Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games

Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to say that I'm recording for all the 21 characters the 4 routines of Rhythmic Gymnastics both in the gameplay and in the replay. At the moment I have recorded all the characters of Team Mario (including Rosalina), while Team Sonic will come later. If you're interested in having the full videos - one for each character, you can PM me.

EDIT: To better understand what I'm talking about and to test insane GIFing (click only if you know what you're doing!), here are four sneak peeks featuring :bowjr:

yA9DCGt.gif

VjT1uZU.gif

4An05nM.gif

TCmCLRc.gif

Ok, now the collection of recordings is complete, I have also the Team Sonic videos including my favorite
AFudaJ9.png

who is actually pretty legit thanks to his giant twin tails that actually add to many excercises of the routines and make him very elegant, in my opinion.

Beside Tails, I think the most appropriate of the group is
KKbqySt.png

who is pretty much my favorite characters among the "legit" ones (read: the ones who were likely meant to perform these routines).

As always, if you're interested in the recordings, contact me!

Like with :bowjr: (well, not really like, since I added two videos in the meantime ;) ), here are two sneak peeks:

ImyVEXc.gif

gygLgos.gif

One of the reasons why i love this game so much is the way that they made each character feel distinct from each other.

If you pick someone like Peach, you'll notice that her speed and power are lacking, but her high technical stat makes her much easier to pick up for newcomers. You only need to mash a few times to activate her slower float.

Someone like Daisy is much harder to pick up. You literally have to press the button at least 50 times a minute to fully charge her much faster, and more uncontrollable Flower Dash. Team sports like rugby makes you take this into account. Do you pick Daisy for her lightning fast specials, or Peach so you can dodge tackles more efficiently?

memoryman3 said:
One of the reasons why i love this game so much is the way that they made each character feel distinct from each other.

If you pick someone like Peach, you'll notice that her speed and power are lacking, but her high technical stat makes her much easier to pick up for newcomers. You only need to mash a few times to activate her slower float.

Someone like Daisy is much harder to pick up. You literally have to press the button at least 50 times a minute to fully charge her much faster, and more uncontrollable Flower Dash. Team sports like rugby makes you take this into account. Do you pick Daisy for her lightning fast specials, or Peach so you can dodge tackles more efficiently?
To create some balancing, all the characters have a sum of the stats equal to 18, it must be said that some characters share the same stats. In quite a few cases (e.g. the Speed in most events, the Power in both the Table Tennis and the Archery events, the Technique in the Javelin Throw event) the difference between minimum and maximum in a stat is pretty noticeable, which is something I like as you can definitely feel how the stats influence the gameplay of the events, although I fear that this can easily lead to issues in terms of balancing.

Sorry for reliving the thread again, hopefully this will be the last time.
For those who didn't want to directly obtain the recordings of the Rhythmic Gymnastics routines but still wanted to watch them, I have uploaded them to YouTube, be sure to use the timestamps in the videos' descriptions to avoid the useless parts (the replay is recorded two times because, due to a lack of a button to start it over, I had to record a whole replay to record the beginning of the replay without the results table).

Rosalina

Mario

Luigi

Princess Peach

Yoshi

Princess Daisy

Wario

Waluigi

Bowser

Bowser Jr.

Donkey Kong

Sonic the Hedgehog

Miles Prower, a.k.a. Tails

Amy Rose

Knuckles the Echidna

Blaze the Cat

Shadow the Hedgehog

Silver the Hedgehog

Dr. Ivo Robotnik, a.k.a. Dr. Eggman

Metal Sonic

Vector the Crocodile

HEADS UP

https://twitter.com/japanese3ds/status/943323712065081345

Like Sochi, this game is about to be REMOVED from digital download. It's going to happen next week, so if you are interested in a new kind of Mario game, you should buy this now. Fortunately piracy exists to preserve this game!

I've heard that the retail release has completely ran out, though, so you can't find this game new at retail price.

Still, don't pirate games, guys. If you want this game badly, try buying a used copy somewhere.

Baby Luigi said:
try buying a used copy somewhere.
Even that's a challenge.

But again, we're talking Mario & Sonic here. No one's going to miss it, not even the corporate higher-ups.

The Japanese 3DS Twitter said that each Mario and Sonic game gets removed from the Nintendo eShop 2 years after being released.

This reminds me of when I was little, I was searching around stores in town for a copy of Mario and Sonic at the 2008 Olympic Games, but they only had the 2010 Winter Games, which I already had both versions of. And I thought to myself "Maybe they don't sell it in Europe?!" which I was wrong.

LeftyGreenMario said:
Baby Luigi said:
try buying a used copy somewhere.
Even that's a challenge.
You're right, Baby Luigi. I just checked eBay and Amazon, and copies are either sold out, or quite expensive for a 3DS game.

I might check other websites, later. It's late at the time I'm typing this.

I could pretend this is some great loss but I'd be lying.

Aqua said:
memoryman3 said:
Fortunately piracy exists to preserve this game!

or, y'know, the fact that there's a retail release...

That's out of print. It's incredibly hard to find it now. I am usually against piracy but if they are going to abandon the game thanks to the I.O.C of corruption then by all means pirate it. Piracy is incredibly easy on both Wii U and 3DS because of Nintendo's poor security (which has been considerably improved with Switch)

This isn't...corruption. It's a license for Nintendo to use Olympic games branding to sell the product that both parties have agreed upon. When that said license expires, Nintendo should heed to the Olympic's side of the contract and pull the games out of their storefront. I think the bigger problem is the understocking of the retail versions of games than Nintendo not selling the digital version on their store any more, since that went out of print far more quickly than the license has expired.

Oh, and just because piracy is easy on some systems doesn't mean you should go out of your way to pirate games at all. Stop encouraging piracy.

Baby Luigi said:
This isn't...corruption. It's a license for Nintendo to use Olympic games branding to sell the product that both parties have agreed upon. When that said license expires, Nintendo should heed to the Olympic's side of the contract and pull the games out of their storefront. I think the bigger problem is the understocking of the retail versions of games than Nintendo not selling the digital version on their store any more, since that went out of print far more quickly than the license has expired.

Oh, and just because piracy is easy on some systems doesn't mean you should go out of your way to pirate games at all. Stop encouraging piracy.

The licensee is actually SEGA. Not Nintendo. This is pretty much a SEGA game, it's even made by a lot of people from Sonic Team.

Also, I think temporary licensing deals are terrible for media. They always end terribly and actively encourage practices like piracy. I'm so glad that Nintendo got a permanent licensing deal for the Mercedes content in Mario Kart 8.

memoryman3 said:
Also, I think temporary licensing deals are terrible for media. They always end terribly and actively encourage practices like piracy.

That's not corruption though.

Here's an article dealing with the issues of licensed content.

https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/JoshBycer/20160906/280640/How_Licensing_Laws_are_Threatening_Your_Video_Games.php

When the licensing period ends on a video game, whatever state that game is in essentially becomes locked in stone. The publisher and storefront are allowed to sell that exact version of the game for as long as they have the right to it, because the licensing is set with the final state of the game.

However, the rise of digital distribution and preserving games has caused a problem. Games have to be patched in order to still work on future platforms. The second a developer opens up that code or releases a new version of the game, they are in violation of their contract. Any work on a game after the contract ends is considered a violation by the developer.

This works for physical copies but digital content always has stock available. I am very disappointed that the IOC doesn't care for preserving the legacy of it's older games.

But Michelle Hippe and Ashley Flannegan weren't properly credited here! They're the Mario Kart 8 voices of Larry and Wendy!

Ah, nothing like new users resurrecting old topics that no one has posted in for years.

Never said it was a problem, it just amuses me.

And besides, it's been ages since they released this game. Mario and Sonic at the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games is the latest and hottest Olympic Games series game.

Back