2001: A Mario Odyssey

I don’t get it. How is Tiara pointless? Tiara is the one who actually gave Cappy incentive to help Mario. And Tiara is actually playable in the game, you know. And you can’t really call her any more pointless than PGP, Baby Rosalina, and Gold Luigi (Gold Luigi is pointless because he is just a clone of Silver Luigi and does the exact same thing) at the very least.

Easter Yoshi said:
I don’t get it. How is Tiara pointless? Tiara is the one who actually gave Cappy incentive to help Mario. And Tiara is actually playable in the game, you know. And you can’t really call her any more pointless than PGP, Baby Rosalina, and Gold Luigi (Gold Luigi is pointless because he is just a clone of Silver Luigi and does the exact same thing) at the very least.

What? She's not playable.

Tiara does nothing besides being another damsel in distress for Mario to rescue. As LGM has said (here and on GameFAQs; I'm going off of this thread for reference and a lot of people there seem to agree that she's pointless: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/200275-super-mario-odyssey/76436006), she's a cheap and unnecessary plot device. Take her out of the game and nothing changes. She could simply be a non-living, physical object and the main goal would be the same: stop Bowser from marrying Peach. You can't even interact with Tiara, so what's the point of having her be a thing? She should not exist.

Cheeze said:
Easter Yoshi said:

You’re forgetting the bridal veil.

Easter Yoshi said:
Cheeze said:
Easter Yoshi said:

You’re forgetting the bridal veil.

Darn technicalities. >_>

Regardless, I think that Nintendo knew we were tired of saving Peach, so they threw in Tiara to give us, as well as Cappy, more incentive to play the game.
Plus, it’s nice seeing Peach have a Bonneter with her on her journey as well.

PGP, Baby Rosalina, and Gold Luigi are different. PGP exists to answer the question “What if Peach was playable in NSMB2?”. Baby Rosalina exists because Rosalina is a very popular character, but they at least could have designed her baby form better. Gold Luigi exists for...absolutely nothing. Silver Luigi could have taken his place in the P&D DLC.

Tiara isn't the Wedding Veil. That's just Cappy looking like the Wedding Veil. It still sound like him when he talks, right?

Plague Knight said:
Tiara isn't the Wedding Veil. That's just Cappy looking like the Wedding Veil. It still sound like him when he talks, right?

Correct.

Easter Yoshi said:
Regardless, I think that Nintendo knew we were tired of saving Peach, so they threw in Tiara to give us, as well as Cappy, more incentive to play the game.
Perry, Starlow, and Twink sure as hell didn't need a sister to be kidnapped to help the good guys. As I've said in the GameFAQs thread, Tiara's addition makes Cappy's motivation feel phonier somehow, as if just being a good person who saw his land and Mario get wrecked by Bowser isn't enough to motivate.

Okay, so if you remove Tiara from the game, very minor changes have to be made.

But if you remove :pgp:, Baby :rosalina:, and Gold :luigi:, absolutely nothing happens.

Therefore I rate her #4 most pointless Mario character.

welllll, to be fair, no Mario Kart character is unique; they're just really "cosmetic" variants in varying weight classes

Gold Luigi isn’t Mario Kart, though; he’s a part of the Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition DLC. I like Silver Luigi because he was the original Gold Flower form of Luigi, and it distinguished him from Gold Mario. However, I do not like Gold Luigi because he does the exact same thing as Silver Luigi and looks nearly identical to Gold Mario! It’s like Nintendo saying “Let’s get rid of Fox Luigi and make him Raccoon Luigi instead!” All they needed to do was to use Silver Luigi as the Luigi counterpart for Gold Mario, and I would be happy.

You know, we’re getting a bit off-topic. I am going to make a new “most pointless Mario characters” thread.

Most probably.

But if there is one thing to wonder about, it’s the 8-bit cap. Does it like, make Mario entirely 8-bit, or is there an outfit we never saw in the datamine?

How about fighting Topper with that suit?

Or the other Broodals when they'll give their suit to Mario?

I started playing Balloon World today.

So I hid Balloons in Cap, Sand, Lake, Wooded, Metro, Snow, Luncheon and Bowser Kingdom. Some of them have been popped. But I think it can mostly be useful when you're grinding for coins. I mean, I got Topper set, Knight set, Musician hat, Sunshine hat (put it with normal Mario's outfit and you get swag Mario) and Baseball hat! So I think it will help me A LOT!
I found Shy Guy on Wheels' Balloon in Bowser's Kingdom, but couldn't reach it (yeah SGoW if you're reading this, congratulations!)

It certainly is useful to get coins. I think Luigi decided to give them all away after his runaway success with gambling!

oh and the Topper Outfit, in a zip, got ripped

TopperOutfitMarioOdysseyModel.png

which is a great thing since it'll extend the costume's usefulness well outside of Odyssey :). The real reason I'm looking forward to the costumes.

https://nintendowire.com/news/2018/04/29/costumes-discovered-super-mario-odyssey-datamine/

Leaked costumes! You know what that means!

Killed Mario!
MarioOdysseyDatamine1.png

Another beautiful Mario with a slick bang!
MarioOdysseyDatamine2.png

Mario-ho-ho!!!
MarioOdysseyDatamine0.png

The newest composer for the New Donk Orchestra!
MarioOdysseyDatamine7.png

Mechanic now turned NASCAR driver!
MarioOdysseyDatamine3.png

And the brothers of the beautiful Mario, the purple spitting Morton version and the one that looks like he can play a banjo.
MarioOdysseyDatamine4.png
MarioOdysseyDatamine6.png

Princess Mario said:
https://nintendowire.com/news/2018/04/29/costumes-discovered-super-mario-odyssey-datamine/

Leaked costumes! You know what that means!

Killed Mario!

Another beautiful Mario with a slick bang!
MarioOdysseyDatamine2.png

Mario-ho-ho!!!
MarioOdysseyDatamine0.png

The newest composer for the New Donk Orchestra!
MarioOdysseyDatamine7.png

Mechanic now turned NASCAR driver!
MarioOdysseyDatamine3.png

And the brothers of the beautiful Mario, the purple spitting Morton version and the one that looks like he can play a banjo.
MarioOdysseyDatamine4.png
MarioOdysseyDatamine6.png

The Zombie Mario looks like you can throw an axe at people. I can see the axe being a popular option for photo captures.

Composer Mario looks a lot like the Phantom in Mario + Rabbids.

I get the gist that 8-bit Mario will transform Mario into a pixel guy, and it would be like the Skeleton Mario where you are forced to have the body shaped like that (meaning no hair from other hats).

It's a real shame (or delight for some people) that Mario Party is once again not referenced at all.

Thank you for reading.

I’m pretty sure the orchestra outfit is one of those from that calendar from which Nintendo always gets their costumes from

I thought it was from Mario Paint.

Mariopaints2.png

Princess Mario said:
Killed Mario!
"MOMMY, WHAT HAPPENED TO MARIO'S EYES!?"

Sometimes I wonder what kind of kingdoms would be great for DLC. For example, I wonder what-
Super_Mini_Mario_World.PNG

would look like in SMO, with the HD visuals and high-quality mini models.

In terms of existing kingdoms in the series, I just really hope for the Mushroom Kingdom's direct neighbor to get acknowledged, even if they can't recreate it in its original geographic location due to the "Mushroom Kingdom is different in every game" syndrome, but you get what I mean. But I'm not holding my breath, in fact I feel like the chance for that may have already been passed up since there haven't been DLC kingdoms yet and 2017 is getting further into the past.

I doubt Santa Mario has the 8-bit sprite as part of that costume, more like the 8-bit sprite is its own costume. I'm having trouble picturing that thing fully animated running around in Odyssey's world looking normal though, and what would it look like in the already 8-bit 2D sections? Identical to normal Mario?

Back