post any random Mario thought on your mind

I prefer Super Mario Land 1's main theme. I want to see *that* being reused. If Kirby can reuse songs from multiple past games, I don't see what's stopping Mayrop.

ThatGuy62 said:
Well, King Boo is the Master of Illusion according to Dark Moon.
Given that the game has been trying to make it look like Bowz was the true villain, it was pretty much a fake-out.

I wouldn't say that. The game was pretty much showing King Boo to be the big boss man in charge and the only foreshadowing we get to the Bowz is that bit with the fortune teller lady.

Who then starts to say some junk about about King Boo "reviving Bowser" which is just, what?

Are they trying to say that Bowser is dead? Like truly dead? Because the idea of that to me is absurd.

Excuse me, waiter, may I ask you bring me the chef?

There's lore in my Mario soup.

That's less lore and more contrivance and nonsense.

Which is Mario's usual MO so, yeah.

Mario killed Bowser, King Booze is just trying to avenge him; you're just not going to accept that, pal.

My random thought would be, what exactly is preventing Mario from capturing himself?

Sometimes I wonder if Super Paper Mario was the direct catalyst for Nintendo becoming super hands-on and strict with characters choices and art style in Mario spin off games

I don't think Super Paper Mario did THAT badly, did it? I thought Sticker Star was just an experimental reboot and Color Splash was maybe a continuation of it?

If it is, that makes me sad because the emphasis it put on moving away from the usual done-to-death Mario stuff is part of why I love it so much.

But it is the best selling Paper Mario so I don't see how it would be.

Fawfulthegreat64 said:
If it is, that makes me sad because the emphasis it put on moving away from the usual done-to-death Mario stuff is part of why I love it so much.

But it is the best selling Paper Mario so I don't see how it would be.

It's the best selling because it came out during the wii's opening days. It's in spite of the game that it sold well, not because of it.

Glowsquid said:
Sometimes I wonder if Super Paper Mario was the direct catalyst for Nintendo becoming super hands-on and strict with characters choices and art style in Mario spin off games

I am absolutely positive that's the reason. At least for that series.

Don't think so. Super Paper Mario had a shit story but I doubt that's the reason they decided to exert more control.

Random thought: I just noticed that the people of Twilight Town in TTYD are shaded in a way similar to the LoZ: Majora's Mask character artwork.

COMPARISON:

Mayor Dour
Doury.PNG

Skull Kid
MM_Skull_Kid.png

Solid black is used in the characters' shadows.

pretty sure it's just a coincidence. the complete black shadows are used to create a highly contrasting style to bring out the intensity of the features for a "dark" effect.

Glowsquid said:

I read on one forum that at one time Nintendo exerted more control on the characters during the DS or Wii era probably because they deemed Mario to be a valuable brand so they exerted more control in Mario's image, which is probably why Mario spin-offs tend to be conservative with their characters, with a few exceptions (Super Mario and Mario & Luigi are the biggest examples). It felt restricting to only see the regular six Mario characters (Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Yoshi and Toad) in Mario RPGs and no other regulars, or for the Mario Party to stop introducing new characters into the mix. I guess us older fans prefer when there are newer characters, but I suppose those were the times.

Tangentially related, but I guess a similar experience can be given for Mario Party 8, which is the catalyst for Nintendo to create different English translations in US and UK, because of a use of one single word. As an example, Splatoon 1's got a pun- and slang-ridden US translation compared to the more direct UK translation. I wonder if Mario Party's settings are less liberal (and dialogue-ridden) because of a misuse of a single word.

Princess Mario said:
I prefer Super Mario Land 1's main theme. I want to see *that* being reused. If Kirby can reuse songs from multiple past games, I don't see what's stopping Mayrop.

I guess that's what makes the Mario & Sonic games worth it: they reused several Mario songs from the past, but I feel they need to also include from other Mario spin-offs besides Mario Kart. Also, it's why it's surprising that Super Mario Land's theme is referenced in Paper Mario: Colour Splash.

Thank you for reading.

Russian Baby Luigi said:
Don't think so. Super Paper Mario had a shit story but I doubt that's the reason they decided to exert more control.

More the overall package. It just doesn't fit in properly with the rest of the brand.

Russian Baby Luigi said:
pretty sure it's just a coincidence. the complete black shadows are used to create a highly contrasting style to bring out the intensity of the features for a "dark" effect.

Probably, yeah. Still cool though.

For me, the whole character-restriction thing is kinda half and half. On one hand, The RPGs are the best way to showcase the cast's personalities and it was generally successful with The Koopalings and Junior.
On the other hand, I don't really like the Paper Mario characterizations for most of them (Ludwig, Iggy and Roy are the only exceptions) and Minion Quest went backwards after Paper Jam's portrayal of the Koopalings was pretty spot-on to what the New series/SMB3 Japanese manual implied.
So, if Paper Mario branches out even further to characters like the Wario Bros, Daisy, DK etc., I don't have hopes for their characterizations in that series. M&L is more reliable, but generally more of a crapshoot.

what doesn't help is that mario from paper mario is the blandest portrayal of mario in the series, and i find luigi's characterization in paper mario really inconsistent with his rest of his appearances.

Even within the series. One game, he's the one who stays at the house, the second, he's a cocky bitch, then he's suddenly the man who will decide which prophecy becomes true, and then he's forgotten again.

Luigi has pretty terrible mood swings lol.

Those are during his teen days. He grew out of that one.

Magikrazy said:
DomFVGmUwAAvMDQ.jpg

>birdo
>he

alright guys its confirmed birdo is a dude

I prefer LGM's explanation that we cannot expect any better of Toad

Back