Which Mario game has the most disappointing character roster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Baby Luigi said:
Mario Party Σ said:
imprisoning Mario in a portrait in a haunted mansion again

it is a good idea
That makes you a developer or at least a storywriter for Artoon for having that opinion.

Mario Party Σ said:
Baby Luigi said:
Mario Party Σ said:

it is a good idea
That makes you a developer or at least a storywriter for Artoon for having that opinion.

says the person who suggests things exactly what artoon did

Baby Luigi said:
Mario Party Σ said:
Baby Luigi said:
Mario Party Σ said:

it is a good idea

says the person who suggests things exactly what artoon did
Artoon doesn't go further, though.

what exactly do you mean by going "further"?

it's just mario getting kidnapped

btw they already went too far already so there's no point into criticizing what they already did

Baby Luigi said:
what exactly do you mean by going "further"?

it's just mario getting kidnapped

btw they already went too far already so there's no point into criticizing what they already did
Artoon should make more games and make Baby Luigi get kidnapped in all of them.

yeah let's continue letting artoon making ---- for this world

the sun will explode and engulf because we, as in planet earth, collectively let yoshi's new island happen

Artoon's continued existence puzzles me

Come to think of it in recent years, Mario Tennis Ultra Smash has one of the most disappointing character rosters in a Mario Sports game. It has less characters for a Mario Tennis game. It could have had more playable characters like Power Tennis or Mario Tennis 64.

It's a shame that a Wii U game got its ass handed by a GameCube/Wii game or hell even an N64 game. The only good thing this game really has is just the gameplay. That is really pathetic. Nintendo should've delayed the game to make it fully complete, not rush it out unfinished. It really shows in a lot of ways. The game needed a lot more work. There was so much this game could have had and it had the potential to be a good game but the fact they chose to rush this game out unfinished for the holidays just amplifies my ire and is what is preventing me from buying and playing this game. This is hilarious and embarrassing considering that Nintendo's own Miyamoto (the creator of the entire Mario franchise) has said that "A delayed game is eventually good but a rushed game is forever bad" and so as a Mario game and a Mario Tennis game it fails both ways. This is the weakest Mario sports game ever made and the weakest Mario Tennis game. It's still a decent game on its own but it is the worst Mario Tennis game. This is cold hard facts and is undeniable.

If this game ever does get ported to the Switch, they better fix all the problems with the game. This game deserves a Deluxe version on the Switch since they couldn't bother to fix it after it came out during the Wii U's life.

Pwwnd123 said:
Come to think of it in recent years, Mario Tennis Ultra Smash has one of the most disappointing character rosters in a Mario Sports game. It has less characters for a Mario Tennis game. It could have had more playable characters like Power Tennis or Mario Tennis 64.

It's not all that disappointing, really. They included Toad, Toadette, Rosalina, while leaving out only Diddy Kong and Birdo. The new character, Sprixie Princess, is an interesting choice. I still think Mario Kart 7 has a more disappointing roster than this game, and plenty more Mario games not listed that succeed to disappoint, like Mario Party 9.

Pwwnd123 said:
It's a shame that a Wii U game got its ass handed by a GameCube/Wii game or hell even an N64 game. The only good thing this game really has is just the gameplay. That is really pathetic. Nintendo should've delayed the game to make it fully complete, not rush it out unfinished. It really shows in a lot of ways. The game needed a lot more work. There was so much this game could have had and it had the potential to be a good game but the fact they chose to rush this game out unfinished for the holidays just amplifies my ire and is what is preventing me from buying and playing this game. This is hilarious and embarrassing considering that Nintendo's own Miyamoto (the creator of the entire Mario franchise) has said that "A delayed game is eventually good but a rushed game is forever bad" and so as a Mario game and a Mario Tennis game it fails both ways. This is the weakest Mario sports game ever made and the weakest Mario Tennis game. It's still a decent game on its own but it is the worst Mario Tennis game. This is cold hard facts and is undeniable.

I don't even know what the point of this rambling is, other than to find a reason to continue complaining about a game you never played.

This is not cold hard facts. It's all just your opinion. I like Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash. It's not a long-lived game and it was disappointing, but it was still enjoyable for what it offered. I'd rather play it than the handheld Mario Tennis/Golf titles where you're forced to play as human characters no one cares about.

I don't know why the urge to point out again how awful Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash is enough to necro this thread.

But hey, if the thread is already necroed, why not post in it?

Mario Kart 7 - The only good characters it added were Shy Guy and sort of Lakitu IMO. Plus it removed Waluigi, who should be considered a necessity by now for Mario Kart.

Mario Kart 8 - Baby Rosalina and PGP are bad of course, they didn't add any other new ones other than the Koopalings, and they failed to bring back certain good characters from Wii. Still not as bad as MK7 though.

Although I think the roster for Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games is pretty good, I'm annoyed at how they left out Iggy, Lemmy and Morton completely, and left Roy and Ludwig out of the Wii U edition. I think they should have whacked four on the 3DS like they already have, and put the other three on the Wii U while kicking out Dry Bowser, because he is just Bowser's skeletal form, NOT a separate entity.

I agree with the Mario Kart 7 stuff, while I liked Shy Guy, Lakitu and Wiggler, I didn't like Queen Bee and hated Metal Mario. I think they should have been replaced with Waluigi and another good one from previous instalments, like Diddy Kong or Dry Bones, or perhaps give Kamek a chance for once!

Stuff like Mario & Sonic at the Rio Olympic games roster management should never happen again in video game history. There has hardly been a more rapid feeling of deflation; you thought the roster is actually going to expand for once in years but it's later revealed the new characters are for one fucking event. There is also Mario & Sonic at London 3DS roster where each character is placed in an arbitrary grouping that dictates which events they will participate in, and that sucked massively as Mario and Luigi are placed in the same goddamn group.

Still, the award for most disappointing roster-related shit has got to be Fortune Street where you can't play the fucking single player mode as a Mario or Dragon Quest character.

Asides from Mario Kart 7, which I have brought up before, I kind of felt that Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle is, on the surface, a disappointing roster. There are 8 characters, which is a good number, but four of them are Rabbids versions of the Mario cast. It certainly is kind of redundant to have a Rabbid version of the cast, but on the bright side, it's clever that they made the Rabbid versions of the Mario cast different. Rabbid Mario and Rabbid Luigi are very different, compared to Mario and Luigi (they have differences, but their Rabbids versions are VERY different). That said, it would be nice if there are more Mario cast and their Rabbids version, either due to them being secret characters, or being future Downloadable Content.

I don't feel Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash is disappointing on the playable character front. In fact, I think it's not bad. They have a few new nice additions, as well as the main Mario characters. Plus, it gave us high-resolution artwork of most of the Mario characters, and that's quite pleasing! A disappointing Mario Tennis cast is most certainly Mario Tennis: Power Tour, because it has too many generic people that rarely leaves an impression. Still, it's amusing to see Waluigi and Bowser team up in Doubles, as with Luigi and Donkey Kong.

Thank you for reading.

Agreed that Mario + Rabbids has a disappointing roster. With a spin-off game these days, Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Yoshi simply aren't going to cut it.

Yeah, it is kinda sad. I get that this is the first game and maybe Ubisoft didn't want to make a thousand different Rabbids right off the bat, but if they ever plan a sequel, they better have at least the usual spin-off characters. I'm talking Wario, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Toad, Daisy, Waluigi, Koopa Troopa, Boo, Rosalina, and Rabbid versions of all of them.

I feel like Mario sports games at a minimum should have the big eight, Daisy, Diddy, Birdo, Junior, Waluigi, and Rosalina. Probably the babies too.

Baby Luigi said:
Agreed that Mario + Rabbids has a disappointing roster. With a spin-off game these days, Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Yoshi simply aren't going to cut it.

It's a very different type of experience. For this type of game anything more than 8 is usually way too bloated.

This isn't just a thing where you just pick a character and go, they are going to have cutscenes, interactions with each other, a little bit of a plot.

8 characters is perfectly acceptable.

Magikrazy said:
Isn't this game in the same vein as Fire Emblem? How many fucking characters does that series have?
A lot, but most of them are set in completely different periods, so they need to introduce an entirely new cast of fodder colorful characters with every game (barring a handful of exceptions like Tiki and Anna). Still, the game with the most number of playable characters apparently has seventy-seven. I think Mario + Rabbids can spare at least a few more. Give a chance to Waluigi, he hasn't been able to shine in years.

I also wouldn't tread with a lot of characters in a completely new Mario game. Four is conservative, but if the thing takes off, then I think it's more reasonable to expect more characters.

LeftyGreenMario said:
I also wouldn't tread with a lot of characters in a completely new Mario game. Four is conservative, but if the thing takes off, then I think it's more reasonable to expect more characters.
I mean, Mario Party 1 had six playable characters, Super Mario Kart had eight, and Mario Tennis had twenty...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back