2001: A Mario Odyssey

im veery happy to see Rosalina considered while not making the cut.

It really means that developers like her to a certain degree even if she wasn't really in her element for Odyssey plus the outfit and guitar look so classy with her.

Very cute indeed, it gives me ideas for fanart.

Thanks Baby Luigi for sending those pics to me btw ♥

i hope scrapped rosalina and crazy galaxy ashley get to start their own intergalactic rock band

Her concept reminds me of Ellie playing the guitar from the teaser for The Last of Us: Part II.

Now I can imagine her young self being accompanied with Bowser through the post-apocalyptic, Toad-infested Mushroom Kingdom.

That Rosalina is one of the best things to come out of concept arts, I love it.

The fact that she's wearing a black shirt sells it on that point even further.

Broodals may be the least favourite characters in the Mario forums here, for functioning similar to the Koopalings but is not them, but it's amusing that they were going to be female Koopas:
ed45d3430f056df5f3f472739e46bbad.jpeg

That would explain Spewart's huge resemblance to Ludwig (not the commonly-cited Morton)

And here's a bonus casual Pauline:
74d69d8a9d5a825c8036054eff4c544a.jpeg

Thank you for reading.

Booted up Odyssey to see not only the leaked Zombie Mario outfit, but also new snapshot mode filters! Am I going crazy or did they just add something besides costumes for the first time since February?!

I knew that was getting released in Spooktober.

Now the Santa outfit should be released somewhere in December going by that logic.

A little late but all of these "casual" outfits are amazing and I'm disappointed we don't get to see any of them in the game

https://nintendoeverything.com/new-batch-of-super-mario-odyssey-concept-art/
More artbook stuff. Things to note:
  • The Mushroom Kingdom apparently had a village at one point
  • Tosterna apparently had more normal residents
  • On that note, New Donk's residents looked more cartoony and, dare I say, Earthbound-ish
  • Luigi's also covered in the artbook
  • Proto-Cappy was once not a ghost.
  • Speaking of, and most importantly We could have gotten the glorious return of Bowser's car, complete with jet mode. Oh yeah, and Bowser's hat might have also been sentient, or at least thematically linked with his car.
And more
ca-11.jpg

ca-17.jpg

ca-18.jpg

And here we have Bowser in his Kingsonn Dededoo cosplay...
ca-19.jpg
also this artwork looks so 90's I love it
ca-17.jpg

Bowser just reminds me of the Super Mario Bros. show for some reason, and that car plane reminds me of that car from that Roger Rabbit film.

That wedding car not being in the game is the real tragedy here. Not that Bowser possessed Peach.

So we're all just ignoring that there were almost Lochlads to go with the Lochladies? I gotta say, they look a bit unsettling... :eekdance:

I love those human characters, shame they were cut in favor of attempts at realism. I'm fine with the New Donkers but I can say that these cut characters would have aged MUCH better (and had more personality too). Photo-realism is one thing that I don't think video games will truly achieve for a long time still.

Fawfultheghost64 said:
Photo-realism is one thing that I don't think video games will truly achieve for a long time still.
Well, we're getting there. Pretty close. Check some of the later PC games, especially the much-derided Star Wars: Battlefront II stuff.

Oh my god, I am just LOVING all this concept art.

That group of 4 look like some tough mafia dudes, and that would have been so much cooler than the Broodals. Even the concept of the female Koopas is really neat. I'd love to see Nintendo expand more on the Koopas.

The various Crazy Cap logos all look really good too, except for the rabbit one, it looks odd. They all look like vintage logos and I love how one would've have used Diddy. Maybe they even considered having Diddy as the owner of Crazy Caps.

YoshiGo99 said:
That group of 4 look like some tough mafia dudes, and that would have been so much cooler than the Broodals. Even the concept of the female Koopas is really neat. I'd love to see Nintendo expand more on the Koopas.
Same! The mob guys and the Koopas were both the first thing that stood out to me. I'm guessing they ended up making them rabbits due to the connection rabbits have to the moon in Japan. Plus, I feel the Koopas kind of looked a bit too similar to the Koopalings, so maybe they wanted to further differentiate them. Considering how many people already feel the Broodals are Koopaling expies, I can't even imagine how worse things would be if the Broodals were Koopas, too. XD

The drawings of what I assume is an early version of the Cloud Kingdom are really interesting. That world in general felt like missed potential to me, so it's cool and a bit sad to see what ideas they had for it that they ended up cutting.

Fawfultheghost64 said:
I'm fine with the New Donkers but I can say that these cut characters would have aged MUCH better (and had more personality too).

Not necessarily. Not even close to it. I believe Super Mario 64 looks as awful as Goldeneye does today.

And it's evolving, just like with previous generations, who I also believe games like Sunshine has more dated graphics than say Nightfire.

I don't even think they're trying to achieve photo-realistic graphics and character models in the first place. They're just making the humans more alike to their real counterparts. That's really it.

I agree with FTG in that more cartoony-looking humans look more in place next to Mario, Peach, and Pauline (ignoring my self-insert).

But that's exactly the point of the realistic humans. To look out of place to stand out. It's juxtaposition.

Back