Unpopular opinions about the Super Smash Bros series.

TAC?

Kokoro said:
Geno should not be added as a playable character. I think he would be a lame addition.
Geno isn't close to my first pick for a Mario RPG representative personally, but he is the one with the most discussion and notability in the eyes of Sakurai, that's why I support him.

I'd rather have Mallow over Geno, he's an actual character that got development rather then "I'm Mr. Star Warrior and we need to save to the Star Road".

Even then, if we get a Mario RPG rep, I'd only really want Paper Mario.

Isabelle said:
Nah, we don't need 3 Marios in Smash. We already have Mario and Dr. Mario (not to mention Luigi, who has similar moves). How about someone from the M&L series? Starlow and Fawful are basically the flagship OCs for the series, so why not one of them?

King Dedede said:
Isabelle said:
Nah, we don't need 3 Marios in Smash. We already have Mario and Dr. Mario (not to mention Luigi, who has similar moves). How about someone from the M&L series? Starlow and Fawful are basically the flagship OCs for the series, so why not one of them?
M&L Mario for smash

How about Baby Mario + Baby Luigi with a moveset from Partners in Time? It would still reflect the general co-op Bros. style of the series while not being easily confused with the characters Mario and Luigi who are in Smash.

King Dedede said:
Starlow and Fawful
Don't even compare those two lol. If there is an M&L OC it needs to be Fawful no questions asked, but if it somehow wasn't him, then Prince Peasley, or Antasma, or Cackletta, or heck even Dark Bowser or Princess Shroob, I'd take over Starlow.

Lord Fawful DX said:
King Dedede said:
Starlow and Fawful
Don't even compare those two lol. If there is an M&L OC it needs to be Fawful no questions asked, but if it somehow wasn't him, then Prince Peasley, or Antasma, or Cackletta, or heck even Dark Bowser or Princess Shroob, I'd take over Starlow.
I was just saying that those two are the most iconic M&L OCs, and that if an M&L OC got into Smash, it would be one of them. It has nothing to do with moveset potential or my opinions on the characters.

Lord Fawful DX said:
How about Baby Mario + Baby Luigi with a moveset from Partners in Time? It would still reflect the general co-op Bros. style of the series while not being easily confused with the characters Mario and Luigi who are in Smash.

I am utterly salivating at my mouth at this idea.

Also, why not throw in a destroyed subway tunnel stage teeming with hostile Specknoses and military grade round currency as their home stage while we're at it, eh?

*becomes mindlessly drooling*

King Dedede said:
Isabelle said:
I don't see anything wrong with Paper Mario as long as he has no moves shared with his 3D counterparts.

Lord Fawful DX said:
I had an idea with this. They could also have that "One attacks after the other" gimmick that the Ice Climbers have, and maybe their recovery move could be a bubble from the Yoshi's Island games, except without the crying.

King Dedede said:
Isabelle said:

Paper Mario would have a different moveset entirely, I don't see why anyone would oppose him. He doesn't even battle like regular Mario.

Putt-Putt said:
Except for having a hammer, is there actually anything that Paper Mario can do that Mario himself can't?
Mario even has a hammer in the M&L games, and he started life as a carpenter. The only thing Paper Mario has going for him is the fact that he's paper and can fold himself...but in Smash he would get miserably soaked by Mario's down special because of that. Paper Mario in Smash? No thanks.

King Dedede said:
Putt-Putt said:
Except for having a hammer, is there actually anything that Paper Mario can do that Mario himself can't?
Mario even has a hammer in the M&L games, and he started life as a carpenter. The only thing Paper Mario has going for him is the fact that he's paper and can fold himself...but in Smash he would get miserably soaked by Mario's down special because of that.
Badges, items, Star Power, flipping (Flip), folding (Black_Chest_Demon), Spin Jump (read: Ground Pound), Spring Jump, Spin Dash, Tornado Jump, and Superguard
Even with the hammer, there's more to it than just MARIO SMASH. There's the Quake Hammer, the Spin Hammer, Piercing Blow (pierces defenses), Fire Drive, Head Rattle (dizzy), Hammer Throw (Hammer Throw (badge)), and Ice Smash.
Other attack badges are Zap Tap, which hurts direct attackers, and the Shrink Stomp, Sleepy Stomp, and Soft Stomp.

You can't just discount all this. There's so much variety to Paper Mario that would make him distinct as a fighter. And Paper Mario has gone in the water before without harm (The Tile Pool).

Pull some moves from Color Splash or something, idk.

Make the Final Smash the fan or something. That'd be cool. I guess I'll even make some specials.

Neutral Special: Slaphammer. Paper Mario charges a spinning hammer attack.
Side Special: Shell toss. Paper Mario kicks a shell forward, and he can even hold it in place until side b is pressed once more.
Up Special: Parakarry. The Paratroopa lifts Paper Mario up to recover. If done again while recovering, Parakarry will charge into the nearest enemy provided they're at a certain short distance.
Down Special: folds himseld into any paper transformation of choice, hold down to select your transformation. While selecting in midair, Paper Mario isn't affected by gravity, but in turn is exposed to enemy attacks.

Final Smash: Fan Thing. The fan blows wind, Star KO-ing any enemy that gets blown by it. It is however a bit hard to aim at opponents.

Smash attacks are all Hammers, and paint is even added when the attack is fully charged. Pressing shield makes the mouse cursor from Super Paper Mario appear around Paper Mario and dodging flips him briefly. Go creative with the aerials and tilts, I think this is enough to show you that he can be a unique and fun character.

I don't really care that Paper Mario is going to have a unique moveset or not.

He's going to be yet another Mario in a series that already has plenty of Mario characters to work with, in a series that already has Mario in a lab coat as a separate playable character. That hardly screams interesting to me. The Links are somewhat excusable because they are technically different incarnations of Link but however, Paper Mario is literally just Mario but in 2D (besides, three Links aren't all that well-received either). It's like asking 8-bit Mario or Mario driving a go-kart to be a playable. Yes you can make unique movesets out of them, but my biggest problem is aesthetic variety (which is often downplayed when it comes to interesting characters) and Paper Mario simply fails that.

Wasn't exactly asking for him either, but I just said I'd be happy with his inclusion and proving he wouldn't be as muh as a clone as people say. That's all.

Baby Luigi said:
He's going to be yet another Mario in a series that already has plenty of Mario characters to work with, in a series that already has Mario in a lab coat as a separate playable character.
Baby Mario is fine because special pleading I guess.

Your argument is inconsistent. I don't understand how you can denounce Paper Mario but be completely supportive of Baby Mario within a few posts of each other.

Yes, it's special pleading, because that's a person's opinion on a video game character who has been a separate playable character from Mario in many various spin-off appearances. Honestly, I couldn't give a rat's ass about Mario himself and I view Baby Mario distinct enough from Mario for me to distinguish the two (because he has a different design, different voice, different personality, etc stuff that actually makes me favor him over Paper Mario.)

In addition, I didn't say anything against Young Link, Toon Link, and Pichu because I also personally like them and would want them to appear in future games because I also feel like they're more distinct to me than Paper Mario is to Mario.

I'm not budging from my point when I say that Paper Mario is a boring choice because he's Mario, because I think Mario is a boring character, Baby Mario is distinct enough to me to not consider him boring and having yet another Mario is...yeah just another boring character.

I don't think you really need any reasoning, you can just straight up and say you don't like it when Mario has a mustache.

I was perfectly fine explaining exactly my honest subjective thoughts on Paper Mario and if you see it as hypocritical, then frankly just get over yourself because that's only an opinion that you're looking way too deeply into.

You're entitled to an opinion but I am also entitled to have to point out that it's built on faulty reasoning ("aesthetic variety"? is Paper Mario seriously not aesthetically varied?) and special pleading (the argument about Baby Mario having a "unique design" applies to Paper Mario; Baby Mario's voice is practically Mario's but higher pitched; "different personality"? eh, Baby Mario is literally Mario as a baby as how Paper Mario is literally Mario as paper). Whatever, you can be dismissive of what I say but your argument remains open to my objections to logical inconsistency as much as anyone else who wants, like, Waluigi playable and not Daisy.

I don't see the point of rationalizing why you like Baby Mario when Paper Mario is not okay.

You might as well just say "I prefer Baby Mario over Paper Mario", it'll make for a more reasonable argument.

You know, it's perfectly clear that I won't budge from my point of view, so just drop it.

Putt-Putt said:
I'd rather have Mallow over Geno, he's an actual character that got development rather then "I'm Mr. Star Warrior and we need to save to the Star Road".
There's only room for one frog in smash bros.

Honoka's #5 Fan said:
Putt-Putt said:
There's only room for one frog in smash bros.

I thought there are two frogs now? Greninja is one, but Ivysaur is another Pokemon that resembles a frog.

Thank you for reading.

Back