Nintendo Switch

1 2 Switch GOTY 2017

• Yes

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • Yes

Votes: 20 60.6%

• Total voters
Shovel Knight said:
Maybe some day the SNES will get a virtual console on the Switch.
I wish we could still be saying that about the GameCube. But looks like it'll all be under the online subscription (meaning it'll die with the Switch itself in the distant future) and only be NES and possibly later on SNES games. I just want a current way to purchase and own TTYD on a modern system :(

You know I'm wondering......

Maybe when Ultimate is close to getting released, there will be New icons for the Switch. I think it's gonna be the original 12.

Yeah, it's just a better way to emphasize on "Everyone Is Here!"

Mewta said:
The most SUGOI Picross game is here for the Switch!
http://www.jupiter.co.jp/switch/kemofurepicross/index.html
Man, 4 Picross games in a year, good thing I yet to tire of Picross

I'm not surprised that Picross games are in full force in coming to the Switch, but am completely surprised that Kemono Friends is getting a Picross version of them! That's completely unexpected but I expect it to stay in Japan unless it's somehow quite popular in English territories too. Still haven't gotten any Picross games since I probably will wait for a discount before I play them, even though I love Picross (I finished Picross 3D 2 in its entirety; yes it's a different type of game, but I also love Picross 2D too).

Roll and Maria Renard said:
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams is also going to come to the Switch this month. It is a solid 2D platformer and it is worth checking out as far as I've heard.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/09/giana_sisters_twisted_dreams_-_owltimate_edition_arrives_on_switch_this_month

I'm surprised that you showed interest in Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams, given that it's a rather old indie game (the first release was back in 2012). What is it about the game that interests you?

Keep in mind that this is my opinion on the game so it might not reflect on what you might have think of this game, but I have played the game in the first world, and I somehow found it to be both interesting and dull at the same time. It's interesting because it has a decent concept where one can switch the settings (and subsequently the layout), but it's dull because the environment is kind of realistic and levels are pretty long. The game felt kind of tough for me too since the first boss gave me a lot of trouble, and I stopped playing after beating the first boss.

Thank you for reading.

Looks like Version 6 of Nintendo Switch is released! Yes, that means that the Nintendo Switch Online functionality now requires a paid subscription, and the 4 games that are affected according to Nintendo's official website are:
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- ARMS
- Splatoon 2
- Mario Tennis Aces

I do not know if other games require the online service since they are not listed on the main site, such as Puyo Puyo Tetris, Pokken DX or Sushi Striker (yes, this game has online multiplayer also), so I can't confirm this. What I do know is that Super Mario Odyssey doesn't have a warning about paid online subscription so you don't have to worry about any compromised functionality in Luigi's Balloon World.

The online functionality also allows users to save backups on the cloud, so it's not totally lost, that's for sure. They even used Breath of the Wild as an example, which I am sure is a very wanted service given the scope of that agame. However, not every game supports it, and the website specifically listed 1-2-Switch and Splatoon 2 as examples (though I wonder what 1-2-Switch even saves; probably nothing major). I can tell that Splatoon 2 didn't support this feature since this is a game where save-scumming is a practical decision to rewind any losses or bad rolls.

The NES games that subscribers can play, even through online, include the following (Famicom also have the same launch titles; I do not know about future titles):
Soccer
Tennis
Donkey Kong™
Mario Bros.™
Super Mario Bros.™
Balloon Fight™
Ice Climber™
Dr. Mario™
The Legend of Zelda™
Super Mario Bros.™ 3
Double Dragon
River City Ransom
Ghosts'n Goblins™
Tecmo Bowl
Gradius
Pro Wrestling
Excitebike™
Yoshi™
Ice Hockey
Baseball

Solomon’s Key (Oct 2018)
NES™ Open Tournament Golf (Oct 2018)
Super Dodge Ball (Oct 2018)

Metroid™ (Nov 2018)
Mighty Bomb Jack (Nov 2018)
TwinBee (Nov 2018)

Wario's Woods™ (Dec 2018)
Ninja Gaiden (Dec 2018)
ADVENTURES OF LOLO (Dec 2018)

---

Moreover, there are new icons for Captain Toad, so all you Captain Toad (or Toadette or Draggadon or Wingo) fans can have an icon if you like them:
2018-09-18.png
Meanwhile, I am still waiting for the character icon that I want to use...

Also, some features are changed besides the online subscription requirement for some games:
- Ability to play on other Nintendo Switch systems when you sign in, but it requires an online connection to play on a non-primary console (basically a different console other than your own), though when you lost online, the game is paused until the connection is back on. As far as I can tell, this is NOT a subscription feature
- Ability to upload up to 4 screenshots per social media post as an album, but still 1 video per post
- Ability to change USB keyboard layout
- News articles are now affected by parental controls

---

Personally I am not getting the online subscription any time soon, so I am unlikely to enjoy the features. What I like is that Wario's Woods is a future update for the NES library.

Thank you for reading.

winstein said:
Looks like Version 6 of Nintendo Switch is released! Yes, that means that the Nintendo Switch Online functionality now requires a paid subscription, and the 4 games that are affected according to Nintendo's official website are:
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- ARMS
- Splatoon 2
- Mario Tennis Aces

I do not know if other games require the online service since they are not listed on the main site, such as Puyo Puyo Tetris, Pokken DX or Sushi Striker (yes, this game has online multiplayer also), so I can't confirm this. What I do know is that Super Mario Odyssey doesn't have a warning about paid online subscription so you don't have to worry about any compromised functionality in Luigi's Balloon World.

basically any game that has online play requires nintendo switch online. the only exceptions so far are free to play games (like fortnite) and the jackbox party games
if you want to see a full list of games which need this, theres a new filter in the search menu for it (bottom left, with the other options like coming soon and software with demos). if you just want to know if a certain game needs it, check that one's specific eShop page

Luke Atmey said:
winstein said:
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- ARMS
- Splatoon 2
- Mario Tennis Aces

basically any game that has online play requires nintendo switch online. the only exceptions so far are free to play games (like fortnite) and the jackbox party games
if you want to see a full list of games which need this, theres a new filter in the search menu for it (bottom left, with the other options like coming soon and software with demos). if you just want to know if a certain game needs it, check that one's specific eShop page

Does the filter exists on the webpage? I can't seem to find this filter, but I can see that the games I mentioned earlier have a new icon for "Online play", featuring Mario and Luigi playing. Of course there's another icon with a Lakitu Cloud too, but for a different reason (to indicate Cloud saves).

Thank you for reading.

I'm hoping the Switch gets icons from 3DS games at some point. Since the 3DS doesn't have a character icon feature like that.

I'm blehhh on that the functionalities in games like Mario Kart we've been using since day 1 are now behind a paywall. But whatever, guess I'm not doing online Mario Kart until I subscribe to this. As a bonus I get to rent classic NES games, such a great next step from owning NES-N64, Game Boy line, and Wii games all on one console oh wait. Online on them sounds neat but I suspect it's a short-lived novelty since they weren't designed for that kind of play.

Probably won't get online till Smash comes out. Even then, I won't absolutely need it until Pokémon Gen VIII is out. I'm gonna need online to play Pokémon.

Oh man, I thought Mario Odyssey would require it; thank goodness it doesn't!

I won't be getting an online subscription for now, as the only things I really want it for are online Mario Tennis tournaments and Super Mario Bros. 3. Not to mention that I don't even own the former game yet, and the latter game is on Wii U VC.

It also seems that third-party games like Sonic Forces won't require a subscription for online play. More SOS missions in that game, I guess.

The best news about this is that Version 5 CFW should be released any time now.

Russian Baby Luigi said:
The best news about this is that Version 5 CFW should be released any time now.
Nah, they say it's fine if you want to play a game that requires 6.0.0. The homebrew scene will just catch up. Atmosphere is said to work in that version too.

The homebrew scene for the switch right now is really fantastic. I swear, the speed people work these days...

Does the homebrew scene have an exploit that allows people to play online without paying?

Thank you for reading.

winstein said:
Does the homebrew scene have an exploit that allows people to play online without paying?

Thank you for reading.
No point, Nintendo would just ban you. If you want to mod your console you have to think between two terms: flexible customization, NAND backups (yes some people had bricked consoles from system updates and homebrew fixed it for them), saves, and of course if you're that person, piracy; or online play.

Roy Mustang said:
The homebrew scene for the switch right now is really fantastic. I swear, the speed people work these days...
It's still pretty early but I saw nice things from it including possibility to mod Skyrim, custom background themes, custom avatars (yeah there's the BAD aspect of that one), and maybe emulation for games?

I know for sure that I dread seeing THAT icon if it appears on an eShop game. What's that icon I speak of? It's this:

icon-online-play.png

Never thought that that is an icon I wish is absent in a game. Sure it's a cool icon, but it also represents the advent of paid online services. Sure I can afford it, but there's no incentive as of now.

Thank you for reading.

Back