Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash

You know something is wrong when Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival has way more content than this game.

who even cares for this game except for parents who dont know what else to buy for chistmas and people on this forum anymore?

Nozomi Toujou said:
hey at least it's not $60

aka the only plus side

teh grafix

Myrmidon NSY said:
Reviews have come out and they are pretty negative. I've seen a couple reviews and I am shocked by the state of the final game.

This sounds like a lazy cash grab attempt. This amount of content in the game for $40 is unacceptable. No variety of courts, next to no modes (even tournament is gone) and next to none single player support. Also the really dickish choice to not add online with friends is baffling. It shows the developers of this game do not care with what they are making. If they cared, they would want it to live up to past games and surpass them. MP10 had more to offer than this and I wasn't happy with that. This was clearly made this within less than a year and rushed to holiday release.
It goes for $50 last time I remember. But not even $40 can justify its price tag.

Not sure if it's the developers not caring or they just heavily rushed this game to meet the deadlines. I mean, the graphics and character-specific animations are there, so maybe they kind of cared?

GBAToad said:
man between the reviews for this and amiibo party nintendo can't catch a break

i'm honestly not surprised though, this has been one of their weakest holiday line-ups in ages
Unlike Ultra Smash, people expected amiibo Festival to be shitty from the start

I literally read the IGN review and a 4.8/10? This lowers my expectations a little, but I'm still going to get the game. Hopefully. i get my moneys worth

Dr. Mario said:
GBAToad said:

i'm honestly not surprised though, this has been one of their weakest holiday line-ups in ages
Unlike Ultra Smash, people expected amiibo Festival to be shitty from the start

But in the end, Amiibo Festival looks to be quite ok.

Ultra Smash is the worst Mario Tennis evah! It's even worse than Open.

And again, Power Tennis was the last really good Mario Tennis game. Any one agreeing with this statement of mine?

Ultra Smash is an incomplete tennis game and is much less boring than Wii Sports Club's tennis but even worse.

It doesn't have the fun factor of Power Tennis. It doesn't have any redeeming factors in it.

The Golden Yoshi said:
I literally read the IGN review and a 4.8/10? This lowers my expectations a little, but I'm still going to get the game. Hopefully. i get my moneys worth
That's an understatement for everyone else. :P

Cirdec said:
Dr. Mario said:
GBAToad said:

Unlike Ultra Smash, people expected amiibo Festival to be *bleep*ty from the start

But in the end, Amiibo Festival looks to be quite ok.
No, amiibo Festival is even worse off. They even compared it unfavorably to Mario Freaking Party 10.

Alucard and Zero said:
Ultra Smash is the worst Mario Tennis evah! It's even worse than Open.

And again, Power Tennis was the last really good Mario Tennis game. Any one agreeing with this statement of mine?

Ultra Smash is an incomplete tennis game and is much less boring than Wii Sports Club's tennis but even worse.

It doesn't have the fun factor of Power Tennis. It doesn't have any redeeming factors in it.
It's probably the worst Mario-themed Mario Tennis, but I still think those strange handhelds where Mario is an unlockable character and Wario is omitted in Power Tour is even more of a turn-off, but I guess those games are good in their own right since a sizeable amount of people beg for the RPG mode to be in Mario-themed Mario Tennis games.

GBAToad said:

They're probably just phoning it in from here on out so they can get the Wii U over and done with.

I was looking forward to buying Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash this Friday, but on the looks of several negative reviews, I think I'll wait until Christmas and see if it's popular at the time. :dk:

PowerKamek said:
I was looking forward to buying Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash this Friday, but on the looks of several negative reviews, I think I'll wait until Christmas and see if it's popular at the time. :dk:

I don't think Ultra Smash is worth it. I think you're better off with Power Tennis.

LGM sadly the fact that a game is rushed is never a good sign that they care. Also what I learned from modern gaming is that graphics are done to make a game look better than it is, this game looks nice but was likely done for that reason.

I'm really disappointed by Nintendo's efforts recently while they do put effort into their major games like Smash Bros, Mario Maker and Splatoon. They seem to be creating games that are rushed (which goes against Miyamoto's statement) and lacking. This, Amiibo party and Mario Party 10 were just cash generators. I don't think I've seen this lack of effort put into first party Nintendo titles ever (even NSMB2 at least had some care put into it), honestly it's really sad.

Even so, with Splatoon, it still has a pretty damn glaring omission that I won't forget that's becoming a fucking trend with shooters (with Halo 5 following squat), so I'm not exactly singing any praises for it either.

Myrmidon NSY said:
LGM sadly the fact that a game is rushed is never a good sign that they care. Also what I learned from modern gaming is that graphics are done to make a game look better than it is, this game looks nice but was likely done for that reason.

I'm really disappointed by Nintendo's efforts recently while they do put effort into their major games like Smash Bros, Mario Maker and Splatoon. They seem to be creating games that are rushed (which goes against Miyamoto's statement) and lacking. This, Amiibo party and Mario Party 10 were just cash generators. I don't think I've seen this lack of effort put into first party Nintendo titles ever (even NSMB2 at least had some care put into it), honestly it's really sad.

I will tell you that we've seen Call of Duty do much worse along with the usual EA Sports garbage.

BLOF and LGM say that Galaxy 2 had less thought put into it's development. But guess what Ultra Smash is even worse because at least Galaxy 2 had more years of development than Ultra Smash.

Even worse is Mega Man X6 for the Sony PlayStation 1 (PS one). Like really it was rushed quickly after MMX5. Keiji Inafune told Capcom to make X5 the last X game but they didn't listen.

Don't you dare bring up Super Mario Fucking Galaxy 2, I'd rather play Ultra Smash than Super Mario Fucking Galaxy 2 any day of the week.

Besides, if Galaxy 2 had more time to make its game stand out, it has even less of an excuse to be the crap it is now. And it's really pathetic you have to compare Galaxy 2 to Ultra Smash, because Ultra Smash is a mediocre game, so it shows you how pathetic Galaxy 2 really is.

Baby Luigi said:
Don't you dare bring up Super Mario *bleep*ing Galaxy 2, I'd rather play Ultra Smash than Super Mario *bleep*ing Galaxy 2 any day of the week.

Besides, if Galaxy 2 had more time to make its game stand out, it has even less of an excuse to be the crap it is now. And it's really pathetic you have to compare Galaxy 2 to Ultra Smash, because Ultra Smash is a mediocre game, so it shows you how pathetic Galaxy 2 really is.
I think the first Super Mario Galaxy game is better, the second one didn't bring me the excitement like the first one. Also, I'd sure rather play Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash than Super Mario Galaxy 2. I completely agree with you.

Baby Luigi said:
Don't you dare bring up Super Mario Fucking Galaxy 2, I'd rather play Ultra Smash than Super Mario Fucking Galaxy 2 any day of the week.

As Miyamoto said "A rushed game is forever bad."

Galaxy 2 doesn't fall under the category of being rushed. EA's so called Madden and FIFA garbage falls under that category along with Konami's Pro Evolution Soccer/Winning Eleven series, and even Mega Man X6 for the friggin Sony PlayStation 1.

Indie games have more thought into them since they're new. Examples include Keiji Inafune's Mighty No 9 (the allegedly so called spiritual successor to Mega Man) and Koji Igarashi's Bloodstained Ritual of the Night which spiritually succeeds the Castlevania series after Mercury Stream literally destroyed such a nice franchise.

Galaxy 2 does not fall under the category of Mega Man X6, Windows Millennium Edition, the Pro Evolution Soccer series, Madden, FIFA, New Super Mario Bros.2, Street Fighter whatever whatever version, Mass Effect 3, Marvel vs Capcom blah blah. It is better than Street Fighter whatever whatever, Windows Millennium Edition, Madden, FIFA, New Super Mario Bros. 2, Konami's Pro Evolution Soccer/Winning Eleven series, MMX6, Mass Effect 3 and every other cashgrabby product I can think off the top of my head.

Galaxy 2 at least has content of it's own to make it stand out from Galaxy 1 and not some expansion pack to Galaxy 1.

Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash falls under the category of MMX6 because it was developed quickly with not enough extra development time to have it be polished.

Baby Luigi said:
Even so, with Splatoon, it still has a pretty damn glaring omission that I won't forget that's becoming a fucking trend with shooters (with Halo 5 following squat), so I'm not exactly singing any praises for it either.
Without trying to derail the thread entirely, I honestly don't understand why you and lgm are so burnt about local multiplayer in Splatoon. Like, every time the game is mentioned you both feel the need to state why you think its the Worst Thing Ever that the game doesn't have a proper local 1v1.

Even IF they were to attempt to emulate the experience for offline play, Local 4v4 Splatoon wouldn't work because:
>Split-screening the game prevents the use of the super jump for both players because there is only a single game pad. Having actually played the game, the super jump is vital to respawning and helping your team, otherwise you're stuck at the end of the map again.
>You could argue that they just delegate the ability to a simple button command but even so the map itself is important for observing where the hell the opposing team's ink is so you can actually cover it. It's not like the little Mario Kart 8 minimaps you can easily put on the screen either, because you need to be able to see your team and not see the other team without the use of an Echolocator, which give the game an actual challenge.
>given that the octoling AI they designed for Octo Valley is absolute shit, designing an Inkling AI that doesn't become repetitive to play against (looking at Smash here) seems like a momentous task for a mode the game doesn't revolve around.
>Splitscreening the online game so that two people can be put on the same team, share the game pad and play together would easily increase load time and the amount of effort put on the Wii U to process all of the ink. For a game that already struggles with its netcode, i cannot imagine this ever being feasible.

Aside from that, if you believe that simple 1v1 turf wars should exist then no, because the maps are way too big for a pair of inklings to cover by themselves and make it an actual competitive game akin to the online mode. Even if they were to reduce the size of the maps or create special 1v1 maps, the competitive aspect wouldn't work because of the reasons I stated above (the lack of the map on the screen, the fact that you aren't supposed to be able to see the other team, and to add to that, the respawn time is atrocious so and killing your only opponent time after time would easily allow you to cover the map and tbh it wouldn't be much of a game).

What they have given players is a simple mode that allows for two players to vs. each other competitively without the need for viewing the map because the balloons are well marked on both screens and inking the whole map (despite how large they are) isn't important. However, it isn't the best mode because the game wasn't designed for 1v1, it was entirely designed around online single player, being put on a team, and the fact that players are mostly obscured from each other. Reading the Iwata asks for the game tells you exactly that.

I love online games, so I thought of the idea of doing something as a team.
Sakaguchi That’s right. Not being able to see anyone hiding in the ink, or being vaguely able to see someone there completely changes the point of the game.

From the same article it also seems as though 1v1 offline was a complete afterthought because they focused entirely on the online aspect, and tbh it payed off. Splatoon is fun. Constantly complaining about its lack of 1v1 is fruitless and annoying.

@ultra smash biz, i don't doubt that nintendo wanted to care about making it a good release, but the game is clearly rushed because of the timeframe they wanted to release it in, and it unfortunately shows. power tennis will forever remain king.

Myrmidon NSY said:

Maybe, but I still really want to know what the hell happened in the walls of the Camelot company. They don't usually botch their games like this. Okay, maybe Golden Sun and Mario Tennis Open weren't great, but they were solid games (I think in Dark Dawn's case, it's disappointing, but not bad) but Ultra Smash is spectacularly disappointing. The effort is still there with the polished graphics and very good animations that surpasses Mario Kart 8's visuals, but it's definitely not complete.

Even though Splatoon and Mario Maker are pretty shitty in their own way, I'd say at least they had more effort put into them.

Alucard and Zero said:
Galaxy 2 at least has content of it's own to make it stand out from Galaxy 1 and not some expansion pack to Galaxy 1.

Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash falls under the category of MMX6 because it was developed quickly with not enough extra development time to have it be polished.
Galaxy 2 isn't rushed. It's just a shameless cash-grab that coattails off Super Mario Galaxy's success and got a free pass from critics and gamers.

*derail*
Splatoon is built to be a multiplayer game. If local splitscreen really does have these issues, then it's a major design flaw of the gameplay, and they encountered an unfortunate dead end. I don't know how valid the "hardware" limitation argument is, and I've only seen glimpses from my friend playing it. Anyway, we're griping about lack of a decent splitscreen game because it's a core function of a decent multiplayer game, moreso in console games, and without it, you can't play with your friends in person unless they themselves have a game, console, controllers, and another TV in the same house. That's really bad, especially in a game that's supposed to be about fun with friends (and its initial release didn't even have a decent match-making system, which only exacerbates it). I appreciate the risk-taking, the innovation, the huge effort and means to make it fun and addicting, and I want to like the game, but I can't. It's very disappointing that it's not for me or my sister to enjoy, and we've looked forward to it, too. I don't hate it because it's a bad game, I hate it because it's crushing disappointment, especially when other FPS multiplayer games do a better job at handling splitscreen multiplayer. If it all boils down to console and stuff, it makes me wonder if Splatoon will be any different if it was on PC.

GBAToad said:
Without trying to derail the thread entirely, I honestly don't understand why you and lgm are so burnt about local multiplayer in Splatoon. Like, every time the game is mentioned you both feel the need to state why you think its the Worst Thing Ever that the game doesn't have a proper local 1v1.

It's a multiplayer game. Therefore, couch co-op is expected to be an option. I don't even want a 1 v. 1 play, I'd like to be in my own team of Inklings, against another team of Inklings, with the second player in them, at max, and that it can be adjusted accordingly depending on how much players you want in the battle at a time.

GBAToad said:
Even IF they were to attempt to emulate the experience for offline play, Local 4v4 Splatoon wouldn't work because:
>Split-screening the game prevents the use of the super jump for both players because there is only a single game pad. Having actually played the game, the super jump is vital to respawning and helping your team, otherwise you're stuck at the end of the map again.
>You could argue that they just delegate the ability to a simple button command but even so the map itself is important for observing where the hell the opposing team's ink is so you can actually cover it. It's not like the little Mario Kart 8 minimaps you can easily put on the screen either, because you need to be able to see your team and not see the other team without the use of an Echolocator, which give the game an actual challenge.

I still don't see how that's difficult to implement. The Gamepad user and the TV get their own screen, correct? So why can't the TV user get their own map while the Gamepad user get their own map? If "fairness" is something that needs to be argued, literally every other splitscreen game has this "screen-cheating" issue that's up to you and your friends, not the game itself to decide. Besides, my experience with these is that you're far more focused on the action in your own screen, not your friends, so you would hardly pay attention to your friends' screen for screen cheating.

GBAToad said:
>given that the octoling AI they designed for Octo Valley is absolute *bleep*, designing an Inkling AI that doesn't become repetitive to play against (looking at Smash here) seems like a momentous task for a mode the game doesn't revolve around.

That's not an excuse. To me, it's like, "yeah we're not focused on this, so let's make the AI and other stuff as *bleep*ty as possible". Other online-focused shooters have adequate offline splitscreen modes with adequate AI, so really, this game certainly has no excuse for *bleep* AI.

GBAToad said:
>Splitscreening the online game so that two people can be put on the same team, share the game pad and play together would easily increase load time and the amount of effort put on the Wii U to process all of the ink. For a game that already struggles with its netcode, i cannot imagine this ever being feasible.

I don't really care for that option anyway.

GBAToad said:
Aside from that, if you believe that simple 1v1 turf wars should exist then no, because the maps are way too big for a pair of inklings to cover by themselves and make it an actual competitive game akin to the online mode. Even if they were to reduce the size of the maps or create special 1v1 maps, the competitive aspect wouldn't work because of the reasons I stated above (the lack of the map on the screen, the fact that you aren't supposed to be able to see the other team, and to add to that, the respawn time is atrocious so and killing your only opponent time after time would easily allow you to cover the map and tbh it wouldn't be much of a game).

That's not what I'm focused in in the slightest. To be frank, I don't give a dang about 1 v 1, because this is a team-based shooter, it relies on cooperation and teamwork rather than P v P matches; it's a bit like expecting TF2 to have 1 v 1 or League of Legends to have 1 v 1 when that defeats the purpose of the entire game. I'm focused about regular 4 v 4 co-op or 2 v 2 co-op, not 1 v 1, in which the game already sorta has by making you pop balloons.

Look, disclaimer here, I never wanted to hate Splatoon. I'll always support any improvements to its gameplay, and I will support future releases and I want this game to become a successful franchise. However, the lack of a decent local multiplayer, whether it be 1 v 1, 2 v 2, and 4 v 4 severely hinders options and enjoy ability, especially if you want to play with your friends. I will retract my statements and any sort of negative feelings I have towards the game if a later update addresses the problem I have. For now, though, it's a glaring weakness that puts Splatoon in the "no-buy" category for me, despite everything else good about it, because there's absolutely no point in purchasing this game if I cannot enjoy it with friends or family.

btw, Splatoon WILL be a better game on PC. Shooter controls far much better with a mouse than dual analog sticks. Hell, even I think it would be better off as a PC game rather than a console title.

*derail* splatoon was built to be a online multiplayer shooter, and i can see how local multiplayer wouldn't be good with super jump because you can't really tap the tv, and having another button would get really confusing imho

Baby Luigi said:
Nozomi Toujou said:

aka the only plus side

teh grafix
they're regular wii u graphics

Nozomi Toujou said:
Baby Luigi said:
Nozomi Toujou said:

aka the only plus side

teh grafix

It's still good graphics. Like saying, 3d world is just regular mario gameplay, y'know

if you want to continue arguing about splatoon btw, just take it somewhere else, not here. maybe thru PMs instead

Baby Luigi said:
It's still good graphics. Like saying, 3d world is just regular mario gameplay, y'know
yeah i know they're good graphics, and 3d world has good gameplay. in terms of ultra smash, the graphics are not worth $40, as the game is just cut content. 3d world, however, is worth the $60 (is it even $60 anymore) because it has actual charm and good things to it

Nozomi Toujou said:
*derail* splatoon was built to be a online multiplayer shooter, and i can see how local multiplayer wouldn't be good with super jump because you can't really tap the tv, and having another button would get really confusing imho

Baby Luigi said:
Nozomi Toujou said:

aka the only plus side

teh grafix

Plus a PS4 would offer much more detailed graphics than a Wii U because it is the most powerful console of this gen.

It's a shame that Nintendo didn't use 2012 video hardware and a PWRficient CPU for backwards compatibility since the PowerPC instructions sets are backwards compatible.

Nintendo has been using weaker hardware with the Wii and Wii U.

Nozomi Toujou said:
Baby Luigi said:
yeah i know they're good graphics, and 3d world has good gameplay. in terms of ultra smash, the graphics are not worth $40, as the game is just cut content. 3d world, however, is worth the $60 (is it even $60 anymore) because it has actual charm and good things to it
I admit, I think Ultra Smash has more charm in its characters than 3D World. Characters are beautifully animated and are more expressive in Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash. It's just that they're stuck in a bare-bones game and that makes it even more painful to see this loss of potential.

Back