Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash

It reminds me of Mario Sports Mix all over again. Their playable characters have a lot of individuality and polish, but the core thing (Sports Mix being the disappointing number of characters) fails

Alucard and Zero said:
Plus a PS4 would offer much more detailed graphics than a Wii U because it is the most powerful console of this gen.
irrelevant

Dr. Mario said:
I admit, I think Ultra Smash has more charm in its characters than 3D World.
yeah the characters do look really charming in ultra smash, but i was referring to the charm, feel, and atmosphere of the whole game.

i'm probably going to end up with it in my possession anyways

I had expressed my thoughts that I felt kinda bad for Camelot. I think Nintendo, as a publisher, forced them to scrap whatever they had and made a game as quickly and cheaply as possible for the holidays. If the game was in development for, say, another 6 months, I don't think it would turn out as it is now

Nozomi Toujou said:
Dr. Mario said:
I admit, I think Ultra Smash has more charm in its characters than 3D World.
yeah the characters do look really charming in ultra smash, but i was referring to the charm, feel, and atmosphere of the whole game.

i'm probably going to end up with it in my possession anyways
Yeah, 3D World had much more effort put into perfecting it. It still missed a lot of spots, but it's a pretty good game, much better than 3D Land at least.

I can't say the same for Ultra Smash, unfortunately. And that hurts. And I have to skip yet another major Mario spinoff release. Sigh...

@everything
If lack of Local 4v4 with AI is your main issue then I can completely understand why that would be disappointing, because I was a little annoyed that I couldn't play with my sister without swapping the controller every few turns but I certainly wouldn't perceive their focus on the online multiplayer as a design flaw and more of a design choice. They clearly knew what they wanted to create with the tech they were given, and made choices to ensure that it was optimised for that type of gameplay, hence local multiplayer fell by the wayside because the game was never supposed to be about that, it was always about online multiplayer.

Why they chose to focus on online multiplayer in the very first place is a little hazy but I fully believe its due to the limitations of the Wii U (hence shitty AI, shitty netcode, etc.), and as such, they went all out to provide the best game they could given their design choice, and the game is fantastic with how well it plays in that setting (aside from the disconnects which are a huge pain in the ass, but I digress). Hence, as I've already stated, there are key components about the game which I honestly cannot see working very well if they were adapted to fit a local multiplayer setting.

You could argue that both local and online multiplayer are essential to other shooting games but Splatoon is clearly its own unique entity, as Nintendo intended for it to be. Local multiplayer isn't essential to every game, but if its essential to your individual enjoyment then I can understand why Splatoon's a huge turn-off for you and that's ok. I'm praying an NX sequel addresses these issues and branches out a bit for the local multiplayer aspect with the added power as well, but I honestly don't think its worth complaining about whenever the game is brought up.

Dr. Mario said:
Splatoon is built to be a multiplayer game. If local splitscreen really does have these issues, then it's a major design flaw of the gameplay

Baby Luigi said:
It's a multiplayer game. Therefore, couch co-op is expected to be an option.

You two slept out the last console generation, eh?

----

quoting because last post on last page:

GBAToad said:
@everything
If lack of Local 4v4 with AI is your main issue then I can completely understand why that would be disappointing, because I was a little annoyed that I couldn't play with my sister without swapping the controller every few turns but I certainly wouldn't perceive their focus on the online multiplayer as a design flaw and more of a design choice. They clearly knew what they wanted to create with the tech they were given, and made choices to ensure that it was optimised for that type of gameplay, hence local multiplayer fell by the wayside because the game was never supposed to be about that, it was always about online multiplayer.

Why they chose to focus on online multiplayer in the very first place is a little hazy but I fully believe its due to the limitations of the Wii U (hence shitty AI, shitty netcode, etc.), and as such, they went all out to provide the best game they could given their design choice, and the game is fantastic with how well it plays in that setting (aside from the disconnects which are a huge pain in the ass, but I digress). Hence, as I've already stated, there are key components about the game which I honestly cannot see working very well if they were adapted to fit a local multiplayer setting.

You could argue that both local and online multiplayer are essential to other shooting games but Splatoon is clearly its own unique entity, as Nintendo intended for it to be. Local multiplayer isn't essential to every game, but if its essential to your individual enjoyment then I can understand why Splatoon's a huge turn-off for you and that's ok. I'm praying an NX sequel addresses these issues and branches out a bit for the local multiplayer aspect with the added power as well, but I honestly don't think its worth complaining about whenever the game is brought up.

Educate me, please. I've only played Wii and didn't even scratch the surface of PC games so I've only played a select amount of games ever. I may be providing completely wrong generalizations based on my limited playing experience, so I'd like examples.

Edit: I don't know if you're referring to this or last generation, but we don't play a huge amount of games in either generation, and we mostly stuck to Nintendo couch multiplayer because it's definitely the best suited to us as twins.

I'll probably soften my attitude toward Splatoon after this conversation, likely, but my sister and I promise to take back everything if the sequel (which the game needs) does fulfill what we want out of it.

Hopefully, you don't find us extremely difficult to sway in one direction or the other because I'm open to criticism of my opinions, especially on a game I've never even really played.

Glowsquid said:
You two slept out the last console generation, eh?

Well yes. There's not much games I'd want to play this console generation, and with the games that I do want, I don't have any funds to prioritize them over other stuff I personally want and would rather have.

GBAToad, you're probably correct, but I really want a Splatoon sequel that addresses the problem I have with the game. Maybe since it's a new IP, maybe we should give it more slack, and when it gets more popular, we can expect an upgrade for the next generation console. That's what i'm hoping for anyway. Anyway, the lack of local multiplayer is more of a issue I take personally since I enjoy gaming with myself-I mean my twin sister, and I'm not going to bash anyone who enjoys Splatoon for what it offers. I will support Splatoon references in other games, including Smash Bros., and Splatoon merchandise (yes, the game is having San-ei plushies of their characters already), and I will support an evolution into a new franchise.

tl;dr I wanted to love Splatoon, this is just coming from a person who wanted to love a new IP but frustratingly can't.

Yeah. This game is bare-bones. No special minigames, no friend lobbies, and no playable Miis (lack of customization options). While I'm not going to buy this game, I'll play the demo version instead.

And before anyone says, "what about dlc?" there's a difference between a bonus and having to buy the game in two separate payments.

Mario Tennis Open had at three times as much content than this and it was on a handheld. Just let that sink in.

Magikrazy said:
And before anyone says, "what about dlc?" there's a difference between a bonus and having to buy the game in two separate payments.
And with the first payment, you're essentially taking a gamble to see if the second payment is going to be any good.

Myrmidon NSY said:
Mario Tennis Open had at three times as much content than this and it was on a handheld. Just let that sink in.

Mario Tennis 64 had three times as much content and it was on a console like 5 generations ago. You know, the console that brought us amazing models like this

WarioWaluigi.jpg

Mario Tennis 64 is even on the Wii U eShop. You could literally just hop on the eShop and buy a Mario Tennis game that is nearly 2 decades old but has much more content then Ultra Smash has.

I'm also surprised that Ultra Smash, is quite lacking in the character department. I like the addition of Rosalina and the return of Toad, but the Sprixie Princess, seriously? Any who, what in the world happened to Diddy Kong, he was like a Mario Tennis regular.

Dr. Mario said:
Educate me, please. I've only played Wii and didn't even scratch the surface of PC games so I've only played a select amount of games ever. I may be providing completely wrong generalizations based on my limited playing experience, so I'd like examples.

the point is that local multiplayer outside of fighting games is mostly dead since the 7th generation of consoles, so singling out Splatoon for that is, to me, kinda odd. Even Halo, which had local co-op as a popular feature since the first game, just ditched it with Halo V.

Ultra Smash is was not worth the hype in the end. It ended up being horrendously executed. It's a horrendous execution of a Mario Tennis game. It's what a Mario Tennis game shouldn't be.

Glowsquid said:
Dr. Mario said:

the point is that local multiplayer outside of fighting games is mostly dead since the 7th generation of consoles, so singling out Splatoon for that is, to me, kinda odd. Even Halo, which had local co-op as a popular feature since the first game, just ditched it with Halo V.

I really don't like the way this is going in any game, I mostly don't call out other games because of my ignorance of them. I remember the PR bull*bleep* with Halo 5

"oh it would be difficult for people to get together and play so that's why we didn't include it" or some crap like that.

The Golden Yoshi said:
I'm also surprised that Ultra Smash, is quite lacking in the character department. I like the addition of Rosalina and the return of Toad, but the Sprixie Princess, seriously? Any who, what in the world happened to Diddy Kong, he was like a Mario Tennis regular.

Wasn't like Baby Mario more of a "regular" than Diddy Kong? I'm more baffled he and Birdo got left out, considering they were brought back to be playable in Tennis 64 (well, it wasn't Baby Mario's first appearance but Tennis was pretty influential for future game rosters)

PowerKamek said:
I've been waiting for this game since E3 and its worthless. I guess I'm gonna buy Power Tennis instead.

Buy the GameCube original Power Tennis used, along with a GameCube Controller and Memory Card. The Wii New Play Control version sucks. Also do you have a GameCube to play it? You can easily get a GameCube used for like very cheap. It costs like 40 bucks.

Alucard and Zero said:
Buy the GameCube original Power Tennis used, along with a GameCube Controller and Memory Card. The Wii New Play Control version sucks. Also do you have a GameCube to play it? You can easily get a GameCube used for like very cheap. It costs like 40 bucks.
Thanks for the info :)

Back