Unpopular opinions about the Super Smash Bros series.

At times I feel like the wrong sound effects were used for Yoshi's hitboxes. The following probably would've worked better.

Neutral Attack 1: Punch
Neutral Attack 2: Punch
F-tilt: Punch
U-tilt: Punch
D-tilt: Punch
Dash: Punch
F-smash: Kick
U-smash: Punch
D-smash: Punch
N-air: Punch
F-air: Kick
B-air: Punch
U-air: Punch
D-air: Punch

I just can't use Sheik right. Zelda IS better, you are right about that.

I also never use Shulk's jump or speed monado. The three others are the only ones I really find useful.

Tingle should absolutely be playable in Smash Bros.

I really don't like the Dracula's Castle stage. There's a point where something is too dark or too light, and this stage has crossed the line of too dark.

That might just be my eyes though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Moldo said:
I really don't like the Dracula's Castle stage. There's a point where something is too dark or too light, and this stage has crossed the line of too dark.

The change to a 2D perspective was nice, and I like it. It's not my favorite World of Light sub-area though; I give that title to Mysterious Dimension.

Team Kirby said:
Moldo said:

The change to a 2D perspective was nice, and I like it. It's not my favorite World of Light sub-area though; I give that title to Mysterious Dimension.

I'm talking about the fighting stage Dracula's Castle, not the WoL area.

The stage is neat, I'd love to have some more, dark-themed ruins-type stages in my games.

Baby Luigi said:
The stage is neat, I'd love to have some more, dark-themed ruins-type stages in my games.
Post apocalypse remake of New Donk City, we need it

It IS called the "Metro" Kingdom so....hopefully it would be overrun with demons, watchmen, and dark ones.

The Ruined Kingdom should have not been a glorified boss arena.

The last time I have to hear Smash Ultimate's main theme, that will come too soon.

And it doesn't have a thousand iterations of the same song either. I get so freaking sick of the main themes so quickly even in the few times I turned on the music.

Everyone says Sonic spins in nearly all of his moves, but I think there aren't much spinning moves and a lot of his moves are brand new to smash.

Poochy said:
Everyone says Sonic spins in nearly all of his moves, but I think there aren't much spinning moves and a lot of his moves are brand new to smash.

Looking at his Smash Wiki page, he does have quite a few spinning moves. However, it's kinda split between spinning and punching/kicking. Most of his punches and kicks are from some game called Sonic the Fighters.

Melee looks worse than Brawl.

All of the Mario characters are an awkward transition point between their Classic and Modern designs, and why do the Bros. have tan skin?

Mario_SSBM.jpg
Luigi_SSBM.jpg
Dr._Mario_SSBM.jpg

Those guys are literally baked potatoes.

None of the other the human characters have this problem, not even Peach who is also a Mario character.
Link_SSBM.jpg
Captain_Falcon_SSBM.jpg
Ness_SSBM.jpg
Peach_SSBM.jpg
Zelda_SSBM.jpg
Young_Link_SSBM.jpg
Ice_Climbers_SSBM.jpg
Marth_SSBM.jpg
Roy_SSBM.jpg

I know the Zelda characters are Hylians, but if Mario characters can be considered humans then so can the Zelda characters.

Can we talk about animals for a second? Good, because with those arms I wouldn't blame you for mistaking DK as the guy who will stretch his arms out just for you.
and can handstand if he needs to
Donkey_Kong_SSBM.jpg

Also the top tier Star Fox characters look awful.

Fox_SSBM.jpg
Falco_SSBM.jpg

The top of Falco's head makes him look like a punk, and Fox's face deserves a spot in the "Look at it! Look at it! LOOK AT IT!" thread.

I swear, Bowser and Yoshi actually try harder to look realistic then they do in Brawl.

Yoshi_SSBM.jpg
Bowser_SSBM.jpg

I was going to complain about Pikachu, but I can't for the life of me figure out what's wrong with him.

Pikachu_SSBM.jpg
Pikachu_SSBU.png

Maybe he's just been working out a lot recently?

About 90% of complaints about Brawl's character design is its "muted colour palette" and "slightly realistic character designs" which isn't as a bad as the characters genuinely looking terrible.

Anyway thanks for coming to my TED Talk, I wrote it while listening to Sonic music.

Shy Guy on Wheels: Old Pikachu from Melee, I like more, but maybe I just grew up with chubby Pikachu.

I agree Mario and Luigi look a lot uglier in Melee. I remember not being able to stand his appearance in Melee, and I liked how he looked in Brawl a lot more... though those angry eyebrows detract a little. Mario in his Melee artwork looks like he has a double chin, so not very flattering angles.

I remember Link looking ugly from the Melee to Brawl transition (man that trailer is so nostalgic, holy hell, it's been that long, hasn't it?.

IMO I think Peach still looks off in this game. I can't pinpoint it, but yeah.

I think Fox looks good in this one. People hated Fox's Barlw design and called it "chipmunk", I remember that. Falco doesn't seem too bad either, but wasn't hit as hard as Fox.

let me think about that

BRAWL IS THE BEST GAME IN THE SMASH BROS. SERIES, AND THE BEST GAME OF ALL TIME.
That's right. I'm making the claim that the least competitive game in the series is best. Wanna know why?
Subspace Emissary is a billion times longer than World of Light, and with more platforming stages than just the half o' one featured in Ultimate.
Ultimate also removed fan-favorite modes like Home-Run Contest, an actual Multi-Man Smash, and the one thing people still remember Smash 4 for, Crazy Orders.
And Sonic...oh, how they butchered Sonic in the later games.
I am of the opinion that pre-Colors Sonic had the best voice. When his voice in Smash was changed with the rest of the medium, I hated that change.
THEY REMOVED THE GOD**** MEMES FROM HIS CHARACTER AND LEFT ONLY A LIFELESS CORPSE OF WHAT HE USED TO BE

So yeah, that's my most unpopular opinion on the Smash series. It could possibly be nostalgia.

Re: let me think about that

SuperDoom said:
THEY REMOVED THE GOD**** MEMES FROM HIS CHARACTER
You act like that's a bad thing

Subspace Emissary is pretty rubbish and not only long, but way too long. I can't tell what's worse, though, that or World of Light. Nowadays, people talk about the Subspace Emissary and how amazing it is, but in my opinion, it's so dreary from the rubbish gameplay, painfully generic enemies, okay music, Mario getting killed way too many unnecessary times, the plot choosing abc gum Kirby and his friends to be the freaking savior of everything (same as in World of Light, old habits never seem to die),
forced to use characters you don't care about, painfully generic and forgettable levels, and the Great Maze just sucks ass but I guess you can use your favorite character at that point.

World of Light gets a small edge but only if you really like Mario or Kirby or some other characters that appear super early. Kinda screwed if you like Luigi. One improvement of World of Light can possibly be you choose one character that gets plot armor (rather than Kirby getting three layers of plot armor and contrivance) and use that character to save everyone. Wouldn't make World of Light less repetitive and boring, but hey, at least you can suffer together with your main and get to spend some quality time together.

Back