• Metroid Prime Pinball

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Metroid Prime Hunters

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
no, that's correct

samus returns has the same basic world and the same plot as metroid II

but there's new graphics, new pickups, new playstyle, new powerups (for example they added several powerups created in super to this game, like zero mission did)

it's overall very much a different game with the same basic core, rather than just metroid II with a skin of paint

So now I'm in Area 4. Still very much enjoying the game.
Somewhat annoyed by the fact that SR-388's two most abundant natural resources seem to be sticky goop and ventilation systems.

Also, I activated some giant robot thing earlier, so I'm pretty sure that I'll have to fight that at some point

Tuxedo Ridley said:
Also, I activated some giant robot thing earlier, so I'm pretty sure that I'll have to fight that at some point

I got to a point last night where it started to chase me. It was late and I was tired so I died pretty much instantly.

Weasel said:
Tuxedo Ridley said:

I got to a point last night where it started to chase me. It was late and I was tired so I died pretty much instantly.
Yeah I got to that like 5 minutes after I posted this lol

I beat the game!

Very good game, it really deserves the name Samus Returns. She's back for real and it really shows.

-That fucking Ridley fight was awesome, good subversion of expectations and man it was just fun. Plus he had some of his Meta armor!
-Red spikes were annoying until I found out about the Power Bomb + Spider Ball trick
-They did a great job incorporating the newer abilities! I bet if you showed this to someone they'd never guess Grapple Beam or Gravity Suit or Charge Beam didn't exist in Metroid II
-I was wondering the whole game why it seemed like some of the items were locked off by the baby-destroyable crystals and then at the end i finally realized
-that leadup for Metroid Fusion, hot damn. excellent stinger
-Metroid fights felt a lot more climatic, here; fitting for the namesake of the series

Overall, very solid game, and it gets me extra hype for Prime 4!

Now to go get that delicious, delicious 100%.

Hey I'm in Area 5 now
So I have all but two major upgrades and I'm pretty sure there's like 3 or 4 areas left after this one, which is weird. I think either this game has Samus spending more of it at full power as usual or some kind of crazy shit is gonna go down once I get all of them

followup: i have 100% completed the game! done with it for now, afaik hard mode in samus returns doesn't unlock anything special so i don't intend on doing it

that fucking teaser image in the gallery, holy shit

if we get Metroid 5 featuring Samus vs. Federation vs. Rogue Chozo Faction i would be so down for it

Miu Iruma said:
followup: i have 100% completed the game! done with it for now, afaik hard mode in samus returns doesn't unlock anything special so i don't intend on doing it

that *bleep*ing teaser image in the gallery, holy *bleep*

if we get Metroid 5 featuring Samus vs. Federation vs. Rogue Chozo Faction i would be so down for it

I'd be down for that if it means we FINALLY get a post fusion metroid game.

Working my way through Area 6 now
Strangely I'm finding Gammas to consistently be the most difficult variety of metroid to fight. The Zeta's ranged attacks tend to be spaced out and easy to avoid, and its counters/grapples are both easily exploitable to deal a ton of damage, especially with Super Missiles, which in my experience more than makes up for the fact that its weak point isn't exposed the majority of the time. The Omega hits hard but it's weak spot is constantly exposed and much easier to hit than even the Alpha's, and even though it hits hard most of its attacks are blatantly telegraphed and not particularly difficult to avoid. The fact that it drops a bunch of power-ups probably helps a bit too. Seems to be more of a damage sponge fight than anything.

Honestly... if it's by Retro Studios, I really couldn't care less about the delay. Just as long as they take the time to make it good.

Yes, it's true that very few people from the original trilogy days are still working at Retro. But honestly, a Metroid game from the people who made DKC Tropical Freeze sounds more exciting for me than a Metroid game from the people who made Prime 1-3.

ive never played a metroid but im happy the fans finally got something and it seems pretty cool!! also really cool how they revived a ds game they canceled, like, several times apparently

I have spent, literally, ALL FUCKING DAY trying to get a preorder on the Metroid Dread Special Edition. I'm not exaggerating. Most of my time has been spent refreshing Walmart/Target/GameStop/Amazon/Best Buy. I've bookmarked a Nintendo Life article that has all the links for the game and the amiibo. I've followed Twitter accounts like Nintendeal and Wario64, and turned on notifications for them to get alerted ASAP. I was SO CLOSE to getting the Special Edition on Walmart, but within 3 minutes it was sold out. When I'm not checking for preorders, I'm THINKING about checking for preorders. I refuse to start playing a game because I don't want to get too distracted from checking for preorders. Even while I write this comment, I'm continually checking websites (Primarily Walmart, but I'm scared because I saw 1 guy say that they're infamous for cancelling preorders). I'm so committed to checking for the Metroid Dread Special Edition preorders that I haven't even TRIED getting the amiibo. Don't get me wrong, I REALLY WANT THEM, but my heart just can't fucking take that stress.

I'm seriously going crazy. I think I'll probably go to sleep late tonight, because I don't want to miss my chance. Even worse, I'm supposed to go on vacation in a few days, yet I'm not going to be able to enjoy it that much. I'll constantly be thinking about preordering the game and getting stressed out. I got an email from the place I'm applying to work at, and at first I didn't even fucking care because I was so distracted with getting a preorder (I did eventually realize that I should prioritize a job over Metroid, but it took me like an hour to respond. Hopefully I get it the job lol). My parents probably think I'm insane.

I'm not even excited for the game at this point. My excitement was replaced with anger from the scalpers using bots to buy up all the Special Editions. My anger has now been replaced with worry, as I fear I'm not going to be able to get it. Because limited editions of less popular games like Metroid are not produced that much, and it's entirely likely that I won't be able to get one. Even if I do, what if I don't get the amiibo? God I don't even want to consider that possibility.

And you wanna know something funny about this? Something REALLY FUNNY and HILARIOUS? Nintendo UK have this REALLY cool and neat system, where they NOT ONLY sell the Special Edition on their store, they ALSO limit it to 1 PER CUSTOMER! Isn't that funny??? It's ALMOST like that's LITERALLY THE PERFECT SYSTEM! The preorders are sold out now, but they were available for a few hours! That system would literally be perfect. Right now, Nintendo of America only has the standard version of Metroid Dread (Just the box and cartridge), and not the collector's edition. I'm sure it'll come eventually, but I don't know if they'll do the same "1 order per customer" policy. Even if they do, what if I'm in a situation where I can't preorder it, like it happens at night or while I'm away from my computer/phone? I honestly just don't have faith in Nintendo to stock them well, because they just LOVE artificial scarcity.

However, I do have SOME options, if I get too desperate. Here they are:

1. Import it
I couldn't get the UK one because I don't like there (Unfortunately), but I could import it using Amazon from the UK/Europe/Japan/where ever. My only concern is with Japan, 'cause IDK if I can set the language to English. I'd be fine with a UK copy though, that's where I got my copy of Splatoon 2 from and it's perfectly fine.

Ok so after writing that I just realized I don't have any other good options. Shit. For a SECOND I considered paying the scalpers, but I immediately realized that would be encouraging exactly what pisses me off, so I'm not doing that.

Now you may be wondering: Why don't I just give up and pay for the standard version? I mean, it's not gonna affect the quality of the actual game. Well, I guess there's a few reasons. IDC about the stupid cards, or the steelbook, but that 190 page artbook sounds incredible. A bigger reason is the fact that this is first new 2D Metroid in 19 god damn years. It's even called "Metroid Dread," the name of the cancelled game on the DS (That's why a lot of Metroid fans reacted strongly to the "Dread" subtitle. It would be like Valve revealing a new Half-Life game, and at the end it shows the name: "Half-Life 3").

But the biggest reason is because I've already committed THIS much time to this. It'd be like running a marathon, and then stopping 2 feet from the finish line. I've gone this far, why not finish it? I don't care what anyone says, call me crazy, call me stupid, IDC. I'm going to keep trying to get a preorder, and when I do, I can finally rest.

...until I start trying to get the amiibo. THAT'LL be even harder I'm sure.

Edit: I kept trying to hit "preorder" on Walmart and it keeps giving me a captcha... I think it thinks I'm a bot.

Edit 2: Ok so apparently some people got lucky and got a preorder. I on the other hand got spammed with captchas. What's worse, is the original link leads to a 3rd party seller that's giving it away for $35, and it's a huge scam. The OFFICIAL LINK for this NEW, ANTICIPATED PRODUCT, ON WALMART'S OWN WEBSITE, leads to a scam.

Edit 3: Alright, Walmart has apparently taken down the Special Edition. Great. On a slightly related note, preorders for the amiibo in Europe have gone up, but I'm holding out for an American version to pay less for shipping.

Last edited:
I have spent, literally, ALL FUCKING DAY trying to get a preorder on the Metroid Dread Special Edition. I'm not exaggerating. Most of my time has been spent refreshing Walmart/Target/GameStop/Amazon/Best Buy. I've bookmarked a Nintendo Life article that has all the links for the game and the amiibo. I've followed Twitter accounts like Nintendeal and Wario64, and turned on notifications for them to get alerted ASAP. I was SO CLOSE to getting the Special Edition on Walmart, but within 3 minutes it was sold out. When I'm not checking for preorders, I'm THINKING about checking for preorders. I refuse to start playing a game because I don't want to get too distracted from checking for preorders. Even while I write this comment, I'm continually checking websites (Primarily Walmart, but I'm scared because I saw 1 guy say that they're infamous for cancelling preorders). I'm so committed to checking for the Metroid Dread Special Edition preorders that I haven't even TRIED getting the amiibo. Don't get me wrong, I REALLY WANT THEM, but my heart just can't fucking take that stress.

I'm seriously going crazy. I think I'll probably go to sleep late tonight, because I don't want to miss my chance. Even worse, I'm supposed to go on vacation in a few days, yet I'm not going to be able to enjoy it that much. I'll constantly be thinking about preordering the game and getting stressed out. I got an email from the place I'm applying to work at, and at first I didn't even fucking care because I was so distracted with getting a preorder (I did eventually realize that I should prioritize a job over Metroid, but it took me like an hour to respond. Hopefully I get it the job lol). My parents probably think I'm insane.

I'm not even excited for the game at this point. My excitement was replaced with anger from the scalpers using bots to buy up all the Special Editions. My anger has now been replaced with worry, as I fear I'm not going to be able to get it. Because limited editions of less popular games like Metroid are not produced that much, and it's entirely likely that I won't be able to get one. Even if I do, what if I don't get the amiibo? God I don't even want to consider that possibility.

And you wanna know something funny about this? Something REALLY FUNNY and HILARIOUS? Nintendo UK have this REALLY cool and neat system, where they NOT ONLY sell the Special Edition on their store, they ALSO limit it to 1 PER CUSTOMER! Isn't that funny??? It's ALMOST like that's LITERALLY THE PERFECT SYSTEM! The preorders are sold out now, but they were available for a few hours! That system would literally be perfect. Right now, Nintendo of America only has the standard version of Metroid Dread (Just the box and cartridge), and not the collector's edition. I'm sure it'll come eventually, but I don't know if they'll do the same "1 order per customer" policy. Even if they do, what if I'm in a situation where I can't preorder it, like it happens at night or while I'm away from my computer/phone? I honestly just don't have faith in Nintendo to stock them well, because they just LOVE artificial scarcity.

However, I do have SOME options, if I get too desperate. Here they are:

1. Import it
I couldn't get the UK one because I don't like there (Unfortunately), but I could import it using Amazon from the UK/Europe/Japan/where ever. My only concern is with Japan, 'cause IDK if I can set the language to English. I'd be fine with a UK copy though, that's where I got my copy of Splatoon 2 from and it's perfectly fine.

Ok so after writing that I just realized I don't have any other good options. Shit. For a SECOND I considered paying the scalpers, but I immediately realized that would be encouraging exactly what pisses me off, so I'm not doing that.

Now you may be wondering: Why don't I just give up and pay for the standard version? I mean, it's not gonna affect the quality of the actual game. Well, I guess there's a few reasons. IDC about the stupid cards, or the steelbook, but that 190 page artbook sounds incredible. A bigger reason is the fact that this is first new 2D Metroid in 19 god damn years. It's even called "Metroid Dread," the name of the cancelled game on the DS (That's why a lot of Metroid fans reacted strongly to the "Dread" subtitle. It would be like Valve revealing a new Half-Life game, and at the end it shows the name: "Half-Life 3").

But the biggest reason is because I've already committed THIS much time to this. It'd be like running a marathon, and then stopping 2 feet from the finish line. I've gone this far, why not finish it? I don't care what anyone says, call me crazy, call me stupid, IDC. I'm going to keep trying to get a preorder, and when I do, I can finally rest.

...until I start trying to get the amiibo. THAT'LL be even harder I'm sure.

Edit: I kept trying to hit "preorder" on Walmart and it keeps giving me a captcha... I think it thinks I'm a bot.

Edit 2: Ok so apparently some people got lucky and got a preorder. I on the other hand got spammed with captchas. What's worse, is the original link leads to a 3rd party seller that's giving it away for $35, and it's a huge scam. The OFFICIAL LINK for this NEW, ANTICIPATED PRODUCT, ON WALMART'S OWN WEBSITE, leads to a scam.
Are there physical copies?

Very happy with the announcement. I adored Samus Returns, having 100% beaten it 2 times, and to hear Dread being is also developed by MercurySteam is nothing short of great news. Sakamoto's words visibly ring true: they are a very talented team with a great understanding of Metroid's design principles.

Though, I honestly think their supervision at Nintendo also deserves major credit. MercurySteam did seem to receive some external aid in bouncing back from the heap of shit that was Castlevania Mirrors of Fate. Either that, or Konami's supervision just sucked: as Sakamoto stated, Nintendo already took note of MercurySteam's impressive original pitch for a Fusion remake before development on Samus Returns started, so I'm leaning towards putting the blame on Konami--or simply the team's inexperience--for their prior failure.

I have spent, literally, ALL FUCKING DAY trying to get a preorder on the Metroid Dread Special Edition.

You know, I'd recommend against pre-ordering games to begin with, especially with how much stress it's causing you.

But yes, don't pay for fucking scaplers. They're a blight on humanity and while I hope we get regulations that specifically aim to curb their reprehensible behavior, do NOT give into them.

I think I'm starting to just give up and accept that I won't get the Special edition or amiibo. Kinda mad I didn't jump on the Japanese version when I had the chance, but whatever.

Back