The Sonic General Thread (Team Sonic Racing Released!)

Re: The Sonic General Thread (Team Sonic Racing Revealed!)

Poochy said:
Bruh Big The Cat will definitely be my main.

Hahaha that was a nice joke.

So the characters I'm maining might be Team Sonic, considering I like that team more, and Sonic, Tails and Knuckles are some of my favourite characters, Sonic being my #1 favourite character in the franchise.

Also, I think the thread's title should be changed, as the game got revealed in quite a while.

Re: The Sonic General Thread (Team Sonic Racing Comes Out May 21st)

Poochy said:
Poochy said:
Bruh Big The Cat will definitely be my main.

Hahaha that was a nice joke.

So the characters I'm maining might be Team Sonic, considering I like that team more, and Sonic, Tails and Knuckles are some of my favourite characters, Sonic being my #1 favourite character in the franchise.

Also, I think the thread's title should be changed, as the game got revealed in quite a while.

I've changed it to mention the release date for the game. Normally it just refers to the next upcoming game. But since Team Sonic Racing seems to be all there is this year (I don't actually consider that a bad thing to be honest, because if there is another major Sonic game coming out this year. It'd probably be a tie-in game with the live action movie. No thank you)

Toadettefan14 said:
I’m still waiting for Cream to be announced as a playable character, but at this point, I don’t even think she’s going to appear in any form in TSR(which would be disappointing, she is my favourite Sonic character)!

Yeah, it's unfortunate but it seems Cream has been pretty much phased out of the series. Which is a shame since she was kind of the Princess Daisy of the Sonic franchise back in the early 2000's. (Hell you could argue Cream was more important to Sonic then Daisy was to Mario considering Cream did get playable appearances in actual platformer titles)

Beat Sonic Forces.

The game ranged from mediocre (most modern Sonic stages and Avatar stages) to downright bad (most classic Sonic stages), with Stage 28 being the worst. Why does Classic Sonic feel like he's wearing lead shoes? The game also dumps boost wisps everywhere but boosting in half the stages leads to a bottomless pit. Really baffling game design.

The final boss being a rehash of a previous final boss is just the icing on the cake...

Not the worst Sonic game I've played, but it's pretty forgettable and I wouldn't blame someone for calling it a bad game. Dare I say, I had more fun with Shadow the Hedgehog.

Well, since no-one posted this someone had to do it

Oh no

I mean...

I like how Eggman looks

At least Sonic's voice doesn't suck. He kinda sounds like a badass tbh.

I want to see it. Not because it looks good but because good or bad I feel like I'll be entertained.

I wouldn't pay money to see it, especially if it turns out bad.

Well no I won't be paying for it. But if it showed up on Netflix I'll be all over it.

Good news: They heard the backlash and they’re fixing Sonic’s design! Does that raise hopes for the movie actually being good? Well, even if it does have his better design in the first place, the plot of the movie is giving me Smurfs vibes with the whole “workaholic man gets his life turned around with the help of a popular character” plot seasoned with Michael Bay styled-military. The only thing I’m looking forward to is Jim Carrey as Robotnik. I hope the movie itself surprises me just like how Goosebumps surprised me.

Too bad they're not gonna fix the roster of Team Sonic Racing, a far more pressing problem imo.

supermariofan said:
Good news: They heard the backlash and they’re fixing Sonic’s design! Does that raise hopes for the movie actually being good? Well, even if it does have his better design in the first place, the plot of the movie is giving me Smurfs vibes with the whole “workaholic man gets his life turned around with the help of a popular character” plot seasoned with Michael Bay styled-military. The only thing I’m looking forward to is Jim Carrey as Robotnik. I hope the movie itself surprises me just like how Goosebumps surprised me.
Whoa, really? That never happens! Glad they're taking the fans' advice (not always a good thing, I know, but in this case it is).

LeftyGreenMario said:
Too bad they're not gonna fix the roster of Team Sonic Racing, a far more pressing problem imo.
Vector's playable and that's all that matters imo

They're wasting their time. The fans will always find something to whine about. Even if they actually managed to satisfy them somehow, do the fans really deserve it? It's like they've got Sega locked in their basement, forced to make products in the vain hope that one of them will satisfy them. And if it does? "Great, I can't wait to pretend this doesn't exist in a few months so just so I can keep saying Sonic hasn't been in anything good in 40 years. NOW GET BACK TO WORK."

They're still a company, business and all, so they are gonna want to grab the most cash possible. If everyone complains about a movie that probably has a big budget, and if the fans just aren't convinced to watch, there will be no profit to make from that.

Hey look at that. Sonic Team is mad because the director cares so much about the IP than they have in recent years.

https://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/sonic-team-insulted-movie-director-would-do-something-so-pathetic-as-respond-to-fan-feedback/

“Sonic is a character who has existed around the world for 28 years. Over all those years we have released dozens of games starring Sonic and his friends, most of which have been bad and borderline unplayable”. “Despite this, we have never listened to a single piece of feedback from our fans, and we don’t intend to start anytime soon. The insensitive decision by Fowler and his team yesterday to immediately give in to the public’s dissatisfaction flies in the face of that storied tradition.” You know, perhaps this is why your games have ranged from mediocre to terrible in recent years.

In a way I'm glad you posted that because I was wondering if I was exaggerating or being too harsh with mine. But of course not, because here you are proving my point. And also taking an Onion-style satire article completely seriously so wow good job there.

Let's go back in time about ten years. Sonic 06 has left an undeniable stain on the series that'll take some time to wash out. No matter what else Sega tries, the fans just put their fingers in their ears and say "CLASSIC SONIC WAS BETTER LA LA LA," so they listen to the fans and decide, "let's try making another classic sonic game". Unfortunately it doesn't turn out exactly how the fans wanted (surprise!), but what's even more surprising is that Sega anticipated this! The whole reason the game was done in an episodic format was so that they could listen to the fans and improve on what was criticized in the next episode. So along comes Sonic 4 episode 2. Hey, it's pretty alright! So the fans ignore it. If you say "Sonic 4" to them, they'll just think of episode 1 and everything they didn't like about it.

But maybe that isn't completely fair. Because both episodes of Sonic 4 were kind of overshadowed by other Sonic games released around the same time. Namely, Colors and Generations. Remember those? People loved those! Especially Generations, where they listened to the fans who didn't like Sonic 4 having a modern-style Sonic, and had Classic Sonic make his triumphant return. Wow, two good Sonic games in recent memory. How could we forget about those? Oh that's right, it's because there were a couple more missteps with Lost World and Rise of Lyric. Sorry Sega, but you know the rules by now. Your smallest mistakes immediately overshadow your greatest accomplishments. Never mind that you listened to the fans and patched Rise of Lyric. They'll still use any logic they can to prove it's the worst yet.

"yeah it's not as bad as 06 but because of that it's actually worse than 06 because the bugs don't stand out as much so it's just boring" - actual comments I've read

So now we're back where we staCLASSIC SONIC WAS BETTER LA LA LA. Wait, no, I almost forgot. The days leading up to Mania were the same days people were seriously latching onto the idea that Sonic was never good. And how did that turn out? Oh yeah, Mania proved them wrong. How could I forget? Maybe because it was completely forgotten when people didn't like Forces. What were you thinking, Sega? Why would you release that after Mania's success? Oh that's right. For something as big as the 25th anniversary, you thought you'd not only listen to the fans who still wanted a classic-style game, but also listen to the fans with fond memories of the Adventure-era games, and try to ensure there's something for everyone. Wow, that's pretty considerate for a company that allegedly churns out "bad and borderline unplayable" games 24/7 and doesn't listen to any feedback.

And now here we are, with someone listening to the fans for supposedly the first time ever. And what do they get in return? More complaining. So why the fuck do they bother?

This post needs a medal.

Sega's been trying to "listen to the fans" for the years. Problem is Sonic fans can almost never agree on anything. Each one having been part of a different era and wanting the series to reflect that.

The Pyro Guy said:
supermariofan said:
https://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/sonic-team-insulted-movie-director-would-do-something-so-pathetic-as-respond-to-fan-feedback/
thehardtimes.net is a satire website i would even go so far as to refer to their content as 'Fake News'
This post from the other thread just had to be said here.

Mcmadness said:
Sega's been trying to "listen to the fans" for the years. Problem is Sonic fans can almost never agree on anything. Each one having been part of a different era and wanting the series to reflect that.
Probably what you get from a huge fanbase.

I thinks it's less of a problem with having a huge fanbase, and more of a problem of having an extremely fractured fanbase. The Sonic series has had so many different gameplay styles in the Main Series games, that by having one style of gameplay you're going to upset the fans of the other styles of gameplay, meaning that there's no way to please the majority.

Yeah, and it doesn't help that the ultimate power behind all this is nostalgia, a longing for a past that has never quite existed, so when there is a flaw in the gameplay of a Sonic game, I feel that won't come without some controversy. But I really don't know if this is really unique to a particular fanbase. From sheer numbers and just how games are made by humans, you will get tons of disagreements on particular game play decisions. But there's no denying the games themselves are flawed either? Sonic Mania getting the exception. Mario games tend to have tons of disagreements too, especially surrounding Sunshine, the 3D Land World games, the Galaxy games, New Super Mario Bros. Games, Super Mario Odyssey, Super Mario 64, and that's just the platformers. Those games tend to have quite a bit of variety too, maybe not as drastically different gameplay styles, but you still have those disagreements. Sonic Mania I feel is a game that did get a positive consensus, which shows that Sonic games can have that sort of consensus.

So idk, I feel it's a combination of huge fanbase that's way too easy to generalize as a hivemind, a lot of different games, older games that have the benefit of nostalgia, bunch of recent mediocre games, and incompetence from developers.

there's also the excellent sonic racing series too like all-stars racing and transformed too :) though to be fair it's more of a crossover title than it is a sonic ip but that also dispells the notion that sonic's name instantly doesn't make a game bad.

Back