Unpopular opinions about the Super Smash Bros series.

The Waluigi for Smash meme is worse than Arrow To a Knee

Mewta said:
The Waluigi for Smash meme is worse than Arrow To a Knee

Why is that? I never thought it was that bad, despite the outburst at one time when Waluigi was shown as an Assist Trophy (again).

Princess Mario said:
C'mon, Mario Party 9 minigame compilations are the most viewed Mario-related videos on Youtube. SO. That means Mario Party should be repped to death in Smash. I want a Mario Party stage goddammit. Smash Tour is NOT what I wanted.

The funny thing about the Mario Party 9 video is, if I remember the author's comments correctly, the author of the video used the Youtube splice function to put the individual Mario Party minigame videos into one long video, and that inflated the view count. Because of its unusually high view count, the video ended up maintaining momentum due to this, and it's unlikely to be rivaled as the most viewed Mario video anytime soon.

Thank you for reading.

Lucario said:
The thing is, Mario is the most popular Nintendo franchise. It's normal for it to get that many reps.

Whereas, some series are underrepresented, like Zelda (outside of the amount of Links), Kirby and Donkey Kong, and then you have Fire Emblem with 7 reps. Not that I mind it, mind you, but that is why people complain about that.

But Pokemon actually has the most playable reps, if we count Squirtle, Ivysaur and Zard individually. And the series is even more represented with all the Pokeball Pokemon.
Czario said:
Ninja'd by Koops but w/e

That's because Mario is Nintendo's #1 series so it follows for it have a lot. The FE series is now on the level of Pokemon (if you count PKMN Trainer as one character instead of three) even though it's nowhere near as important as Pokemon. It also has more than Zelda despite that series being more important as well. Therefore, it's understandable that they'd complain about FE but not Mario. I don't mind it too much myself, though.
Well, this is embarrassing...in a Mario forum.

I feel that the Zelda series needs more reps.

winstein said:
I think Mario Party deserves more representation in Smash. That series is popular, and for that amount of popularity, it never got a stage, character representation and its choice of music tracks is severely lacking. I guess Mario Party is largely ignored by the crowd that plays Smash regularly since one is a very casual game while the other is usually taken over by the more hardcore players (much like how Mario is popular but there is a surprisingly sparse online community for Mario), but that series is iconic to party games, and much like Mario Kart, it managed to influence other properties to have party games such as Pac-man, Mickey Mouse and even Sonic.

Note that there are less popular Mario spin-offs that got well-represented in Smash Bros., including Paper Mario, Mario Sports (not as much as the other two, but still better than Mario Party) and even Dr. Mario. If Mario Kart, a more popular Mario spin-off, get its representation due, then Mario Party should too.

Thank you for reading.
I can think of a stage from the Mario Party series. Booksquirm would fit as a Smash stage.

Mario Party music would be a nice addition.

Princess Mario said:
C'mon, Mario Party 9 minigame compilations are the most viewed Mario-related videos on Youtube.
Actually, a majority of the most viewed Mario related videos are just awful parodies.

Off topic, but the most viewed walkthrough video on YouTube is a NSMB walkthrough video.

Just thought I'd say that.

I was under impression that Mario Party 9 - All Mini-Games by NintendoMovie is among the most viewed Mario video on Youtube, having 124 million views at the time of the post, which is no small feat. If you find clickbait Mario stuff with more, feel free to point out, but don't mention the title because I'd rather not promote curiosity especially for bad content.

Why not a stage that collides worlds that isn't stage morph? We can have the MSS Sea Star running over the Pirate Ship.

Not sure this is intentional (knowing you it might be), but the way you worded that made me picture the MSS Sea Star literally ramming and capsizing the Pirate Ship, while coming out completely unscathed.

Have stages literally interact with each other.

Not gonna lie, sounds like something I'd turn on for kicks.

Given most of Ultimate's massive roster has to be unlocked, I kinda wish that it would let you unlock 1 character of your choice at the start.

I know that Smash Ultimate is going to have you constantly unlock fighters, but yeah, if we could enable something like "Tournament Ruleset" where it could be only 3 stocks no items, but you could have every character playable that would be nice.

I would still like the concept of still unlocking fighters, preferably outside of the "Tournament Ruleset" thingamajig.

I just want an L R A Up Down Start, unlock all characters, and have the whole thing done with, but if people want to bite the bullet, then let them too.

Weasel said:
Given most of Ultimate's massive roster has to be unlocked, I kinda wish that it would let you unlock 1 character of your choice at the start.

Ooh. Yeah. Could take a while to unlock your main.

Oh god if they make us unlock them in order of appearance, then that means they're gonna make me unlock 32 until I get to the one I want.

Well it better be fun. And I have no doubt about that.

An unpopular opinion of mine: Mario should always be a top tier character, or at least on the decently usable side of the scale. Going by the professional players' tier lists, this is why Smash 4 is great in that regard (64 and Melee are good too) and Brawl not so much.

Anyway, unlocking characters have been a real pain in Melee, because there are a number of characters where normal conditions require a lot of time. I am referring to Mewtwo, who had to be unlocked by playing a long time, which makes the alternative condition (play # of VS matches) take less time. Mr. Game & Watch requires every other character to be unlocked, including Mewtwo! At least Smash 4's VS matches take way less time to unlock every character, which I appreciate.

Princess Mario said:
I just want an L R A Up Down Start, unlock all characters, and have the whole thing done with, but if people want to bite the bullet, then let them too.

I like how Puyo Puyo (in the more modern games) handled this, since this game series have characters/modes that need to be unlocked, and one secret code needs to be entered to unlock them all. As long as the code is entered, the party can get started straight away.

Thank you for reading.

winstein said:
An unpopular opinion of mine: Mario should always be a top tier character, or at least on the decently usable side of the scale. Going by the professional players' tier lists, this is why Smash 4 is great in that regard (64 and Melee are good too) and Brawl not so much.

Thank you for reading.
Me over the Mario nerfs

eQEXMi4.png

sure you can remove his d-throw u-tilt, but why did they fucking touch his d-tilt and u-air.... and his forward throw (his most useless throw) for some reason

I hope Mario doesn't become any way like in Brawl, and I do hope other characters like Zelda and Ganondorf actually become competent characters for once rather than languish in the bottom like that.

I don't want Sans because Undertale is "overexposed" or whatever, but having played the game, his character is specifically of one that doesn't want to fight unless he needs to.

I would prefer Undyne but I really don't think anyone from that game is going to make it at all.

I'm not totally sure why, but I kind of dislike it when a character receives a victory theme that's different than the rest of their series. Maybe it's because them having a different one makes them lose the feeling of being with that series, or because it singles them out over other characters.

I understand that, but I think everyone should just have a unique victory theme.

The fact that Meta Knight gets his own victory theme while Dedede, the guy who has his own recurring theme song, doesn't is sickening to me.

ThatGuy62 said:
The fact that Meta Knight gets his own victory theme while Dedede, the guy who has his own recurring theme song, doesn't is sickening to me.

To be fair, Meta Knight's is just the same theme with different instruments, so it ain't that much of a big deal. Same goes with Bowser.

Also I like the Pokemon victory theme, but in the beginning, it starts out way to similar to the Zelda one.

Just a minor nitpick of mine.

They really need to revert Ness and Lucas's victory theme to Melee's version.

Could you elaborate on that? The Melee one may sound better, but it was kinda specific to Mother 2. Then again, the current one is from only Mother 1, but it's from the title screen of Mother 1, which sort of makes more sense for representing the series as a whole. It seems the request to go back to the Melee one is common, but I'm not sure why (as for myself, I could go either way).

For me, the instrumentation just sounds better.

Back