Unpopular opinions about the Super Smash Bros series.

I honestly prefer the current version. I don't know what's unpopular though. I have seen lots of people who like the old one more, but what do I know.

I have to agree with Princess Mario.
Granted, Melee's is helped by Melee's sound direction in general being amazing, but the rock just doesn't work with the theme, I feel.
I also feel that it somehow sounds worse in-game rather than listening to it on its own.

To call it "rock" is generous. It's just a bunch of random midi instruments that don't fit with each other.

Maybe they should add an option to change victory themes from each game. For example, when you create a name, you have the option to make the victory theme Melee or Brawl and etc.

Maybe even put more effort into it! Maybe each character can have the victory themes from other Smash games and a custom victory theme from their own franchises.

ThatGuy62 said:
I have to agree with Princess Mario.
[youtube]
[youtube]
Granted, Melee's is helped by Melee's sound direction in general being amazing, but the rock just doesn't work with the theme, I feel.
I also feel that it somehow sounds worse in-game rather than listening to it on its own.
Perhaps a better solution is to have the tune of Brawl's with instrumentation like Melee's. That should fit better than either of the old ones.

saltypepper said:
Maybe they should add an option to change victory themes from each game. For example, when you create a name, you have the option to make the victory theme Melee or Brawl and etc.

Maybe even put more effort into it! Maybe each character can have the victory themes from other Smash games and a custom victory theme from their own franchises.
I get the idea that more customization is always good, but there comes a point where it just seems unnecessary. I guess that's why LGM wants it to be moddable, so you can put it in little things that are unnecessary for the base game.

"Unnecessary" is subjective.

True, but imo really specific aesthetic stuff like saltypepper's idea is not worth putting in for the developers since it's a very minor aesthetic feature that a relatively small number of people want. It's better suited for mods, especially since different people are gonna want different minor aesthetic changes, and you can't really satisfy all of them.

Just make mod support official, then. Have an official website dedicated to this stuff. Bam, shelf life for Smash Ultimate extended, with more potential customers playing the game longer.

when it comes to nintendo they might as well just put a sign that says, "please pirate our games and it's not like our online is worth a damn, I mean a dime"

I'd love official mod support, but I'm wondering if Nintendo doesn't do it because they don't want to be held accountable for copyrighted content from other companies being used in mods uploaded to their server.

Ehhhh I don't see anything similar happening to official support for mods (Left 4 Dead 2 and Civilization V both have section pertaining right in their freaking main menu) so that's not an issue. It's more Nintendo doesn't want to do it because they're twats.

Princess Mario said:
Ehhhh I don't see anything similar happening to official support for mods (Left 4 Dead 2 and Civilization V both have section pertaining right in their freaking main menu) so that's not an issue. It's more Nintendo doesn't want to do it because they're twats.
I think it's moreso that Nintendo isn't Valve and they probably don't expect people to make mods on PC and then load them onto their consoles (especially if it involves taking advantage of exploits).

I wonder how well would paid mods be supported, similar to what Bethesda did at one time where fans get the opportunity to get paid. It would very likely be met with furore because there wasn't any precedence for this. Then again, mods are not all that common on console games so such an idea is unthinkable.

Even though I have already cooled down on the subject, I feel that Smash didn't feel complete until Waluigi is a playable character despite the fact that Ultimate is already looking to be jam-packed with content.

Thank you for reading.

ThatGuy62 said:
I think it's moreso that Nintendo isn't Valve and they probably don't expect people to make mods on PC and then load them onto their consoles (especially if it involves taking advantage of exploits).
that's true, I suppose. I plead ignorance, but isn't it possible to load cheats on a console? I suppose it would be similar to file replacement in that aspect.

Princess Mario said:
ThatGuy62 said:
that's true, I suppose. I plead ignorance, but isn't it possible to load cheats on a console? I suppose it would be similar to file replacement in that aspect.
I can't speak much for it either. I suppose it's possible but you'd need a devoted server for them or something. As Winstein points out, Bethesda does it, but I don't know too many others that do (does Rockstar do it?).

Rockstar showcased mods on their official blog iirc. Don't think they have an official site for that stuff, though.

Brawl WAS about to have these, actually. If you check models resource, there are unused models that are pretty much that. They don't seem very good poses on their own, though.

Someone did a rubbish job with the UVs. Here's the version with the UVs not being awful.

tumblr_okiqq25xCf1rrftcdo1_640.jpg

But man, the hips. It looks like he dislocated them.

People reasoning that characters "deserve" more due to relevance and sales figures annoy me for a few reasons.

If we were to go for only characters that make Nintendo money, we wouldn't have popular characters like the Ice Climbers or Ike and the roster would be too predictable, part of the stuff that makes Smash fun is being so crazy that it's hard to predict how it will be like 100%, I'm not avocateing the game to be made out of nothing but total nobodies either, a fun mix brings balance and fun to the game

It's just pretentious, the word "deserves" in the context of Smash annoys me too, you're making something out to be more important than it actually is and it makes you look like you have a huge ego.

Also, these are the people who go after specifically the characters from 3DS games when bashing Fire Emblem for being not important and not selling well, yeah, the game who sales saved the series and brought into the mainstream totally did not sell well because you did not hear about it yourself. Guess what, I didn't see James Camron Avatar but that doesn't mean it didn't make a s***load of money

Just keep it to "I like this character" "I like the game they're from" or "I think they'll be interesting." that's all the reason you need.

The idea of any character deserving to be in Smash annoys me.
No character inherently deserves to be in smash bros.

For me "deserving" is a tricky word because it would rely on a number of factors, but people don't really take those factors into account when thinking of the characters. It doesn't help that we can only guess at what Sakurai criteria for fighters is outside of "I need to visualize how that character moves while retaining their essence".

It's basically up to whoever Sakurai wants in the end, as he gets the final say.

Back