Yoshi's New Island

Re: Yoshi's Island 3DS

Having Baby Luigi kidnapped again means that Artoon can't find a fresh story.

Also, Year of the Luigi. YEAR OF THE "LUIGI".

I'm going to slap someone at Nintendo.

Dracomon said:
Maybe there's this fine print that says "except for Baby Luigi".

and Daisy, and Waluigi, and anything Luigi-related that isn't Luigi himself

Obviously I am still going to get this game, but I admit that it looks like Artoon may have *bleep* the bed worse than DS so far. It's hard to fuck up a story in Mario since story barely matters, but this qualifies as one. Additionally, the method for unlocking the secret levels also sounds confusingly bad.

I did like mine cart Yoshi that I saw in the latest trailer. If there's still good level design here (and I did think there was in lategame YIDS levels, but maybe I just love all hard to 100 YI levels), I'll still enjoy the game.

Yoshi's Island DS is an okay game. Its soundtrack barely qualifies as one, and its collection aspect sucks. The soundtrack really does get in the way of this game, where it kind of removes the atmosphere from the dungeons and the quality of normal boss fights.

I don't have high expectations for this game. Arzet, the new Artoon, similar people who brought you brilliant masterpieces including Yoshi Topsy-Turvy and Yoshi Touch & Go.

Hypochondriac Mario said:
I don't have high expectations for this game. Arzet, the new Artoon, similar people who brought you brilliant masterpieces including Yoshi Topsy-Turvy and

Flingsmash and Vampire Rain. Also, Touch & Go was by EAD actually.

It still boggles me that out of all the talented 2D-focused studios that would likely jump at the chance to make a sequel to YI, Artoon's the one to get hired thrice in a row. When Miyamoto said the company wasn't satisfied by some of their third-party collaborations, I thought it was obviously referring to things like the F-Zero games developed by Climax or Suzak's Master of Disguise, all equivalent to Artoon's productions in quality. So why do Artoon get a pass among the D-list shithouses? I guess YIDS must've sold very well.

Actually, Yoshi's Island DS is one of those cases where reviewers liked the game more than the fans who played it.

It has a ---ing 81 Metacritic average from 42 reviews.

I guess Artoon/Arzet is, "Oh, look, former Sega employees! They must be good/I feel pity for them. Let's make them make games!"

Either that, or the name "Artoon" probably makes Nintendo think "perfect for Yoshi games!"

If they bleeped the story that badly, especially in a Mario game, I shudder to think of the gameplay

I mean, Galaxy 2's story was bad enough, but this!? I think it's one of the worst stories in Mario history. I mean, sure, some stories are cheesy (Mario Party series, but in a good way), others are good (Mario RPGs), some are nonsensical and ugh (some other Mario spin-offs, I believe? and Galaxy 2) but none are plain out terribad.

Glowsquid said:
I don't have high expectations for this game. Arzet, the new Artoon, similar people who brought you brilliant masterpieces including Yoshi Topsy-Turvy and

Flingsmash and Vampire Rain. Also, Touch & Go was by EAD actually.
Ooops, I guess I'm mixing up two mediocre Yoshi games and attributing them to Arzet. Oh noes. Also, how can I forget these two wonderful legendary games?

No really, with a portfolio like that, I don't trust Arzet to develop my Nintendo games. My expectations were sort-of met with their horrible, uncalled for retcon.

Glowsquid said:
I thought it was obviously referring to things like [...] Suzak's Master of Disguise

Hey, whoa, I actually like Master of Disguise. It wasn't the best, but it wasn't the shitfest that was Yoshi's Island DS.

Poochy is in.

http://www.mariowiki.com/index.php?title=Yoshi%27s_New_Island&diff=1625214&oldid=1624916

Arzet, the new Artoon, similar people who brought you brilliant masterpieces including Yoshi Topsy-Turvy[...]
Glowsquid said:
Flingsmash and Vampire Rain.

personally i kinda want the game, i mean at least they're trying something new with it.

I just hope they can make it even half as good as yoshis island or yoshi story.

Fighter Zae said:
personally i kinda want the game, i mean at least they're trying something new with it.

Yoshi's Island DS wasn't TOO bad. Just... decent, I guess?

Fighter Zae said:

Yoshi's Island DS wasn't TOO bad. Just... decent, I guess?

Well ive never played yoshis island ds, mainly because i heard the ost and was very disgusted at what i heard.

I dont know anything other then that though.

I know, but once you get past that, it's just decent at best. Bad level design is a let down in some parts.

I know, but once you get past that, it's just decent at best. Bad level design is a let down in some parts.

but how bad is the level design?

Some of the level design in yoshis island wasnt too great, like in some extra stages and some levels in world 6.

Hmm...

I guess the multiple baby thing can be really painful. At some parts, you don't know what baby you need (like Baby Mario), and you end up dying (because you don't have Baby Mario's ability to run before the ceiling falls on you).

Back