2001: A Mario Odyssey

They're not porting 3D World.

It's the Wii U's flagship 3D Mario, they're not gonna do it.

Princess Mario said:
Nintendo products certainly can compete with each other. If you get a copy of a Nintendo game, you don't automatically get the other one as well.
True, but Nintendo doesn't care. Either way, they earn money. So it doesn't really affect Nintendo at all if their games compete against each other.

Everyone said:

Super Mario 64 DS exists.

You know... to begin with, Super Mario 64 was the first 3D Mario... and it did somewhat lack content, maybe, so maybe for that they ported it? I know that they did add some stuff in the DS version...

And... umm...

But wait, my entire argument falls flat in front of my previous statement here...

Still, I don't think they are porting it, I just have that feeling.

Everyone said:
You know... to begin with, Super Mario 64 was the first 3D Mario... and it did somewhat lack content, maybe, so maybe for that they ported it? I know that they did add some stuff in the DS version...

And... umm...

But wait, my entire argument falls flat in front of my previous statement here...

Still, I don't think they are porting it, I just have that feeling.
They'd have to put some serious elbow grease into it (defeating the whole purpose of the ports in the first place). GamePad Assist would have to be removed, and new control schemes for GamePad levels (like Puffprod Peaks and Hands-On Hall) would have to be created. Obviously, removing precise touch controls for the Switch was not a smart move.

Captain Toad Treasure Tracker has that motion controlled cursor though, for those "touch" levels. Maybe they could do something like that.

Hey look, I made it look easier to make a port now!

Sunshine Yoshi said:
True, but Nintendo doesn't care. Either way, they earn money. So it doesn't really affect Nintendo at all if their games compete against each other.
They do care. They're still being choosy to show certain games on their E3 just so other games won't get overshadowed. I don't think Nintendo as a company gets all its share of money too. Nintendo has many different teams as well as third party developers, it's not like they get the money if a game they didn't develop gets sales.

Sunshine Yoshi said:
Everyone said:

Super Mario 64 DS exists.
Super Mario 64 DS is a remake, not a port. It had a timespan of June 1996 - November 2004, so ~7.5-8 years. Super Mario 3D World has been out since November 2013. We're not quite there yet in terms of timespan.

Everyone said:

I agree. Every console have its "flagship Mario" as you call it. For the Wii it's Galaxy, for the Wii U it's SM3W, and for the Switch it's Odyssey. It will be foolish to port these games.

If they don't care about how their IP does if Nintendo products theoretically didn't compete with each other, then we might have a new F-Zero by now...

I’m gonna say this...that ending is up there with Assassin’s Creed 3, Bubsy 3D, Mass Effect 3, and No Man’s Sky as one of my least favorite endings to a video game. I HATED that ending! I mean for a Mario game with such high production value, and incredible visuals, I’d expect the ending to be sweet and heartfelt...then it gives you the middle finger and it turns into a fucking Popeye cartoon!

Tbh I wouldnt mind ports if they didnt cost 60 dlls.
I wish that Nintendo started doing Virtual Console but on their favor.

Sell 10 dlls the Wii version Super Mario All Stars + SMW.
Sell at 20 dlls Paper Mario + Paper Mario TTYD
Sell at 30 dlls Super Mario 64 + Super Mario Sunshine
Sell at 80 dlls Super Mario Galaxy + Super Mario Galaxy 2

That way almost every Mario game would be on the Switch, and that way Nintendo would earn more money on it.

(The reason of the high price on the Galaxy is because they would need to rework the Cursor/Motion Controls, making an excuse to make us pay more)

I just think Nintendo should stop porting last-gen games entirely. I mean, those old "deluxe" ports were okay because they added substantial content to the game, and because they only made two. Wii U and Switch owners alike bought them. But these straight ports that add nothing but a New Funky Mode or a Mario Odyssey cash-in are hurting the Switch and becoming its primary weakness. In that case, Switch owners are buying them, while most Wii U owners are avoiding them. People blame the Wii U for riding off the success of the Wii, but the Switch is trying too hard to be the console that the Wii U wasn't. That's a fine principle for advertising purposes, but reusing the Wii U's library isn't helping the Switch at all. Nintendo needs to make new games, not ports.

And these ports are all the more confusing considering that not a single Virtual Boy game has been ported or remade.

Right now, Nintendo's only VR game (aside from the Virtual Boy games) is a recent one called Mario Kart Arcade GP VR.

Sunshine Yoshi said:
Everyone said:
Virtual Boy?
Yeah. Nintendo's first attempt at VR back in 1995, and also one of their biggest flops in history. It only sold about 800,000 units. Here's our wiki article about it. (Virtual Boy)

I know what it is I just thought you meant Virtual Console.

supermariofan said:
...then it gives you the middle finger and it turns into a *bleep*ing Popeye cartoon!

I think that's actually quite fitting for Mario, considering that's what he was about to be if Nintendo could got the rights.

Russian Baby Luigi said:
supermariofan said:
...then it gives you the middle finger and it turns into a *bleep*ing Popeye cartoon!

I think that's actually quite fitting for Mario, considering that's what he was about to be if Nintendo could got the rights.
But when you saw how the ending was building up, you’d expect it to be more sweet. Not to mention, how they write Peach in that scene is absolutely ridiculous! Why is she so pressured when she knows the right choice! This isn’t Sophie’s Choice you dumb airhead!

I don't see what's the big deal about the ending.

The big deal about the ending is that Bowser's fate is unknown. It's like King Koopa in the TV shows; in the last episode, you see him in a life-or-death situation and never see him again. It's the same with this game; although he wasn't exactly about to die, how was he going to return home?

Don't worry, when someone lands on a Bowser space, he has to return the call.

Russian Baby Luigi said:
Don't worry, when someone lands on a Bowser space, he has to return the call.
Mario Party just wouldn't be the same without him.

What did happen to King Koopa from the TV shows anyway? Last I saw him, he was on top of a bed in a lava-flodded room. That was at the end of "A Little Learning", the final SMWTV episode (not counting "Mama Luigi").

Sunshine Yoshi said:
The big deal about the ending is that Bowser's fate is unknown. It's like King Koopa in the TV shows; in the last episode, you see him in a life-or-death situation and never see him again. It's the same with this game; although he wasn't exactly about to die, how was he going to return home?

Dude's got like, hundreds of airships. He'll be fine.

Also when was Bowser's "fate" ever a problem?

In one game he dies in lava, and next thing you now you're racing with him.

Back