one of the few games that actually gets the system right. But Mario Kart Tour sounds like Nintendo microtransactions at its very worst, with gacha elements rampant throughout the game and even a gold pass more expensive than Switch Online without actually offering anything beyond 200cc. Mario's had some disappointingly lackluster games in recent years, with Ultra Smash and Top 100 being some prime examples, but this has the potential to possibly be even worse than either.

I'm keeping my expectations in check for this one, but I suppose you can't definitively judge a game until after you play it. I'll make another post when that time comes.

Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash and Mario Party: The Top 100 were bland at worst, this is just flat-out awful.

I'm enjoying it decently enough. Although the drivers and kart parts only having minor differences kind of makes none of them feel seperated from each other. It doesn't matter which character I pick, you just pick the one that gives you the most points and then hope the items don't fuck you. Not really any incentive to even use the gacha, just save up coins and wait for your favourite character to appear in the shop I guess, they all play the same. It's mediocre fun but there's no real ongoing incentive to come back to it from what I can see. Multiplayer might potentially change that and add some end-game goal but for now it's just something to play around with for a few minutes on the side, I've caught up with the available cups and don't really feel wanting for more.

Maybe, just fucking maybe they can improve. It's a maybe but god fucking knows shit.

Honestly, getting Peach is actually easy. As long as you didn't spend any money on rubies, just reset the game, use the "start fresh" option. Your second pipe is mostly a coin flip between Peach and Bowser (you'll sometimes get the super rare Peachette/Metal Mario/Musician Mario but that's not a big deal), you'll get Peach if you're patient.

The rest aren't so lucky.

I happened to get Mario just now along with Baby Daisy. I got a lot of duplicates. The gatcha system really pisses me off. This is outrageous. I really should be lucky to get Peach. But I didn't. They should have had a full roster like any other Mario Kart game and made it a paid app for $10/$5 dollars like Super Mario Run.

The gatcha system in both Dr. Mario World and Mario Kart Tour is the worst thing ever from Nintendo. Super Mario Run is still the best mobile Mario game ever made. Such a huge letdown.

Now there are some good things about the game.

Microtransactions and loot boxes are not milked at all compared to FIFA or NBA.

You can also win characters in prize boxes by completing cups.

This is only the first version of the game, more will be added.

What happens when Mario appears on mobile.

It's an easily accessible market, and a top-tier video game icon (Mario, no less) appears on it, it's bound to receive reception. No matter how bad it is, people will be interested in it because it is an official Mario game they can easily download.

Not forgetting that us people who hold skeptical on these kinds of things actually only constitute a minority of all the people around the world who play Mario games. Add that to the fact that even those who don't have an actual console can just get this on their phone.

The results don't surprise me in the least honestly. In fact I would have expected this to surpass FE: Heroes in terms of downloads easily. Maybe not in revenue, but yeah.

Even though the gacha sucks, the gameplay is, in my opinion decent enough for a mobile Mario Kart game.

What can I say about this game that hasn't already been said? Hmm... well, let me tell you that I believe it's a complete slap in the face to MK8D players who were yearning for Diddy Kong, Birdo and a few others to return as either DLC or what not only for Diddy to return in a Mobile variation of Mario Kart and locked behind a myriad of microtransaction hodgepodge.

Pauline, and maybe to a similar extent Peachette, Add insult to injury and nobody can say with a straight face that Birdo won't return in this. If Mario Tennis Aces is anything to go by, we are in for a swarm of new and long-awaited returnees, which again, is a huge disappointment that it had to happen in THIS game. Not to mention the return of DD items with exclusivity attached to them, as well as new and returning karts and gliders.

Nintendo had the audacity to include new content that people wanted in Tour. I really hope Mario Kart 9 had all of this content in it, but I would drop item exclusivity and have everyone access every item. Since this game is pretty much published and developed by Nintendo, the Tour exclusive tracks are technically eligible to be Retro Tracks in future games so yeah.

I also hope the endgame for Tour is connectivity with Mario Kart 9 or whatever, like whatever karts or characters are locked in that game will automatically unlock if you have them in Tour? Something like that. We'll see.

I've been playing since release and haven't spent a dime.

I also have been unlocking characters so slowly and got many duplicates from the pipe already, you know the pipe that it takes ages to get enough rubies to even use once you've beaten the available cups. And it still hasn't given me Pauline despite her being prominently advertised all over the game with links to the pipe. I might buy some next week when there's actually something in my account but I really hope they make it easier to unlock stuff by playing and winning instead of paying up. I'd rather have bought the game and had all the content.

They *want* you to spend money for rubies. They made it tedious and grindy by design to encourage you to gamble. Watch the videos I put out in this thread.

It's not first day Nintendo looks stupid when they come to decisions about roster expansion, especially the female characters. I understand Peachette is a better version of Pink Gold Peach when it comes to model recycling, but killing appearances of Birdo and Dixie just seems unwise. Especially when non-humanoid girls are relatively rare in Mario universe.

At this point my opinion on Pauline is some kind of late justice called "dud finally?", which will also be for KRool and EGadd if they've even been to a racing game.

FINALLY
zlUcI3C.png

And it only cost me 3k Mario coins (not real money but still a pain to get)

And honestly i did it because i wanted Peach and because she was a shop item for 1 day only.

i guess if time comes, im spending real money on Rosalina.

Sigh, gotta keep saving coins from now on tho.

Back