post any random Mario thought on your mind

Well the Japanese probably have no idea about that superstition, but some will tell you everything about how cursed the number 4 is.

Quadruple. Japanese, Italian, American and Mushroom Kingdomite.

Idk I read he was Japanese in some news article someone showed me this morning, with all the others being non-canon. I want to know how true that is now.

Oh it seems like they took a line from the interview from the Kotaku article and stretched it a bit imo

Kotaku: Japanese games swept the globe starting in the late 70s: Space Invaders, Pac-Man, Donkey Kong. Why do you think this made-in-Japan culture resonated with people all over the world?

Uemura: Actually, that's what I want to ask you [laughs].

Super Mario Bros. isn't set in Japan, but the character's Japanese. The name Mario sounds Italian, but he isn't Italian. They were really able to capture that ambiguity. The number of dots you could use to draw the characters was extremely limited, so Miyamoto was forced to use colors to differentiate them. He spent a lot of time working on the colors. In the end, it became the template for how a designer might express themselves through a game. It was a whole new world.
Depends how you interpret it but you can interpret it as "Mario has Japanese origin despite the setting and the name not being Japanese". That sounds more plausible to me, but eh, this isn't exactly damning information. They clearly intend Mario to be Italian or at least Italian-inspired because they were happy to roll with the nationality (I mean the names of locations from Super Mario Sunshine...., and the localized name for Goomba...).

Ok good but too bad Roman emperor Mario is not related. Maybe Mario had some Roman blood. Also his bowing I thought was maybe evidence for him being Nipponese.

I like how he says he spent a lot of time to work on the colors, which means Mario's design wasn't exactly an accident.

Mario's design is still based on how well he looks in limited hardware. It's still all deliberate, but like the circumstances are "accidental", it that means anything. Anyway, picking the right color scheme for characters is a vital part of character design, though of course the hardware does work from a limited color palette.

Red and blue are typically some generic-ass colors to choose but they work really well for him lol. They also sound like the first colors I'd try so idk how did he try that hard?

Red and blue are the boldest colors against a black background though? Compared to other color combinations (white, yellow, green, brown?) I think red and blue are a good combination especially for someone overalls-clad.

I figured Miyamoto tried hard because he picked multitudes of palettes (and also considered HOW it should be ordered; should Mario have red overalls or blue overalls?) and played around (as well as trying to render a silhouette that stood against the black background; also keep in mind how the colors display in an arcade machine, not from this computer screen as we're accustomed to) and then also other team members reviewed the color choices and made comments or revisions. I don't know too much about designing characters in such retro games since the limitations were legit.

Also the color choices also take consideration their overall shade. Should red be more dominant or subdued? Blue? How much space should these colors take up (all for the sake of readability)? And so on.

I did not think of all that. What a heartbreaking story of brilliant character design for a beloved character...

...but it doesn't explain why they switched to vomit rotten tomato palette for Mario in SMB1. I mean the puke green color blends bad with like the light blue sky for example.

Happy 20th birthday to Paper Mario!

Next year Mario's 40th ANNIVERSARY Mario's old.

Reactions: zel
i will forever resent marios smb1 sprite palette because why is it poo brown
i made a few edits to a few mario wiki screens a few months back that makes it not poop (and uses existing colors so hes a bit pale) and i think it works fairly well
unknown.png
unknown.png
unknown.png

sure now he doesnt match the more muted color palette that the game has for some reason but ill take that over . yea
a problem is that he does blend in with the water background a bit too much. you can distinguish it on a normal monitor but im half certain itd be a much bigger issue on a crt or somethin of sorts

"Think they'll ever learn that lesson in the real world?"
"Ha, when humans get as smart as mushrooms."

I do.

The episode begins with Toads actually being colored, some animation error, and it can actually manage to confuse the plot. That's the most I remember from it. A more competent team of writers would try to note the species difference between ruling class (Princess Peach) and the lower class (Toads) and then write a plot around that division. Heck, it'll draw attention to that weird set up and why not have some sort of political commentary? Mario and Luigi are established as foreigners, why not have some established conspiracy theorists set up a theory of how Toads are the true ruling class and humans have been holding them back, and Mario and Luigi are doing great tasks only for their advancement to the detriment of Toads. Any lack of evidence is just coverup....

What we got was just Toads getting doused in a color, they get quickly acclimated to it, and they quickly build resentment out of this, just because two Koopalings had a successful fight with each other? Bruh, humans fight each other for the smallest things. The whole plot is centered around the idea that all the citizens are complete morons. With a better script, you know they won't immediately assume the color is the problem.

And there's another opportunity for a nice script they could do and write is as a joke on the set up of Mario's world. The idea presented in Mush-Rumors where some traveling people just get lost and Mario, Luigi, and Peach try to guide them, but they freak out the residents of Mushroom Kingdom. It's just that they executed it terribly, as there's no reason to panic over humans when a human is ruling over Mushroom Kingdom, and Mario and Luigi are well known and respected. They probably maybe should've made it a lost dog or an abandoned car, just some familiar concept, but something completely foreign to Mushroom Kingdom. You can sprinkle some self-aware jokes about how Mushroom Kingdomer perception of reality is so different from ours. Yeah, it has been done a lot of times where something like a toaster causes an alien population to freak out, but at least it makes sense and it'll totally work in the Mario context.

Or heck, why not do a caterpillar that turns into a butterfly and that butterfly levels an entire city.

Anyway, a lot of ideas that could work and be even funny if you take into consideration about Mario's world, but the show's script usually isn't satisfactory enough. I know Mario's not exactly a heavy commentary or things, but it's certainly capable of pointing out some parallels to the real world. The Mario developers certainly didn't try to establish a world with interesting power differences, they just wanted a cartoon fantasy plot involving a good guy (who is a plumber due to graphical restrictions) rescuing a princess. But with this comes with interesting side-effects being those power differences and it'll make for a bit of an interesting episode for why that is. I mean, the games don't do a lot of that, but imagine a show with more competent writing pulling something like that off...

Great now I don't think the episode is as brilliant, but Peach being portrayed as some sorta queen Victoria colonising the republic of Toadland and turning it into the Mushroom Kingdom is a bit extreme for the kiddos lol.

Also you came up with all that in 2 seconds while a team of what 3-4 writers couldn't do that there?

Peach being portrayed as some sorta queen Victoria colonising the republic of Toadland and turning it into the Mushroom Kingdom is a bit extreme for the kiddos lol.

I mean, I think that theme isn't too uncommon in kid's books (like those aged for 10 and up). We've had kids cartoons before that did talk about racism before such as Static Shock and movies such as Zootopia.

I dunno man, kids had to handle even more explicit themes like fascism (Alfred J. Kwak), genocide (Hunchback of Notre Dame), racism (Static Shock; as my sister brought up). Not saying the Mario cartoons should go in such an explicit direction, like it shouldn't be THIS dark and disturbing or even explicit as in the cartoons. But you know, adult viewers might be intrigued too (an interesting idea of Mario's set up, a blue collar worker being in a more elevated position than ruling class, being brought up through Big Joel in YouTube)? I think just a lighthearted romp but acknowledgement of those themes is enough.

That's what the Mario cartoons just done, but not in a good way, and especially strange considering that the setup of the difference of power between Toads and humans are already there by accident.

Look at how Nintendo created the Super Happy Tree.... it's apparently a source of happiness for Yoshis and Baby Bowser wants to reclaim it for control. Removing that tree makes those Yoshis miserable. Like, geez, is no one going to question that kind of story? I figure kids won't get the implications of the Super Happy Tree, but adults will; that's ripe enough for some subtle jokes.

But again this is Mario we're saying. Mario isn't obligated to explore any of those themes, and Mario can overdo themes. Hence, the frequent parodies of gritty Mario reboots. I'm probably just an adult and maybe I'm heaping too much expectations or my ideas are completely bonkers. I just like to talk food for thought though. I think the accidental theming Nintendo makes is too delicious to just ignore.

Still though, the cartoons attempted those themes somehow (and including joining a gang and food addiction). It's not like they turned out offensively bad. Or at least, there isn't an inherently bad idea. It's the execution that matters and so I can't ridicule those episodes for the theming as much as I can for the execution.

Bowser will get canceled first and then he'll complain about oppression, and then he'll be a Koopa Clown. :P

Well, you're (temp) banned. Anyway...

1597600801418.png
WARIOTIME!

Last edited:
No you're not forcing me to make microgames with Wario!

"WELCOME TO WARIO WORLD!"

610px-Wario_DIY.png

-Wario welcomes you to his world.

Back