post any random Mario thought on your mind

It makes Spicy Soup when cooked in the first two Paper Mario games.

Pfft neither Bowser nor Toad even appear in Mario Bros. Freakin' normies.

Imagine it being another game. Tails and Knuckles and Eggman are listed under (Sonic the Hedgehog). Who is this "Sonic" then??

Alucard and Lady Dimitrescu for the win because they are from the same country as me!

Anyway, now I wonder how a partnership between Bowser and Toad would play out. A dragon beast and his eccentric, mushroom-capped owner, as if the Mad Hatter got hold of Paarthurnax and walked him around town under the gazes of curious bystanders. Granted, I have no idea how the mechanics in Fortnite work and if they are accommodated to a duo-type fighter. I just think the idea itself is neat.

Fortnite is one of those battle royal games last I checked.

Consoles that can play SMB1
Color game series: Nope
Game And Watch: SMB35th edition
Arcade: Vs. Super Mario Bros?
Nes: Duh
Gameboy: Nope
Snes: Super Mario All Stars
Virtual Boy: Nope
N64: Super Mario Bros Deluxe and Nes classics Super Mario Bros can be played with the WideBoy, good luck getting one though
Gameboy Color: Super Mario Bros Deluxe
Gameboy Advance: Super Mario Bros Deluxe and Nes Classics Super Mario Bros
Gamecube: Super Mario Bros Deluxe and Nes Classics Super Mario Bros can be played through the Gameboy Player
DS: Most models can play Nes Classics Super Mario Bros except the DSI And DSI XL
Wii: Virtual Console, Super Mario All Stars Anniversary Edition
3DS: Virtual Console once again, this time with Super Mario Bros Deluxe
Wii U: Virtual Console, Super Mario All Stars Anniversary Edition
Switch: NSO, Vs Super Mario Bros Arcade Archives

SMB1 is also available in Animal Crossing on GameCube and I think the N64 Japanese version, but it requires using cheat codes.

One of the harshest points of criticisms in Wario Master of Disguise is the overabundance of minigames within levels. However, if one plays through the other Wario platformers they'll find out this is pretty much a staple in the franchise.

To 100% complete Wario Land 2 you have you find and beat a boring match-up minigame in every level. Funnily enough, like WMoD, the minigames also involve treasure chests.

Some levels in Wario Land 3 won't let you advance past a certain point if you don't complete a golfing minigame that takes ages. This has to be done everytime you play those levels.

The treasure chest minigames in WMoD, while frequent, offer a great deal of variety not displayed previously. Though you'll always make use of the stylus in some form, objectives differ between leading a ball through a maze, filling up a contour, completing a puzzle, smashing cockroaches etc. These do get repetitive in their own right after a while but it's surprising that WMoD gets so much flak for the minigames in particular when this less-than-quaint mechanic already has some history in Wario games.

Last edited:
I'd imagine thats because the wario land games are still really good in spite of that whereas MOD is just ok at best.

Eeeeeh

Honestly I think Wario Land 4 is the only game in the series to deserve that title. It's where Wario platforming finally found a strong footing and identity in the action-puzzle genre. Prior games in the Wario Land series were heavily polarised on either classic platforming or Metroidvania without managing one or the other quite like the main reps of these genres, Super Mario and Castlevania/Metroid. I'm replaying Wario Land 2 currently and I'm surprised how mediocre of a Metroidvania it actually is, if it even tries to be one. Though, I will recognise that these games all nurtured interesting mechanics and incredible promise that eventually bloomed into Wario Land 4 and later shone with April sun in Wario Land The Shake Dimension Pizza Tower.

WMoD was certainly ambitious--a Metroidvania in its own right with positively intricate levels that one should sink more than a decent amount of hours into. It also marked the first time we've seen an actual story in a Wario platformer and an extremely fitting one for the character at that; also, let's not forget the great soundtrack. The game unfortunately fell short with the aforementioned truckload of minigames (the game was apparently trying to shove in WarioWare mechanics down to having a bomb-like timer), somewhat shoddy presentation, and, perhaps the most infamous of all, the controls: the touchscreen is shoehorned into much of your activity with this game, to such an extent that jumping is rather uncomfortably assigned to the same side of the console where the walking buttons are since your right hand is too busy handling the stylus. And what do you use the touchscreen for? To draw certain shapes on Wario so you turn him into different power-up forms. That function could have been relegated to a button press and a drop down menu without having an eccentric gimmick interfere with your enjoyment.

I guess much of what makes WMoD a bad game lies in the same flaws that plagued other DS games from around that time; that is, trying desperately to make use of the system's "new" and "innovative" technology (lmfao) for common gameplay mechanics in lieu of intuitive, classic actions such as a mere button press. The game is, however, quite substantial gameplay, design, and to a limit even story-wise and I'm sad to see it getting so much mistreatment. It ain't excellent by any means, but I've enjoyed my time with it and I could see that beneath those butt-begotten eccentricities lies work of talent and passion.

I do like WL4 more though.

Last edited:
was poking around noclip.website, especially the texture tab, and found out:
in mario galaxy, the black holes actually use a texture of beach bowl galaxy for the enviromental map. its hard to tell but its just barely there at the edges. see it in motion yourself here
unknown.png
unknown.png

beach bowl itself uses this texture no less. the screenshot of the galaxy they used for the enviromental map seems to look slightly different from how it looks in the final game? pretty interesting!
unknown.png

note. despite it being called WaterRingEnvRef, it didnt seem to actually be on loopdeeloop at all, and in sea slide (actually called OceanRingGalaxy internally) that very texture was also only used for the black hole. perhaps it was going to be used for the water initially?

Last edited:
I suppose a galaxy with a toilet bowl as a main feature would be the perfect environment map for a thing that causes Mario to swirl like a bath toy around the drain to be insinkerated.

Let that sink in.

When pronouncing Toadette's name, do you stress the first or second syllable?

I've seen plenty of people stress the second syllable, but I stress the first one. TOAD-ette.

i stress toadEtte and im half certain thats how thats pronounced in voice clips in the games anyway? not sure. ive def seen toadette say her own name in smm2 (and its likely in nsmbudx too by extension) when you complete a level in the nsmbu style

Toadette does say Toadette's the winner in Mario Party 8 and the first syllable was stressed. Though when I heard Sam Kelly say her name, she stresses the second syllable.

Mario donated to charity. It is now an affordable multi housing unit so Toads, Koopas, Goombas, and more alike don't have to be cold and wet.

Back