Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash

Glowsquid said:
someone on neogaf said:
GameXplain had footage of the main menu in this video.

- No Tournament mode
- No Ring Shot mode
- No options menu (WTF?)
- No gimmick courts or unlockable courts
- The renders on the character select screen are final
- Not only does the game not have an opening CGI cutscene, but it doesn't have an opening period; it just abruptly starts

"Calling it Mario Tennis is almost giving it too much credit."

why cant i get my worthy successor to power tennis ;-;
;-;

not really interested anymore, sadly
i didn't think they could make a tennis game more barebones than mto but i was wrong
the drought they've got for the holiday season must've hit them hard

Glowsquid said:
someone on neogaf said:
GameXplain had footage of the main menu in this video.

- No Tournament mode
- No Ring Shot mode
- No options menu (WTF?)
- No gimmick courts or unlockable courts
- The renders on the character select screen are final
- Not only does the game not have an opening CGI cutscene, but it doesn't have an opening period; it just abruptly starts

"Calling it Mario Tennis is almost giving it too much credit."

why cant i get my worthy successor to power tennis ;-;
What. The. Flying. Humps.

Even at $40, this game is overpriced.

You can't even turn off the flipping music that means, and if there is one thing I look forward to in a Mario Tennis/Golf game, it's turning off the music, as strange as I a,. We didn't have that in Tennis Open, but we did in Mario Golf World Tour (if I recall correctly).

Why is Tennis getting the shaft compared to golf?

Dr. Mario said:
Why is Tennis getting the shaft compared to golf?
i mean if anything this game is convincing me to buy mario golf world tour because it's apparently really good with it's dlc and story(?) mode (i haven't really looked at the game much so idk if that's the right way to describe it). it certainly seems far better than Mario Tennis Open and what Ultra Smash is turning out to be

mto really burned me out on mario sports games tbh

I loved Open though, I wasted a bunch of time on it.

Looks like Ultra Smash is also nixing the records menu, which stinks butt

I gave Open to my brother. I might buy this because my family will be "oh look, Mario Tennis" and I'll be "yeah sure", even though Canada's dollar is still in the gutter.

Glowsquid said:
someone on neogaf said:
rip waaaa shenanigans

if gamexplain says

this game was just made to fulfill the expectations costumers have at a full price wii u game (gamepad supports, split screen with both gamepad and tv, multiplayer, online, amiibo, hd, mario)

then its legit bad

because that guy's overrating a lot of stuff

Jason Voorhees said:
the gcn and wii were like the best era for mario spin-offs

I totally agree with this one.

Emmett Brown said:
if gamexplain says

this game was just made to fulfill the expectations costumers have at a full price wii u game (gamepad supports, split screen with both gamepad and tv, multiplayer, online, amiibo, hd, mario)

then its legit bad

because that guy's overrating a lot of stuff

But I really agree with him

This game looks sooooo lazily made it's not even funny. Not even having Rosalina on it could make be buy it, especially after reading what Gamexplain said about it.

I hate that Camelot is being this lazy. I was really looking forward to a good sequel to the great Mario Tennis Open, and we get this choppy piece of crap. They've been using the same goddamn announcer for the last freaking FOUR installments!! And what's with the character selection screen? It's so lifeless and generic! This looks just like a Top Spin game with Mario characters plastered on it.

And yes, I know that the game hasn't even been released, but you can already tell this is going to suck. The same thing happened with Mario Party 10: the second it was revealed I knew it was going to suck, and boy was I SO NOT wrong!

You still have to wonder about potential DLC though.

It's almost like with Splatoon's dilemma, where it really needed the updates to keep itself going.

Well yeah, dlc is a thing, but this doesn't feel like a complete Mario Tennis game. I'd rather they delay the game to work on it some more than release it as is.

How it's looking right now, I'd probably get as much enjoyment playing Mario Power Tennis and staring at Rosalina's artwork for this game.

Magikrazy said:
Well yeah, dlc is a thing, but this doesn't feel like a complete Mario Tennis game. I'd rather they delay the game to work on it some more than release it as is.

How it's looking right now, I'd probably get as much enjoyment playing Mario Power Tennis and staring at Rosalina's artwork for this game.

I too agree that this game is very underwhelming and not really worth buying, which will probably leave this holiday season without any good holiday releases for the Wii U; Super Mario Maker and Yoshi's Woolly World are already released worldwide, while Star Fox Zero got the delay treatment.

Hell yeah, Power Tennis is far superior than this game and it was the best Mario Tennis and the last real good Mario Tennis game.

Plus Jen Taylor as Peach was awesome.

http://nintendoeverything.com/mario-tennis-ultra-smash-screenshots-show-a-couple-of-secret-characters/
Mario-Tennis-Ultra-Smash-7.jpg
Mario-Tennis-Ultra-Smash-8.jpg

rip gcn era bowser jr with bandana up

You'd swear he was joined by the hip to that clown copter.

Except they show a picture where he's clearly not.
I don't mind what they did here for Jr., looks interesting.

nintendo world's preview is pretty brutal:

Other ''improvements'' aren't exactly mind-blowing either. When your opponent does a weak shot, you can perform an Ultra Smash if you are quick enough. It will blast the ball at an extremely high speed and that is certainly harder to react to. The whole idea is interesting, but that almighty Ultra Smash shot is no guarantee to win points. It would make the player learn more from their mistakes if that was possible and ensure that they would charge many of their shots. Now it feels sort of there and another addition to the charge shots system introduced in Mario Tennis Open. Talking about those charge shots, there is less of indicator if you are doing them correctly. The Nintendo 3DS version would make the circle around you glow for that critical feedback, but you don't really see that in the Wii U game.

This makes the regular tennis portion of it less fun as well. Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash is absolutely playable and can be decent in passing, but the whole system feels like a game that doesn’t even match Mario Tennis Open’s features.

The more controversial thing is that there is just one stadium with nine different courts. While this one stadium is nicely detailed, it drains the energy out of you so quickly that I couldn't care less about what I was doing. There are some interesting courts there like Mushroom, Carpet and Ice, but ultimately just all felt sort of there.

That is fine, I thought to myself. There are always the online options that Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash offers. The moment I opened up that online tab, my jaw dropped to the floor. The game has no support for lobbies or communities, which pretty much means that you can't play with friends. The only options on entering are Singles and Doubles. By selecting one of these, there are some limited stuff available before entering a match. There are Relaxed and Serious options, with the latter allowing you to play some ranked battles and grow your standing in the world. You are free to choose any of the standard modes, but unlike local multiplayer, you don't have any control about the length of the match. You can choose for a tiebreaker or a two-game, one-set match. In Doubles, you can play together with a local friend or an Amiibo of your choosing, but that is only freedom you are going to get.

Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash feels like a disappointment in every given way. With one stadium and limited online options, you already see how this game is shaping up. Then you also take into account the slight changes to the formula and how little everything in the game seems to matter. The game feels like a gap filler and not a great one. It fills the niche for a Mario sports title on Wii U, but it also feels like a fall from grace at the same time. Even when compared to Mario Tennis Open, Camelot wasn't inventive or creative with this one. That makes the situation so darn depressing.

I think I can file this under the skip folder.

Back