Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Lite  (Read 191 times)

Erdrick the Hero

• Gotta love that Dragon Quest series right? Favorite series that I've totally played probably.
  • King Bowser
  • Moldomré
  • The local Pink Yoshi Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
    • Planet Minecraft Profile
Nintendo Switch Lite
« on: July 10, 2019, 08:51:28 AM »

A new handheld only version of the Switch was announced for release on September 20 for $199.99.
Here's some photos (spoilered):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It can only play games that support handheld play, due to having no detachable Joy-Con. And there's a D-pad now.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 09:27:49 AM by Erdrick the Hero »
dang.

Look at that.

Those scissors have a pretty nice ass.
Twitter | Koops, that quote now represents you | Ask Thread

YoshiFlutterJump

• The Legend of Dee
  • Shine Sprite
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Switch Lite
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 10:00:18 AM »
Looks nice.  Guess we now have a dedicated handheld that plays the same games as the console.  Perhaps later on I could get one of these as my own personal Switch (because siblings).

Dr. Baby Luigi

• Mushroom Kingdom's Most Adorable Doctor
  • Mushroom Attendant
  • Baby Luigi
  • 🇷🇺 Малыш Луиджи 🇷🇺 – сырная бл🧀🧀🧀 Тарелка!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 12:51:51 PM »
I think it looks pretty good. It's a great cheaper option for people who can't really afford the big screen variation and those who play only in handheld mode anyway. I already own a Switch so this doesn't mean much to me but people who want to own one has this to consider. The color palette is also pretty appealing, I wish the Switch itself has more color options than boring dark gray.
RIP B. "Walkazo" Dalziel. December 16, 1991 to March 27, 2016.

winstein

• Power Star
  • Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 10:36:31 PM »
Since the Switch Lite is handheld only, it means that quite a few games that require tabletop/docked mode cannot be played, although they are a sheer minority. In terms of Mario games, Super Mario Party is the only one affected by this. Personally though, despite the fact that Splatoon 2 can be played on the handheld, I can't see myself playing that game in handheld mode since that game is best played with motion controls, and sure the Lite has motion controls, but I will be moving the console too much if I do that.

If the D-pad is solid, this would be a great machine since quite a number of indie games and a few games (like Tetris 99) works best with a properly functional D-pad, but we shall see if that is the case.

Thank you for reading.
(Credit goes to Alex95 for this signature)

Kazooie

• Red-crested Breegull
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Star Spirit
  • Gabumon
  • "That's nice."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 01:50:41 AM »
Non-detachable joycons actually does affect Super Mario Odyssey, which has some actions mapped to motion controls. A few of them have alternative mappings to a button, but to my knowledge not all of them do. Overall I'd say that's a loss of functionality.

Maybe you can still shake the entire console to access these actions, but that's going to be super unwieldy.

YoshiFlutterJump

• The Legend of Dee
  • Shine Sprite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 07:11:10 AM »
Non-detachable joycons actually does affect Super Mario Odyssey, which has some actions mapped to motion controls. A few of them have alternative mappings to a button, but to my knowledge not all of them do. Overall I'd say that's a loss of functionality.

Maybe you can still shake the entire console to access these actions, but that's going to be super unwieldy.
From my understanding, you can still use Joy-Con wirelessly, although they do not come with the system.  So those moves in Super Mario Odyssey would still be usable.  However, as the system doesn't come with a kickstand, you'd have to lean it on a wall or something if you wanted to use tabletop mode.

Derek from the SunLife Advert

• Mushroom Attendant
  • Kingbowser99
  • Say "Apple"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 01:46:14 PM »
This is what I've been waiting for