Look at it! Look at it! LOOK AT IT!

MarioIceCapadesPromo.jpg

I hope this wasn't already posted XD

Is that the ice show where the GIF where Mario destroys that one koopa with a fireball comes from?

Doc von Schmeltwick said:
ThatGuy62 said:
Is that the ice show where the GIF where Mario destroys that one koopa with a fireball comes from?
It's the ice show, but I've never seen that .gif.

I'm mostly concerned with Luigi's eyes, and why his teeth are blue.
I didn't even notice the blue teeth until you mentioned it.
This is Fortran-tier, sheesh.

ThatGuy62 said:
ThatGuy62 said:
It's the ice show, but I've never seen that .gif.

I'm mostly concerned with Luigi's eyes, and why his teeth are blue.
I didn't even notice the blue teeth until you mentioned it.
This is Fortran-tier, sheesh.

Holy crud buckets, someone other than me remembers Fortran.

Mario_SMW.gif
Push_Start_to_Rich.png
Push_Start_to_Rich.png
Push_Start_to_Rich.png

In Yoshi's New Island, very few of the models have the oil paint/pastel quality to their textures; "Mr. Pipe" is a notable exception. Most of that was done through heavy abuse of in-game visual filters/shaders/stuff like that.

Now aside from that, this exists.
13361.png

Y̴̕̕ơ̢͝S̴̢̧̕͜h̕͜͏͟I̛͢!͜!̨̕͠!̵́̀͠

In Yoshi's New Island, very few of the models have the oil paint/pastel quality to their textures; "Mr. Pipe" is a notable exception. Most of that was done through heavy abuse of in-game visual filters/shaders/stuff like that.

13361.png

Those poor folks in Super Mario Odyssey must be scared to death by this monstrosity. :eek:

Rin Nelek said:

13361.png

Those poor folks in Super Mario Odyssey must be scared to death by this monstrosity. :eek:

Huh? Scared?

Low-Poly models of Mario characters, at least early on, are so fun because of how unpolished they are.

Their purpose is not to be "polished" or nice to look at. They're mean to preserve the silhouette by omitting extraneous details. They're also not meant to be viewed from the front either, why Bowser looks strange. If you view these models from really far away, you don't really get to see how ugly they are.

in fact, having poor lod models of them is necessary to maintain 60 fps, and it requires stuff like trimming down edge loops and baking the higher poly on the lower mesh

if anything, they're indication of a polished game despite how crap they look

I know exactly what the technical reasons for their low-poly-ness is, and it personally annoys me when people complain about MK7 models, given that they're meant to be seen from the back on a small screen from a distance on a comparatively low-power system, and as such making them high-quality would be an extraordinary waste of resources.

Nothing, however, excuses how drugged Yoshi's expression here looks.

i mean, it's still ugly beyond sin

it's necessarily ugly but still doesn't mean it's not ugly lol

You could drown in them.

But that's because of how big they are.

Artoon was pretty lazy graphically for Yoshi's Island DS. Almost all the sprites were from SMW2, YTT, or YT&G, just with different shading (and in the case of the middle, being drawn all over, this was the case with Bowser). Anyways, this also happened:

YIDS-Past_and_Present_Kamek.png

Now aside from space-time implications of stealing from yourself unknowingly, look how lazily-smoothed that SMW2 Kamek's enlarged sprite is. The angles are really jagged and unnatural-looking, come off as really lumpy, and don't even remotely resemble the style in which they were only slightly edited from. It looks like something I'd have edited in the 5th or 6th grade before I understood how to make curves with pixels.

Anyways, for comparison, here's the SMA3 rendition of that sprite:
SMA3_Kamek_sprite.png
YIDS_Younger_Kamek.png

Unfortunately, the end of Artoon's tenure as the creator of Yoshi platformers did not end the laziness of the franchise, as seen by YNI.....the Good-Feel ones look pretty good, at least.

(On a side note, check out Bowser's sprite sheet: https://www.spriters-resource.com/resources/sheets/83/85804.png)

Artoon was pretty lazy graphically for Yoshi's Island DS. Almost all the sprites were from SMW2, YTT, or YT&G, just with different shading (and in the case of the middle, being drawn all over, this was the case with Bowser). Anyways, this also happened:

YIDS-Past_and_Present_Kamek.png

Now aside from space-time implications of stealing from yourself unknowingly, look how lazily-smoothed that SMW2 Kamek's enlarged sprite is. The angles are really jagged and unnatural-looking, come off as really lumpy, and don't even remotely resemble the style in which they were only slightly edited from. It looks like something I'd have edited in the 5th or 6th grade before I understood how to make curves with pixels.

Anyways, for comparison, here's the SMA3 rendition of that sprite:
SMA3_Kamek_sprite.png
YIDS_Younger_Kamek.png

Unfortunately, the end of Artoon's tenure as the creator of Yoshi platformers did not end the laziness of the franchise, as seen by YNI.....the Good-Feel ones look pretty good, at least.

(On a side note, check out Bowser's sprite sheet: https://www.spriters-resource.com/resources/sheets/83/85804.png)
In hindsight, it's kinda odd how Past!Kamek did nothing to chase after Future!Kamek.
I know they wanted to keep the plot simple, but still.

I like Baby Luigi's sprites, the little that he had.

BabyLuigi_-_YIDS.png

I REALLY wish someone would rip his Touch & Go sprites, though, specifically the ones where he rides Yoshi. I do think his DS sprite is taken from his Touch & Go sprite but

BabyLuigi_-_YTandG.png

i mean, why reinvent a perfect tire?

Back