Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash

It's rubbish. I've seen the Mario franchise drop the ball in the past but this might just be the worst ball dropper yet.

This is currently the lowest-rated Mario Tennis game on Metacritic, with only a 61%. Pretty sure I'm not going to buy it. Honestly though, I don't care how crappy any current Nintendo game is as long as Xenoblade X is good. If any of you hate this game, could you tell me why? I mean, 61% is a pretty low score for Mario.

Because of a severe lack of content.

More bare-bones than a Dry Bones.

The core gameplay is good, but it's lacking in substance. It's like ordering a burger from In-n-Out and getting only the bun and the patty. It tastes good, but it's not very satisfying.

Yeah, I know Eurogamer likened it to half-portion size from your favorite restaurant but portion sizes are huuuuge in this country and I'd love it that I get to finish my meals for once (not to mention, have space for dessert, which I never have) in an American restaurant.

Dr. Mario said:
More bare-bones than a Dry Bones.

The core gameplay is good, but it's lacking in substance. It's like ordering a burger from In-n-Out and getting only the bun and the patty. It tastes good, but it's not very satisfying.

And your being over charged.

Even lower scored than those funky Mario Tennis handhelds aside from Open. Hell, Open is like a masterpiece compared to this game. It has a Metascore of 69m which is an average like, 10 points higher, a pretty huge difference.

I think the AVGN would describe this game in one sentence with three words.

"THIS GAME SUCKS", which is what he said as his first words ever on the internet in his Simon's Quest review.

Alucard and Zero said:
I think the AVGN would describe this game in one sentence with three words.

"THIS GAME SUCKS", which is what he said as his first words ever on the internet in his Simon's Quest review.
I think he'd more likely say "I'D RATHER DRINK BARF RIGHT OUT OF A GOAT'S MOUTH THAN PLAY THIS GAME" or something like that.

Viper26 said:
Looks like I won't be buying this garbage game if it lacks stuff. Should've been released in spring.

Yeah. This is what happens if you rush a game that people had high expectations of. There is absolutely no effort in Ultra Smash whatsoever. Even Duke Nukem Forever (a vaporware) had high expectation but it took so damn long to come out and it ended up disappointing everyone. But guess what Duke Nukem Forever is much much worse because of repeated delays which is unacceptable for a game with high expectations and hype.

At this point, I'd rather play Mario's Tennis on the Virtual Boy. At least then I can play as Koopa Troopa and Donkey Kong Jr.

I think 61% on Metacritc is lenient. Even though the game gets praise for graphics and smooth controls, there's nothing else there. You can get about 4-5 hours out of this before getting board. I guess it's playable but playable and boring still makes a pretty poor game.

61% on metacritic<

wow i thought that would be way below 50 tbh, seeing how the game also got abysmal ratings by some big publications

I think 60% is a fair score actually. The game still plays very decently. It's not ridden with game destroying bugs. Hell, first-timers will enjoy the game, maybe, as well as casual fans. People can still have fun with it. However, the minus drop compared to other games is pretty huge because of its lack of content, and I think 10% lower score from the other low rated game, Mario Tennis Open, is reasonable.

I also think that 60/100 is a fair score for the game for the reasons Baby Luigi provided. It's not a broken game, it's just barren. Finally, don't base your opinion too much on the numbers.

Baby Luigi said:
I think 60% is a fair score actually. The game still plays very decently. It's not ridden with game destroying bugs. Hell, first-timers will enjoy the game, maybe, as well as casual fans. People can still have fun with it. However, the minus drop compared to other games is pretty huge because of its lack of content, and I think 10% lower score from the other low rated game, Mario Tennis Open, is reasonable.

I think Power Tennis was much much more enjoyable than Ultra Smash. Now I have absolutely no reason to play Ultra Smash when I can play Power Tennis which is the vastly far superior Mario Tennis game (if not the last real good Mario Tennis game). I think Ultra Smash deserves a 3 out of 10. So really Ultra Smash got it's ass handed by Power Tennis.

What a disappointment Camelot and Nintendo. Shame on you both Camelot and Nintendo.

Okay, it's a well-established fact at this point that Mario Tennis: Ultra Smashing Suckage sucks. Anything else we have to offer? Like, this is the first game with Rosalina in another outfit? And this game has potential amiibo support, meaning amiibo for Waluigi, Daisy, and Sprixie Princess?

Alucard and Zero said:
I think Power Tennis was much much more enjoyable than Ultra Smash. Now I have absolutely no reason to play Ultra Smash when I can play Power Tennis which is the vastly far superior Mario Tennis game (if not the last real good Mario Tennis game). I think Ultra Smash deserves a 3 out of 10. So really Ultra Smash got it's ass handed by Power Tennis.

What a disappointment Camelot and Nintendo. Shame on you both Camelot and Nintendo.

Good Point. The Wii U is capable of better gameplay and more content, then a game released eleven years before. Power Tennis is definitely my favourite game in the series. Shame that an ambitious title such Ultra Smash, can't hold a candle to a Gamecube game, which mind you isn't as powerful as a Wii U.

Dr. Mario said:
Okay, it's a well-established fact at this point that Mario Tennis: Ultra Smashing Suckage sucks. Anything else we have to offer? Like, this is the first game with Rosalina in another outfit? And this game has potential amiibo support, meaning amiibo for Waluigi, Daisy, and Sprixie Princess?
Positive things about this game:

1. What you said
2. It has great graghics. :bowser:

There's more but that's all I'm going to say.

Let me just say Mario Sports Mix got 64 yet how much more things does that game have.

I loved Mario Sports Mix though. It just has very questionable design choices but the game was a ton of fun.

Myrmidon NSY said:
Let me just say Mario Sports Mix got 64 yet how much more things does that game have.
An even *bleep*tier roster plus Diddy Kong for starters.

They really took the 4-games-in-1 aspect really far, did they?

I loved Mario Sports Mix, though. The only thing holding it down was its roster, but it had pretty good content.

If it had Birdo, Paratroopa, Fly Guy, Dixie Kong, and Boo like Hoops and just axed the FF characters, i would have been just fine with the roster, maybe add Toadette or Rosalina.

Back