Unpopular opinions about the Super Smash Bros series.

kekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekek

LeftyGreenMario said:
SuperDoom said:
THEY REMOVED THE GOD**** MEMES FROM HIS CHARACTER
You act like that's a bad thing
Well, I mean, it is.
LeftyGreenMario said:
Subspace Emissary is pretty rubbish and not only long, but way too long.
Too long? Who ever heard of a game that's too long?
LeftyGreenMario said:
I can't tell what's worse, though, that or a glorified Spirit Board.
FTFY
LeftyGreenMario said:
Nowadays, people talk about the Subspace Emissary and how amazing it is,
Because it is.
LeftyGreenMario said:
but in my opinion, it's so dreary from the rubbish gameplay,
I'm guessing you don't like Smash Tour?
LeftyGreenMario said:
painfully generic enemies,
Clouds, eyeballs, Pokéballs, ROBs, and rips in the space-time continuum are generic?
LeftyGreenMario said:
okay music,
LeftyGreenMario said:
Mario getting killed way too many unnecessary times,
Have you ever played Lost Levels?
LeftyGreenMario said:
the plot choosing abc gum Kirby and his friends to be the freaking savior of everything (same as in World of Light, old habits never seem to die),
Sakurai can't love his own child.
LeftyGreenMario said:
forced to use characters you don't care about,
Expand your palette.
LeftyGreenMario said:
painfully generic and forgettable levels,
Because 2D Mario is so much better in that regard.
LeftyGreenMario said:
and the Great Maze just sucks
Do you know about Ganon's Tower from Ocarina of Time?
LeftyGreenMario said:
Language.
LeftyGreenMario said:
but I guess you can use your favorite character at that point.
Yup.
LeftyGreenMario said:
World of Light gets a small edge but only if you really like Mario or Kirby or some other characters that appear super early. Kinda screwed if you like Luigi.
I feel ya. I planned on maining Ridley until PP came out and only got half a month of playing as the dragon.
LeftyGreenMario said:
One improvement of World of Light can possibly be you choose one character that gets plot armor (rather than Kirby getting three layers of plot armor and contrivance) and use that character to save everyone. Wouldn't make World of Light less repetitive and boring, but hey, at least you can suffer together with your main and get to spend some quality time together.
But there's only one platforming stage.
BUT HEY, THAT'S JUST MY OWN OPINION. PLEASE DON'T JUDGE ME BASED ON NOTHING MORE THAN IT.

King Dedede has ass aerial capability.

Re: let me think about that

LeftyGreenMario said:
Subspace Emissary is pretty rubbish and not only long, but way too long. I can't tell what's worse, though, that or World of Light. Nowadays, people talk about the Subspace Emissary and how amazing it is, but in my opinion, it's so dreary from the rubbish gameplay, painfully generic enemies, okay music, Mario getting killed way too many unnecessary times, the plot choosing abc gum Kirby and his friends to be the freaking savior of everything (same as in World of Light, old habits never seem to die),
forced to use characters you don't care about, painfully generic and forgettable levels, and the Great Maze just sucks ass but I guess you can use your favorite character at that point.

Ironically, if you choose to play as Mario during the Mario vs. Kirby match, AND save Zelda from Petey Piranha, Mario would only be turned into a trophy up to two times.

Marchionne Evangelisti said:
King Dedede has ass aerial capability.
That's not unpopular opinion. That's fact. He's not mobile in the air (probably the worst aerial horizontal movement in the game) and his okay frame data doesn't accommodate for it. Dedede wishes he has his d-air from Brawl, but guess he'll live without it, even if he's still one of the lousiest 1v1 characters in Smash 4.

MnSG said:
Ironically, if you choose to play as Mario during the Mario vs. Kirby match, AND save Zelda from Petey Piranha, Mario would only be turned into a trophy up to two times.
That's exactly what I did, but I'm still salty this guy plays a background role overall.

Super Doom said:
BUT HEY, THAT'S JUST MY OWN OPINION. PLEASE DON'T JUDGE ME BASED ON NOTHING MORE THAN IT.
Free speech, and no, I don't judge you. I'm entitled to disagree with your opinions as you are entitled to express them, and I'm also entitled to point out that you're pretty rude in response to my post.

I just have a hard time playing as characters who can't move in the air.

Which means it also applies to Kirby.

I find myself in the air a lot more than I should. For that, my character needs to have good horizontal and vertical coverage. Reason why I can't stay with Piranha Plant, his jump just don't cut it that high, and Dedede/Kirby are so slow horizontally. Characters like Ike, Lucario, or Palutena have some method of quickly getting around in that direction, like Ike's side b, and Lucario's and Palutena's Up bs.

Funny considering I used to rely on Smash attacks.

Have you tried Jigglypuff? She almost exclusively relies on her air game. Wario is also another character that has a great air game.

I've seen in some videos that Sonic can be overpowered if you're really good at using his aerials. Well he is one of my mains, and I think I should use aerials more.

Shy Guy on Wheels said:
Have you tried Jigglypuff? She almost exclusively relies on her air game. Wario is also another character that has a great air game.

Yes.

And she's good. Very good. Not very fun to use, but she's very good.

And Wario is just a god in the air. Sadly I find his specials kinda lacking.

I'm assuming that this is for Ultimate, because last I've checked, Smash 3DS / Wii U Jigglypuff is just flat out bad, no matter how good its air speed is.

Who knows how good she is, I don't play competitively, I don't evaluate characters objectively. Merely subjectively.

But you know she might be good in the eyes of the pros anyway. Idk.

The meta for Ultimate still hasn't developed yet, so no-one besides Little Mac is definitely good or bad (Little Mac is considered the worst character in the game).

And how "good" characters are is just evaluated on matchup spread from the results of 1v1 matches, and on hyper competitive play. Don't take the tier list all that seriously unless you plan on being a professional, but take in character strengths, flaws, and look at their matchups, all assuming you go 1v1 in the first place. And not online because online is unreliable to get good at the game, thanks to input delays.

i judge characters by how good i do with them in rando matches online and how much i like said character as a character

Ness has a great aerial game so if you're prone to jumping around, he's a great pick for that.

Baby Luigi said:
Ness has a great aerial game so if you're prone to jumping around, he's a great pick for that.

I've gotten better at the recovery now. I might start using him again.

As for tier lists... I've never really taken them seriously. A character will be viable if you play them in a way that overwhelms your opponent. It also depends on your skill. Besides, I really don't want to main people just because they're on a high tier.

I mean I even say Little Mac is good, no matter how much his aerials suck... his aerial speed is still ok, and he hits heavy. It's true that he doesn't have a good recovery, but it's really not a factor that changes everything.

And this is coming from me, and my little brother mains him and reigns terror above me with him.

I just don't like tier lists in general.

People are way too obsessed about tier lists, even I'm sucked in. It's way too easy to blame your loss on the character quality than your skill or mispredictions.

Dream Stone Spirit said:
Melee tier list is a perfect example of that. Kirby's ranked dead last despite the Melee competitive scene agreeing near-unanimously that Pichu deserves that spot.

One could argue that Melee Bowser is far worse than Melee Kirby and Melee Pichu, seeing as he is a big target, and has more bad match-ups than either of them. Of course, some of Bowser's bad match-ups are worse for Pichu.

Tier lists aren't made by "biased" fans. They're made by people taking a look at usage and tournament results. And arguably, I think Melee Kirby IS worse than Pichu. Pichu at least has some strong attacks, is fast, and can make use of its air game. Kirby doesn't have that. Kirby has two throws that can be escaped out of. Kirby has abysmal air speed that makes him off-stage bait, despite his number of jumps. And it has one of the most useless moves in the game: his side neutral B aerial, which has practically no utility. His smash attacks have large sour spots and very tiny sweet spots. I say one of the only redeeming qualities Kirby has are his up aerial, up title, and back air, and that's virtually it.

Melee Bowser is also pretty abysmal too.

Tier lists for the most part won't apply to any of us unless of course you are trying to play in higher levels. Bad matchups are more important to your character than the placement on the tier list. But it's simply a fact that yes the game won't be perfectly balanced and hence why some characters would just perform better under others in tightly controlled environments like the tourney scene.

SuperDoom said:
[newspaper headline]BUT HEY, THAT'S JUST MY OWN OPINION. PLEASE DON'T JUDGE ME BASED ON NOTHING MORE THAN IT.[/newspaper headline]
OK but can I judge you based on your usage of giant-ass text that not even a stormtrooper could miss?

I like Brawl, might be my favorite too but Ultimate's giving it a run for its money. Brawl definitely has the best single-player content though

Back