2001: A Mario Odyssey

I want a metal concert but that's a pipe dream

I just got the game for myself and my opinion on this game improved a bit! Love this game; probably my favorite single-player 3D platformer, beating out even Galaxy. Not sure about 3D World since I had so much fun with my sister in that game, even with its frustrating moments. Odyssey is much better than Super Mario 64 or Sunshine for sure. I don't think I was this hooked to a Mario in a while. I know that even if I finish the game, I'll still be spending quite some time with the amazing photo function.

Now if only :luigi:

LeftyGreenMario said:
I just got the game for myself and my opinion on this game improved a bit! Love this game; probably my favorite single-player 3D platformer, beating out even Galaxy. Not sure about 3D World since I had so much fun with my sister in that game, even with its frustrating moments. Odyssey is much better than Super Mario 64 or Sunshine for sure. I don't think I was this hooked to a Mario in a while. I know that even if I finish the game, I'll still be spending quite some time with the amazing photo function.

Now if only :luigi:

Glad you've seen the light and enjoyed that game! I thought for sure that you weren't going to be enjoying based on some of your impressions, even though I enjoyed it. After all, this is Mario at his finest, both in gameplay and character.

Thank you for reading.

winstein said:
Glad you've seen the light and enjoyed that game! I thought for sure that you weren't going to be enjoying based on some of your impressions, even though I enjoyed it. After all, this is Mario at his finest, both in gameplay and character.

Thank you for reading.
Yeah, I've been itching to play it for a while. Most of my more negative impressions were from just watching people play and maybe I got impatient at both of them making such stupid mistakes and making the game harder. But my sister still rags on the game while I'm playing it.

Maybe they'll give Mario a diaper for dlc, so she can combine that with the Luigi hat. Then she'll see the game for the greatness it is.

Or you could just throw Yoshi off a cliff.

I've gotten enjoyment throwing Glydon off a cliff (and I don't hate Glydon), drowning Tropical Wigglers in toxic waters (and I like Tropical Wigglers), drowning Goombas in water, and showing my thanks to countless enemies by stomping them after I'm done with them. I'm more than willing to do the same for later captures.

That's what I do.

After quitting the capture of a Goomba tower, I immediately ground pound, and there go all the goombas. It's oddly satisfying. I especially love doing it with high Goombas towers. This game just brought in a boatload of punching bags. Also, enemies respawn, so...

So I fought
MechaWiggler
And I can see why the wiki states that his death animation is one of the factors that make this game rated 10+. Plus himself as a whole is scary not gonna lie.

ThatGuy62 said:
Magikrazy said:
I wanna see a carnival or circus based kingdom. Or a combination of the two. I wanna capture a large circus animal and unleash its rage on the unsuspecting performers and audience.
It's a shame Bowser's Kingdom was the oriental chinese place because Bowser Land DLC would be pretty cool.
Actually, it was Japanese, I'm saying this not because of precision but because one of the major sources of income of Bowser's Kingdom, according to the Crazy Cap brochure, are Hanafuda cards. Nintendo is Bowser's Kingdom!

Mister Wu said:
ThatGuy62 said:
Magikrazy said:
I wanna see a carnival or circus based kingdom. Or a combination of the two. I wanna capture a large circus animal and unleash its rage on the unsuspecting performers and audience.
It's a shame Bowser's Kingdom was the oriental chinese place because Bowser Land DLC would be pretty cool.
Actually, it was Japanese, I'm saying this not because of precision but because one of the major sources of income of Bowser's Kingdom, according to the Crazy Cap brochure, are Hanafuda cards. Nintendo is Bowser's Kingdom!
So what you're saying is:
Bowser is King of Nintendo.

Wow.

Never noticed that.

I didn’t get to Bowser’s Kingdom yet but don’t worry it was already spoiled to me before.

But cool reference then.

Mister Wu said:
There are also those statues (which looks like Tanooki Mario's old transformation and Mario can capture one and become Statue Mario), Himeji-themed towers, those crushing dudes, koi fish in the water, Samurai outfit and that other Japanese outfit sold in the kingdom, and I think I saw figures that looked like Fujin Raijin-zu Byobu (Raijin I think) holding a white cape thing. Otherwise, I haven't seen anything exclusively Chinese.

My brother and me got this game on Monday. I'm already at the Luncheon Kingdom, and my brother just finished the New Donk City Festival.

He started calling the Sand Kingdom's regional coins "Tosteritos" and the name stuck.

Any tips for how to get the 100 points in Bubblaine's volleyball game? It's pissing me off to no end.

Yeah, the Volleyball minigame was ass. It took me, maybe three tries, to get 100 rebounds. To pass time quicker, you can jump and try throwing Cappy so the ball spikes? Some people advocate the toss-up move, but IMO it's a pain in the ass to perform thanks to its reliance on motion controls. For extra cheese, you can try 2-player mode with Cappy and take advantage of Cappy's speed and freedom to smack the volleyball back.

Spike the ball until like 30-40 and then stand in the middle and throw the hat where the ball will land, it doesn't speed up to the point where you can't hit it with hat from the middle of your side.

Holy crap I beat Breakdown Road (the Dark Side variant), Vanishing Road (the Dark Side variant), and Darker Side all in one day. In fact I beat all the far side stuff.

I think I died more on Breakdown Road but nowhere near the times people reported dying on any one of those three. I was surprised at myself for not dying at least 10 times (and three of those times were simple careless mistakes not being, like, a millisecond off during the block jumping) Vanishing Road was a joke but I think watching a video on that didn't help though I don't think it would've been much harder if I went through good ol' "first time's the hardest". I believe I got the more "hidden" power moon on my first try, but died along the way probably because I got distracted, I'm not sure, but I just jumped, grabbed it, and then tried to go back to the main platform, and then I undershot it and died.

Darker Side was just ho-hum tedium, not actually all that hard, not like the nightmarish Champion's Road from 3D World or the garbage cleaning from Galaxy 1 or the frustration that was Sling Pod Galaxy or Rolling Gizmos Galaxy. The Spiky Goomba thing gave me a lot of pain but the Bowser giving me 6 health was a major relief. The Donkey Kong thing was a pain too but I fault it on the stupid controls on walking on circular objects rather than genuine challenge. I hate that kind of design. I didn't even use Glydon to skip the level.

I think I had far more trouble with the Koopa Races in New Donk City and that's mainly because I was in the process of learning the "long jump, throw Cappy, hold Cappy, dive, bounce off Cappy, dive" combo the Gold Koopa uses but I'm pretty good at performing it now.

But yeah overall, none of these were as challenging as I thought it would be just from hearing people complain about those three.

I’m progressing quickly in the game myself. Yesterday was only the fourth time I played, yet I arrived at the Snow Kingdom. Or maybe I’m not exploring too much. The kingdom in which I got the most power moons so far is the Wooded Kingdom, with 33 of them. However I didn’t bother exploring Bubblaine in the Seaside Kingdom, so I’ll get to that before beating the game. Also, while bosses battles can be fairly short for now, they surely are enjoyable. I namely like Knucklotec’s, Torkdrift’s and Mechawiggler’s battles, so that means anything that’s not Broodals.

So I got a question for you guys.

I got to the Bowser Kingdom today and I’m setting sail for the moon tomorrow, but I noticed something odd in the ruined Kingdom. The swords stuck in the ground have Bowser’s emblem on them. Any theories?

Koops said:

I got to the Bowser Kingdom today and I’m setting sail for the moon tomorrow, but I noticed something odd in the ruined Kingdom. The swords stuck in the ground have Bowser’s emblem on them. Any theories?
Doesn't the dragon also have Bowser's face on its crown? My guess is that they're devices to control it.

So I beat the game. Impressions and thoughts coming. Also glad I could avoid getting the ending spoiled.

My god did I enjoy this game more than I expected! I still don’t know what would I choose between this or Galaxy anymore, guess they’re both my favorite Mario games. Anyway, back to Odyssey. It felt so great finally playing the game I waited for almost a year! A great experience. I like how the intro cutscene just proceeds to show Mario fighting Bowser, instead of Peach inviting Mario for cake. Nice change of things! Cappy is also a nice companion to have and the times at which you don’t have him, it feels like you’re underpowered like the FLUDDless segments in SMS and these kinds of references are great. Most references here in this game are nods to past 3D titles and I like that. And the Kingdoms felt very open and were enjoyable to explore. Especially the Sand, Wooded, Metro and Luncheon Kingdoms (although I haven’t explored the Seaside Kingdom much yet so I dunno.) But my favorite part has got to be the one after the final boss battle, where you capture Bowser and escape with Peach. And I thought it hilarious when Peach rejected Bowser and Mario and you can see him pat in Bowser’s back. Overall, t’was a great game, and the Capture ability made it even more open than it already is. I can’t believe that after getting games like Super Mario 3D World we got something like that out of the big blue. It’s just that amazing! I got the postgame waiting now, and it’s even bigger than the main story itself, so my journey with this game is far from over.

Koops said:

[/s]
I'm still of the opinion that the dragon is an ally of Bowser, but not really one of his minions, since his Japanese name indicates that he's native of Crumbleden and indeed after his defeat he stays there, without the crown with Bowser's figurehead. Anyway, as the brochure also notes, those swords are actually the pins used to keep the dragon's crown in place. Since that crown has the figurehead of Bowser, the pins have Bowser's emblem too.

I just figured it had been living there for years, then Bowser found and recruited it. Most likely forcibly.

Back