Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash

Dr. Mario said:
888 MB is significantly less than a Gamecube game, Baby Luigi.

To be fair, a GameCube disc holds up to 1.35 GB, and as far as I know, Super Smash Bros. Melee is the only GameCube title that I can think of, which uses more memory than Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash.

Dr. Mario said:

A PS1/Sega Saturn game could hold this much data. Even a PlayStation 2 Format CD-ROM game holds this much.

This is bollocks

MnSG said:
Dr. Mario said:

To be fair, a GameCube disc holds up to 1.35 GB, and as far as I know, Super Smash Bros. Melee is the only GameCube title that I can think of, which uses more memory than Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash.
That's still a significant 30% less storage, and since I've toyed with emulators before, 888 MB is kind of petty for a Gamecube game, much less a Wii U game. Not sure how memory plays here, but Melee was developed in 6 months, so there.

MnSG said:
Super Smash Bros. Melee is the only GameCube title that I can think of, which uses more memory than Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash.

Tales of Symphonia comes on 2 discs.

freakworld said:
Tales of Symphonia comes on 2 discs.

Now that I think about it, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: Battle Nexus also had 2 GameCube discs, which meant that its contents were too large to be placed onto a single GameCube disc.

MnSG said:
Now that I think about it, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: Battle Nexus also had 2 GameCube discs, which meant that its contents were too large to be placed onto a single GameCube disc.

Or it was very poorly compressed.

Yeah more games should take Resident Evil 2 for N64 as an example for excellent compressing.

They've somehow managed to get the game down from 2 PS1 discs to one N64 Cartridge.

Also the Metroid Prime Trilogy which is like, 2 Gamcube Games and a full Wii Game on one Wii Disc.

Don't forget Pokémon Gold and Silver on the Game Boy Color.

They were able to fit the entire Kanto region from the first game.

rip iwata

freakworld said:
Also the Metroid Prime Trilogy which is like, 2 Gamcube Games and a full Wii Game on one Wii Disc.

A dual-layered Wii disc holds up to 7.92 GB, which adds to this.

Anyway, like I've said already, the amount of memory that Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash uses is quite a downer when even New Super Mario Bros. U uses more memory on the Wii U's hard drive.

It's not THAT bad, but if there were any infamous ultra-barren titles that ended up disappointing immensely rather than actually sucking, then Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash is that.

still has a better multiplayer than Splatoon for starters...

Greg Universe said:
so is this basically going to be mario tennis 06

More like the King of Fighter 2012 of Mario's Tennis

(though KOF 2012's HD sprites probably required more effort so that's not fair to it).

Shenmue II on the Dreamcast (Japan and Europe) required like 4 GD ROMs while the Xbox version uses 1 whole DVD.

On another subject, it's very disturbing that Nintendo does a poor job with roster balance. I mean seriously, 4 Power characters, while the other types have less reps?! That's just not right at all.

Even the following roster would've been much more balanced with the characters and character types...

All-Around
Mario
Luigi
Yoshi
Birdo
Ludwig

Technical
Peach
Daisy
Green Sprixie Princess
Larry
Wendy

Speedy
Toad
Diddy Kong
Bowser Jr.
Toadette
Iggy

Powerful
Wario
Donkey Kong
Bowser
Petey Piranha
Roy

Defensive
Waluigi
Wiggler
Honey Queen
Dry Bowser
Morton

Tricky
Rosalina
Luma
Boo
Koopa Paratroopa
Lemmy

Alucard and Zero said:
Shenmue II on the Dreamcast (Japan and Europe) required like 4 GD ROMs while the Xbox version uses 1 whole DVD.

GD Rom Space was one of the reasons the Dreamcast was outplayed by the PS2 and the Xbox. Even though the Gamecube wasn't much better, Nintendo wasn't struggling that much to begin with.

MnSG said:
On another subject, it's very disturbing that Nintendo does a poor job with roster balance. I mean seriously, 4 Power characters, while the other types have less reps?! That's just not right at all.
I'm more disappointed that Bowser Jr. turned out Tricky than Defensive because honestly, what's better than using a machine that helps with your otherwise poor reach?

But with balance, maybe Rosalina can be Tricky.

Reviews have come out and they are pretty negative. I've seen a couple reviews and I am shocked by the state of the final game.

This sounds like a lazy cash grab attempt. This amount of content in the game for $40 is unacceptable. No variety of courts, next to no modes (even tournament is gone) and next to none single player support. Also the really dickish choice to not add online with friends is baffling. It shows the developers of this game do not care with what they are making. If they cared, they would want it to live up to past games and surpass them. MP10 had more to offer than this and I wasn't happy with that. This was clearly made this within less than a year and rushed to holiday release.

I am confident in my choice not to purchase this.

man between the reviews for this and amiibo party nintendo can't catch a break

i'm honestly not surprised though, this has been one of their weakest holiday line-ups in ages

Back