post any random Mario thought on your mind

Paper Mario in 2019 that goes back to Sarasaland for Super Mario Land's 30th anniversary.​
What? Who said that? I didn't say anything, what are you talking about :shifty:

Paper Mario, still stuck with a horrendous battle system, but with everything else improved, so like Color Splash.

I still want a new Mario Sports title for the Switch. A new Mario Strikers? A new Mario Baseball? How about a new Mario Golf? How about a Horse Racing entry?

Baseball would be nice if it's done right this time.

I mean, the Baseball one in Mario Sports Superstars is gimped because it's part of a compilation, so I wouldn't count it. If there was a new standalone Baseball game, would be like Sluggers, I'd be betting on.

Mario Strikers, even longer ago.

The Wii and Wii U's library considering the sports titles are honestly pretty shit tbh.

Well, pimping out that many sports games probably wasn't helping the brand all that much.

In fact sluggers and sports mix were pretty meh received by critics if I recall.

When concerning these titles, I didn't really give a crap about critic scores; Mario Party I still found really enjoyable despite the slump in 9 onto 10. I adored Mario Sports Mix, its tournament mode is pretty great, I liked all of the sports it offered, and it had neat little Special Games, with Smash Skate being my favorite and Harmony Hustle being really fun to play with, though Bob-omb Dodge and Feed Petey aren't all too bad either. Sports Mix also has a great soundtrack, one of the most overlooked Mario soundtracks imo. Really the biggest issue I had with Mario Sports Mix was its rather dreadful character roster, being a step back from the DS game, Mario Hoops 3-on-3.

I really like Mario Super Sluggers too, for similar reasons for Mario Sports Mix. The Story Mode was pretty good, the Minigames were really fun, Graffiti Runner is easily the best one, and Baby Luigi is playable in that one.

Besides, they're all developed by different people anyway. Squeenix handled Sports Mix while Namco-Bandai handled Baseball and Next Level Games made Strikers Charged.

Oh sure you don't care.

But Nintendo does.

I don't know if they care either, since Mario Party critic scores have never been good. Ever. As long as it sells and it's popular.

They're like the Mystery Dungeon games, they have fan appreciation that critics usually don't.

Which compared to the party games, the sports stuff doesn't reach anywhere near that level of sales.

Plus the party games are like several per thing, they are low budget re-used assets galore the sports games are mostly one per system and don't re-use as much (most cases, there are some re-used shit of course)

Russian Baby Luigi said:
Paper Mario, still stuck with a horrendous battle system, but with everything else improved, so like Color Splash.
I mean, if you only factor in Sticker Star sure. But that game is far from the standard I hold the series to. Almost nothing from CS lives up to the first 3 games, not just the battle system.

If we actually DID get a game where the battle system was the only thing not improved (from the first 3 games) I'd celebrate that shit because it means we'd have a story on the level of the pre-reboot games again and more interesting characters again. I think the battle system in SS and CS, while a step down, is easily tolerable to me if the scenarios and plot were like the old games.

As for Mario Sports games, the wackier the better because real life sports are incredibly uninteresting to me. I'd love the full CG cutscenes to come back like what Mario Power Tennis had. Those Wario and Waluigi antics man.

Mcmadness said:
Which compared to the party games, the sports stuff doesn't reach anywhere near that level of sales.

Plus the party games are like several per thing, they are low budget re-used assets galore the sports games are mostly one per system and don't re-use as much (most cases, there are some re-used *bleep* of course)

The sports stuff is still really popular, maybe not as much as party, but still prints money for the companies that make them. I daresay, that among the Mario franchises, after Kart, Platformer, and then Party, that's where the sports stuff would occupy.

Maybe Nintendo is aware of critic ramblings and all to help improve their games, but as far as I'm concerned, many people play and enjoy the titles, even with Mario Tennis Aces being disappointing in some areas, and while not as a success as party is, still earns them money.

I don't know where the negative stigma of it hurting the brand came from. I can think of many reasons they don't have as much sports titles during that era, hurting the brand is possibly a reason, but there's many other variables to take account of too.

Fawfultheghost64 said:
If we actually DID get a game where the battle system was the only thing not improved (from the first 3 games) I'd celebrate that *bleep* because it means we'd have a story on the level of the pre-reboot games again and more interesting characters again. I think the battle system in SS and CS, while a step down, is easily tolerable to me if the scenarios and plot were like the old games.

Well considering that I play Mario games not much for compelling stories but for interesting characters, their interactions and dialogue, and an engaging, not broken battle system, that hardly sounds like the stuff that would perk my attention. The only reasons I played the first two Paper Mario games? Was because of the unique partners you can earn and their attacks.

At this point I don't care if they got OG characters or not. I just want the writing to not take itself so seriously.

It needs to make fun of cliches, not play them straight.

Speaking of Sports Mix, will we ever get another Square-Enix collab and will it be another sports game or another RPG?
Part of me kinda wants to see more "Mario-ized" takes on Final Fantasy stuff like Sports Mix somewhat did (or like Kingdom Hearts did with designs inspired by Disney).

Personally, I just want them to make another Mario Sports title with Final Fantasy characters in them. But a Final Fantasy x Mario RPG crossover would be very interesting, and I would look forward to see how that'll turn out.

I'd rather have Super Mario RPG characters in the next Square-Enix developed sports game if there is one. I guess I'd be fine with other Square-enix characters if they also made use of their Mario characters.

Meh, I actually rather have Moogle, Slime, Cactuar, Black Mage, as playable characters etc. You know, characters that exist more than in a single obscure 1996 Mario title barely anyone has played, relatively speaking.

Russian Baby Luigi said:
Personally, I just want them to make another Mario Sports title with Final Fantasy characters in them. But a Final Fantasy x Mario RPG crossover would be very interesting, and I would look forward to see how that'll turn out.

That's pretty much what super mario rpg is. It just doesn't have actual final fantasy characters in it.

the deal is, I wish there were actual Final Fantasy characters in it. Doesn't even have to be like the "realistic" ones like Cloud or Sephiroth, could be an appearance for a Chocobo instead.

Or Cactuars.

Go home Bowser you're drunk.

Serious talk tho, the final boss theme's normal version is sweet.

That might be my favorite "low HP" in a game ever.

Lucario said:
Serious talk tho, the final boss theme's normal version is sweet.
It was pretty overdue. I like Sparkling King, but it seemed odd that Bowser's leitmotif didn't get a battle remix like everyone else.

Super Mario 64 DS is such a weird thing.

It's so unlike the other remakes in this series which usually just alter the visuals a bit and add a couple extras here and there.

Back