Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash

Yeah but that was his original category in 64

It would be interesting if Toad was a Power character.

But we already have Metal Mario and Piss Yoshi for smallish Power characters.

Emmett Brown said:
look at rosalina in smash

if that doesnt scream power i dont know what does

You mean the game where she relies on Luma to do a majority of the fighting? That screams magical, not physical power.

yeah but i dont think theres a magic stat in mario tennis

anyways its probably got something to do with stat balancing anyways, aka just having similar numbers of characters in different categories

Mcmadness said:
Emmett Brown said:
look at rosalina in smash

if that doesnt scream power i dont know what does

You mean the game where she relies on Luma to do a majority of the fighting? That screams magical, not physical power.
In a Smash sense, isn't Rosalina a defensive character because of her Luma?

Emmett Brown said:
yeah but i dont think theres a magic stat in mario tennis

anyways its probably got something to do with stat balancing anyways, aka just having similar numbers of characters in different categories
Stat balancing isn't really prevalent in the Mario Tennis games to begin with.

Magikrazy said:
If they bring back Yoshi colors, I hope they bring in colors for everyone else.
Of course. In fact, Mario games in general should introduce alternate costumes.

well i dont really play mario tennis, i only remember that they did this in mario & sonic at the olympic games (that was sega, but close enough)

Emmett Brown said:
well i dont really play mario tennis, i only remember that they did this in mario & sonic at the olympic games (that was sega, but close enough)
What are you referring to? Stat balancing? I just need to give you an example: Mario Power Tennis felt unbalanced for some reason. In fact, the "balanced" stat trait is usually of lower numbers than most other stats.

no i refer to there being 4 stat categories in one of the mario & sonic games that all had the same amount of characters iirc

Well, that's true, but games hardly balance their stats. I think, actually, only Mario & Sonic and Mayro Kratt Wii only balanced the stat trait things.

so apparently amiibo function in this game much the same as they do in smash bros
hopefully this means wave 2 of the super mario line is on the way and will have waluigi in it

Michael Myers said:
2nd best character in the game tho.

That's a little shaky to say right now though. Of course, that's a Smash Bros. type of dilemma, which doesn't belong here.

If she has the magical powers to defy gravity then I'm sure she has the magical powers to hit a ball with enough force to be a power character.

Kyon said:
If she has the magical powers to defy gravity then I'm sure she has the magical powers to hit a ball with enough force to be a power character.

That's kind of my thought process too. I mean, she has magic that can propel the ball harder. I mean, power doesn't really surprise me, though it'll be interesting with how she floats and being a strong player.

someone on neogaf said:
GameXplain had footage of the main menu in this video.

- No Tournament mode
- No Ring Shot mode
- No options menu (WTF?)
- No gimmick courts or unlockable courts
- The renders on the character select screen are final
- Not only does the game not have an opening CGI cutscene, but it doesn't have an opening period; it just abruptly starts

"Calling it Mario Tennis is almost giving it too much credit."

why cant i get my worthy successor to power tennis ;-;

tbh i always thought "look, the characters are big!" was a shit gimmick but i at least hoped there's be more to the game than that

Hmmmmmm. I'm just gonna wait and see before I make any final judgements.

Glowsquid said:
someone on neogaf said:

- No Tournament mode
- No Ring Shot mode
- No options menu (WTF?)
- Not only does the game not have an opening CGI cutscene, but it doesn't have an opening period; it just abruptly starts

This does sound quite disappointing when you consider that the past Mario Tennis titles have had a tournament mode.

oh boy if this game really sucks that hard im gonna laugh

mainly because it's going to make the wii u look even worse

Glowsquid said:
someone on neogaf said:

- No Tournament mode
- No Ring Shot mode
- No options menu (WTF?)

Oh man the game is more disappointing than I thought

I knew releasing it this early was a bad idea

Back