Look at it! Look at it! LOOK AT IT!

I just remember it being called "Longchu" or "Manichu."

Yo said:
"This alien" just happens to be Peachette's true form.

that joke actually has been made

So does that mean Bowser's mouth is actually programmed to remain open?

Not necessarily. Peach's mouth is tiny compared to Bowser's mouth, and the parts rigged to his animations means that it stretches to that spot, meaning that it will make Peach's mouth open at all times.

And this is why I am not a rigger.

800px-SMG_Mario_on_the_ground.png

I'm not sure if the emulator accurately reflects the color from the source game but do I need to explain why this is an atrocious camera shot? People back then called these jagged low-res sprites up-close "oatmeal".

Yeah, I know, this ugliness is more of an abstract kind of ugliness.

From this angle his cheeks don't seem properly proportioned to his face

Sometimes, I wonder the skill level of the people who model and render these incredibly hideous abominations.

I mean, look at me when I modeled and rendered Baby Luigi from scratch. He doesn't look hideous. Right?

Well to be fair with Baby Luigi you don't really have to worry about the eyes being soulless, they're just black pinpricks with shinies on them.

Course I'm only just now learning to use Blender, as last time I tried it it crashed almost immediately (an honor shared with virtually no other program on my computer), and I couldn't figure out how to actually make things in Poser (which I seem to have misplaced the disk of). So take what I say with a grain of salt.

Typically, when you make models, you use a blueprint reference image for the background on the different angles: front side and top, like say, a T-posed Mario. You usually don't draw them by eye, which looks like that's been done for the really poor quality models like the unfortunate fellow posted here. For modeling Baby Luigi, I was lucky to already have a model of him ripped, all I needed to do now was to lay him out like I would a blueprint and then start modeling from there.

Maya is my program of choice when it comes to modeling, by the way. Blender has such a wonky UI that I find it annoying to work with. But maybe because I was never taught with Blender; Maya and 3DS Max, I was taught with. Started with 3DS Max as early as 2011, learned to use Maya around 2016, so I'm more familiar with them.

Ehhhh, you don't necessarily have to. I made several of my models just from nicking a bunch of reference images online. Anyhow, I HAVE seen a Mario model sheet in a Mario promotional photo, underneath a Mario statue/ figure on top, but I forgot where it was. It might've been in the Wiki or Supper Mario Broth. Basically, if you see three cleanly drawn characters standing there perfectly staring at you or at their sides or showing behind them like they're in a police mugshot lineup, that's a 3D concept sheet. But even so, you can also use Zbrush or Blender's sculpting feature for a quick 3D concept sculpt. You still have to retopo it in Maya (as in redo the mesh, make the wireframe pretty), as several hundred thousands or literally millions of polys is no way in hell going to be rendered in a game (Mario's models are generally only several thousand K *and* not even prerendered art comes close to millions of polys). And UV unwrapping those million K polys? Forget about it. Retopo a lengthy process, but results in a model where you don't have to be amazing at concepting in 2D and you can jump right into 3D without bugging about consistent proportions and all.

Most of this stuff flies over your head I guess.

Still, working with a 3D model without a blueprint image embedded on the program is like trying to draw poses without a reference or (as our friend Doc may understand) trying to draw sprites without a reference. It's do-able, most certainly, but it's still more difficult to get the model just right, and without it, unless you're extremely experienced with drawing and modeling images to a professional degree, you're gonna need them to make the best quality models you can. For example, I strongly doubt I can model a DP-27 without an image of one or modeling its proportions properly.

Though I do think that Z-brush sculpting works much better for organic models than artificial ones like buildings, robots, and guns. I don't think I can even make a DP-27 as well as I could with Z-brush than I could with Maya.

(lolol we're discussing our future profession here)

Makes sense to me. It's why they had trouble finding a way to make a model for Monty Mole back in the day, because the references for their appearance in Super Mario World were inconsistent with each other.

(Weird, I thought I posted this 3 and a half hours ago...)

Princess Mario said:
800px-SMG_Mario_on_the_ground.png

I'm not sure if the emulator accurately reflects the color from the source game but do I need to explain why this is an atrocious camera shot? People back then called these jagged low-res sprites up-close "oatmeal".

The Wii's graphics are also low-res compared to other consoles from the same era. I imagine the flowers didn't look that bad on the intended hardware.

people noticed.

I remember someone said that the flowers from a scene in Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess ruined the scene. If anyone remembers and can show an image that would be nice. And I recall, that's before emulation.

I like low-poly stuff from the PS1/Dreamcast/N64 Era.
Stuff like Mega Man Legends or Kirby 64 or Virtua Fighter.

You know, for most of the game it looks fine but in this one cutscene at the beginning of this video Bowser's fingers just look.....off.

Back