Nintendo Switch

1 2 Switch GOTY 2017

• Yes

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • Yes

Votes: 20 60.6%

• Total voters
Simón de Bolivar said:
I will mod mine one day as I don't care about the online play as it is paid for, which I don't want to do. So I don't care about getting banned from something I won't use.

But if you mod it, do you still get to use the Eshop?
Not if you wind up banned, unfortunately. There are precautions with modding Switches to avoid the banhammer, but nothing completely guarantees that you'll be left unharmed. Once you're banned, all online services go--free services too, eShop included. Worst of all, unlike 3DS where you could use CFW to unban your system, there is no undo on Switch (as of now, at least).

I'd assume you get access to eShop but only because I assume they aren't stupid enough to lock you access from a revenue stream because you wanted to beat up Shrek in Super Smash Bros., but again, you probably will get banned from eShop and unwittingly have you pirate games you want. Brilliant.

So, version 8.0.0 just dropped.

Now there's Yoshi's Crafted Worked icons and MORE Splatoon 2 icons. There's also a zoom option and you can sort the games in the "All Games section".

That's pretty cool!

Bandana Waddle Dee said:
https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/nes/

Next three games have been announced:

-Double Dragon 2: The Revenge
-Volleyball
-City Connection

Tbh they're starting to run out of games and they should really hurry up with SNES.

I do wonder why some companies didn't contribute some of their games. For example we still haven't had Hudson games, such as Bomberman (or the sequel Bomberman II). I think that Mega Man would be a good fit but the fact that Capcom already has a Mega Man Legacy Collection would make that an impossibility.

Thank you for reading.

Bandana Waddle Dee said:
]Tbh they're starting to run out of games and they should really hurry up with SNES.
They're probably not doing SNES until they get permission to do all the Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior games available on the NES.

So, a couple things. Handheld only version of Switch was announced, the Nintendo Switch Lite (more details here).
Also, Donkey Kong 3 and Wrecking Crew were announced as July's NES games. If we're getting non-NES games, I'm now convinced it'll be in September.

Erdrick the Hero said:
Also, Donkey Kong 3 and Wrecking Crew were announced as July's NES games. If we're getting non-NES games, I'm now convinced it'll be in September.
We still don't have NES Mega Man and NES Castlevania.

infinite8 said:
Erdrick the Hero said:
We still don't have NES Mega Man and NES Castlevania.

If they can get the rights to those, they'll probably be the August games.

Switch Lite is the final nail in the coffin for the 3DS, as it appears to be going for the same market. I guess this is how they are trying to keep both console and handheld markets while still having the Switch be a hybrid. Seems like a good business decision to me, but we'll see how it pans out.

Btw I found on Nintendo's website that all standard 3DS models have now been discontinued, leaving only the 2DS and New 2DS. With the Switch Lite being a thing, those won't last long either. Last first-party 3DS game was in March as well with no signs of new ones coming. So I think it's safe to consider the 3DS off life support at this point.

I thought it was interesting how the later 3DS games have no 3D effect, which is pretty much already indicative that there is a sizable market for the 2DS (since it can't view games in 3D). Like for example, Pokemon Sun & Moon (and follow ups) lack 3D. In hindsight, it's amazing that Captain Toad (3DS) is still viewable in 3D, but that game will soon be obsolete since the Switch version could be obtained at a similar price point (only thing is Lite is more expensive than 2DS), plus you can access the DLC.

Thank you for reading.

I'm still wondering why they kep the name Switch, at least in the case of the 2DS they changed the name to reflect 3D was gone, whereas wtih the Lite you can Switch to... what?
In any case, I think this shows how Nintendo was first and foremost aiming at creating a portable Wii U with the Switch, which is admittedly a big leap forward for handheld console gaming, as you can have Wii U quality games on the go.

Back