The Sonic General Thread (Team Sonic Racing Released!)

Re: The Sonic General Thread (Sonic Forces is Released!)

By the way I should probably mention something that might be important to know about Forces that at least may put a little perspective on how it could be a step backwards from Generations. Not too long ago Sega had some huge layoffs going on, it especially was big in the North American end of things for Sega.

It's possible as a result, Forces had a much smaller team then for either Colors or Generations. Not to mention people entirely new to designing Sonic games.

While Forces may not be exactly as good as people hoped. Sega isn't exactly in the best position yet.

That said I'm still standing by that the game is objectively passable. It's neither a complete failure though in no way am I saying it's a masterpiece either. There will be a rush to make it look worse then it actually is because of the "lulz Sonic still can't 3d" bandwagon that's shown up for almost every new Sonic game ever since Sonic 06.

Maybe I'm being a little too forgiving since the bar has been kinda low for Sonic games since 06. And how we had Mania come out this year that is a good Sonic game and how the whiplash from how good Mania is to how mediocre/average/ok Forces may be is part of the reaction towards it. But I don't feel this is a game to be panicking/get angry about like the combination of buggy and awkward messes that games like Sonic 06 and Rise of Lyric were. At worst it's a game you can just shrug your shoulders with a meh and wait for a discount and/or save your money for obviously better games.

I have thought that Eggman wasn't really being used well in this game when I first seen the cutscenes, but I didn't want to disappoint others so I never pointed this out. It's a real shame that the premise of this game (Eggman taking over the world) didn't present us with more Eggman goodness.

Seems like a decent game, but I don't feel interested in it the same way I am with Mania, which has a really good boss that I would find easy (but I can see how some will have trouble with it). It's still in my wishlist, though.

Thank you for reading.

How come the male character can be naked but the female character has to wear a body suit?

The same logic that every female character has to wear pants.

I don't know, ooooo furries...?

Do gay furries not exist? Or straight female furries?

Super Sonic has been found in the game files for Sonic Forces, fully working.
And he's going to be DLC.

$40 for ~3 hours worth of gameplay and they think that justifies DLC?

Completely unrelated but there are My Nintendo offers for 50% off on 3D Sonic the Hedgehog and 3D Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (the originals except with the 3ds's 3d feature added). I'm considering getting one of the two since I have a ton of Platinum points, it makes it only $3, and it will give me some Gold points (which are actually better than Platinum points, but I digress). Should I spring for it? If so, which one (or both)? BTW I've never played a Sonic game before and the offer ends in 6 days.

I say you should definitely play the first two original Sonic games. I think the first one is a good starting point but the second one isn't a bad deal either.

The second one is the better game, I'd say go with that.

Shame they don't have the third game & Knuckles.

Imo, StH1 isn't that good, especially compared to StH2 and 3+Knuckles.

Only half the levels are fun (Green Hill, Spring Yard, and Star Light) and the other half range from boring to infuriating. There's also no spindash to help with speed.

On the other hand, all the levels in Sonic 2 save for Metropolis Zone are fun. I'd say go for 2 over 1 in a heartbeat.

I've read in places that Sonic 2 can be pretty difficult so I just wonder if a new player like Luigi 64 DD can get into the groove.

Sonic 2 is challenging, but Sonic 1 has more bullshit parts and boring parts. He would have more fun with 2. And if he has a friend, they can play together with P2 being Tails.

edit: wait, disregard last sentence. I just remembered you're getting this on 3ds.

Luigi 64DD said:
Completely unrelated but there are My Nintendo offers for 50% off on 3D Sonic the Hedgehog and 3D Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (the originals except with the 3ds's 3d feature added). I'm considering getting one of the two since I have a ton of Platinum points, it makes it only $3, and it will give me some Gold points (which are actually better than Platinum points, but I digress). Should I spring for it? If so, which one (or both)? BTW I've never played a Sonic game before and the offer ends in 6 days.
I would go and say play Sonic 3 & Knuckles, but Sega keep on deciding to not port that game to modern consoles. So I recommend Sonic 2, as I find that Sonic 1 didn't hold up too well for me.

Gamefreak75 said:
Imo, StH1 isn't that good, especially compared to StH2 and 3+Knuckles.

Only half the levels are fun (Green Hill, Spring Yard, and Star Light) and the other half range from boring to infuriating. There's also no spindash to help with speed.

On the other hand, all the levels in Sonic 2 save for Metropolis Zone are fun. I'd say go for 2 over 1 in a heartbeat.
Sega 3D Classics are known to add a variety of options to the main game, mainly the option to save state. For Sonic 1, they added the option to switch on Spindash, which is pretty nice, but as you mentioned Sonic 2 is the better game overall.

Thank you for reading.

I decided to get both. Guess I'll play StH 1 first.

What are the opinions of all of you on Sonic having different soundtracks between different versions of the same game? I am not referring to Sonic games that are different (Sonic 1 Genesis and Sonic 1 Master System), but three particular titles: Sonic 3, Sonic 3D and Sonic CD. The Genesis versions of each game has different music depending on which version you play.

If you aren't familiar, Sonic 3 replaced certain music (the Knuckles portion remains intact) when it was ported to the PC. Sonic CD has different CD music in the North American version that is used in other ports of the game, with the operative keyword being "CD music". This means that the Past music for every level is the same, since that's oddly not CD music. Finally, Sonic 3D has an entirely different soundtrack when it was ported to the Saturn (PC is based on Saturn's).

Although the Genesis version is no doubt the definitive music in the minds of people, I feel more at home with Sonic 3 and Sonic 3D's alternative music because I played these on the PC first, before finding out how radically different the Genesis version was. However, Sonic CD is a different story for me. It surprised me how much catchier the soundtrack is for the Japanese version that I wind up preferring it over the US version.

So what are your opinions: which soundtrack is the best for the Sonic games with different music?

Thank you for reading.

the original sonic 3 soundtrack is better because michael jackson worked on some of those songs and you can tell

The one exception to that in my opinion would be the Launch Base, which sounds too relaxed, especially when you're playing without lock-on and it's the last stage, but even when it's not it's still supposed to be a big deal. But in the PC version, it sounds so much more daring and heroic.
But then there were two hacks that fixed the original.

I prefer the Japan/PAL music in CD for similar reasons. It just sounds so much more alive.

Sonic Boom is alright, but it doesn't really hold a candle to Sonic - You Can Do Anything or Cosmic Eternity - Believe In Yourself written and performed by the late Casey Rankin, and I fail to see why they needed to make a completely separate song for the American release when the lyrics of the originals were in English.

The PC version of Launch Base Zone offends me on a religious level

I should point out that, while I like Sonic 3's PC music for the most part, I loved Genesis' miniboss music more because it was unforgettable compared to the PC's theme. I've wondered who composed the music for Sonic 3's PC replacement themes, since you don't hear of any notable composers doing this, unlike Sonic 3D and Sonic CD.

Thank you for reading.

For Switch owners who are also Sonic fans that are left on-the-fence about the $40 price tag of the game for something with rather mixed reviews. Amazon (As well as Best Buy) lists the game for only $25. That's a pretty reasonable price drop. So it might be a good idea to pick it up if you still want it in any capacity sometime today/this weekend.

It's also the bonus edition so it comes wth some extra Avatar items and a controller skin for the joy cons and grip. (Though I might just use one of the skins. The Sonic sided one, not really sure about the Infinite one)

I've already ordered it though I don't have the Switch yet. I will by Christmas though.

Attempted to recreate my old fan character in Forces.

dYIVRFd.png

Got Sonic Forces for my birthday, and finished the first boss.

Back