Mario Tennis Aces

Well, Nintendo has marketed unlockable characters as amiibo, including the DLC. I'd find it weird to have those kinds of characters on a bad like that, when they're supposed to be surprises for game achievements, right?

GmanSir said:
Actually, there's another paywall, and that's owning a Switch.

Because owning a console to play a video game is totally the same as requiring to pay for an optional service (that shouldn't even be paid to begin with) just to unlock content in a video game that was once been part of the game before.

ThatGuy62 said:
The weird part about that is they are on the bag. It'd be weird to have what is essentially DLC characters on there.
Has Nintendo confirmed whether or not Chain Chomp and Spike are unlockables yet?

This isn't really the first time Nintendo has marketed unlockable characters on merchandise. They did this for Mario Kart 8 as well.

That Mario Kart 8 shirt is still a crime to humanity though.

Princess Mario said:
Say whatever smartassery you want, but I'm not going through the trouble of paying up for a service I'd barely use otherwise just so I can unlock some characters I like.
But hey at least the online is cheaper than PS and Xbox.

PC online is the cheapest.

Roll and Maria Renard said:
But hey at least the online is cheaper than PS and Xbox.
I'm not willing to go through that hassle and that's final.

Swiftie_Luma said:
Also I'm noticing they are updating the character banners in the back ::eyes::

It really makes me wonder how much they will update from this point compared to the las test trailer.

They also updated Mario's too I think.

Mario's in Trailer:
unknown.png

Mario Tennis Ace's video thumbnail on Switch news:
unknown.png

CamTro said:
Swiftie_Luma said:

It really makes me wonder how much they will update from this point compared to the las test trailer.

Mario's in Trailer:
unknown.png

unknown.png

i see . Its that a new video? or something we already saw?

Swiftie_Luma said:
CamTro said:
Swiftie_Luma said:

Mario's in Trailer:
unknown.png

unknown.png

i see . Its that a new video? or something we already saw?
It's pretty much same trailer.

This is very interesting.

Thanks Camtro.

... with this now i can finally start speculating.

The fact that the trailer has certain things but changes them in other shots could easily mean what we saw was ''beta'' footage plus recent footage.

Im only hoping they update most stuff.

Baby Luigi said:
PC online is the cheapest.
Of course because it's free and always will be regardless of the medium.

you still have to pay those wifi bills though

nothing is free in this life. nothing that matters at least.

Regarding the character pics, you sure they're replaced, or is it just the marquee displaying different images?

Swiftie_Luma said:
you still have to pay those wifi bills though

nothing is free in this life. nothing that matters at least.
I don't think you magically get Wi-Fi for owning a Switch either.

i just wanna find out if they wanna update voices or not.

I mean they are updating a lot of things contrary to what the trailer showed, and one of the things the trailer showed was reused voice clips from MK8/US...

It just makes the most sense to update them.

Gameplay soon please, better if its Rosalina as well. I wanna solve the mystery on why they used that specific Kerri voice clip when she performs her special shot.

im a detective now, scooby doo style. You can call me Velma.

So you'll constantly be losing your glasses?

Just try to keep Fred in line with his stupid plans to catch the criminals.

You know what I’m really glad that’s back? Tournament Mode!

I was upset that it wasn’t in Ultra Smash!

Ultra Smash in general was a mistake.

I understand where the appeal could be in Knockout Mode, but I feel it would serve better as a separate mode rather than a replacement altogether. I've played Knockout Mode only once, never touched it again once I unlocked everything I need to unlock.

the thing is the mode is ultimately pointless because because you can play normal matches, gain coins and buy the unlockeables.

waste of time.

I even forgot why I played it tbh. It's a repetitive mode that goes on and on and on without an end. I hate it.

Yeah, Ultra Smash was never fixed at all. Nintendo didn't add Tournament Mode to Ultra Smash, let alone more characters and whatnot to make it on the level of Power Tennis. Ultra Smash at best was a lame excuse of a game even though people had initial hypes for it (including me). Aces is basically a Ultra Smash Second Edition that takes the time to not just fix Ultra Smash but add stuff to it and make it balanced by removing the Mega Mushroom gimmick. It's the Mario Tennis game that Ultra Smash should have been in the first place.

Didn't Ultra Smash have the same amount of characters as World Tour, just having swapped out some for others?

Never played Ultra Smash, but I honestly rather like the idea of power-ups in Mario Tennis games, which has been done several times before! Granted, they've all been in a separate mode (the Bowser Court in Mario Tennis 64 immediately comes to mind. I want that court to return too), but I'd like to see the Mega Mushroom return, along with a few others.

*Mega Mushroom: Does what it did in Ultra Smash
*Super Mushroom: Increases player speed as in Mario Tennis 64
*Lightning Bolt: Shocks and slows players down as in Mario Tennis 64
*Mini Mushroom: Toss one in the direction you're facing and anyone that gets in contact with one will shrink as in Mario Sports Mix
*Bob-omb: Explodes
*Fire Flower: Adds fire element to the tennis ball, burning and knocking back players who try to receive it
*Ice Flower: Adds ice element to the tennis ball, temporarily freezing players who try to receive it
*Green Shell: Does what it does in Mario Kart
*Red Shell: Does what it does in Mario Kart
*Banana: Does what it does in Mario Kart
*Super Star: Gives temporary invincibility
*Mystery Mushroom: I just love having characters turn into someone different for some reason don't judge

Item Mode would be as chaotic as heck and I love it and I want it.

My beef with the item mode is that, while I quite enjoy it and many of us miss it from Mario Power Tennis and Mario Tennis 64 and would want it as a option again, it's a lot more flawed and frustrating than me and some people remember it and could use a deal of improvements to mitigate the frustration.

The item system, unlike Mario Kart, is more random and less position-based, due to the nature of the game. This may be fun or annoying depending on how you play it. I don't have huge issues with this, personally.

The Lightning Bolt is an extremely broken item, especially if you're shrunk and the opponent character has an invincibility star: the lightning bolt lowers your speed, reach, and power while the Star increases your power and makes you invincible. It makes it really difficult to play against opponents in that situation, and a thing is, the opponent can lightning bolt you multitudes of times if they're lucky and you continue being at a huge disadvantage. Sure, having a Mushroom and a Star recovers you from your condition earlier, but I find it really miserable to play under the effects of a Lightning Bolt and constantly crossing my fingers for a Star or a Mushroom to revert the effects. I personally think they should nix the Lightning Bolt altogether, since most of my post is spent ranting on how much I don't like that item.

Bananas, for the most part, are mostly worthless items. I think they should increase the numbers of bananas you receive because they could be rebounded back at you and they barely pose a threat. Green Shells come in threes, so why not bananas? Green Shells and Reds, don't have much of a problem with them, I'm glad the Red Shell is dodgeable, even if the AI is a dumb at times.

In case you didn't know, btw, certain courts also have different rarities for items. Luigi's Mansion comes with more Lightning Bolts while DK Jungle Court has more bananas. I think that's pretty interesting, but Luigi's Mansion is a pain to play on thanks to the Lightning Bolts.

Russian Baby Luigi said:
The Lightning Bolt is an extremely broken item, especially if you're shrunk and the opponent character has an invincibility star: the lightning bolt lowers your speed, reach, and power while the Star increases your power and makes you invincible.

I didn't say anything about power increase/decrease... for any of them, actually. True, having a Lightning lower and a Star increase your power would be overpowered, so maybe not that. The Mega Mushroom would likely be the only power-increasing item.

It makes it really difficult to play against opponents in that situation, and a thing is, the opponent can lightning bolt you multitudes of times if they're lucky and you continue being at a huge disadvantage. Sure, having a Mushroom and a Star recovers you from your condition earlier, but I find it really miserable to play under the effects of a Lightning Bolt and constantly crossing my fingers for a Star or a Mushroom to revert the effects.

Well... the Lightning Bolt is supposed to make things difficult for the opposing team. :P Maybe if it could be fired in the direction you're facing rather than the whole opposing team, so there's a chance it will miss?

Bananas, for the most part, are mostly worthless items. I think they should increase the numbers of bananas you receive because they could be rebounded back at you and they barely pose a threat. Green Shells come in threes, so why not bananas? Green Shells and Reds, don't have much of a problem with them, I'm glad the Red Shell is dodgeable, even if the AI is a dumb at times.

I liked that Bananas could be rallied in Mario Tennis 64. If you do it right, you could send the Banana back to its user.

In case you didn't know, btw, certain courts also have different rarities for items. Luigi's Mansion comes with more Lightning Bolts while DK Jungle Court has more bananas. I think that's pretty interesting, but Luigi's Mansion is a pain to play on thanks to the Lightning Bolts.

I did not know that! I'm really only familiar with Mario Tennis 64's variant of the item court, being on a teetering Bowser stage (which just makes things more difficult, but was still a cool court). Maybe if there is a specific court, or specific courts, to play item mode on instead.

Back