Mario Kart 8 / Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Honestly, I know it got added, but I want Waluigi Pinball. TBH I want more Waluigi because he's perfect in every way and I love him. Waluigi did nothing wrong and he deserves the very best

Has anyone else noticed the Rival System changed?
I played 50cc Turnip Cup as Mario, and had Baby Peach as a rival instead of Peach.
Then I played 50cc Propeller Cup as Mario, and had Cat Peach as my rival instead of Peach.
Both in Grand Prix to be clear.
FZU16HuVsAEzPwu.jpeg

FZZ-47oUUAEL3Ld.jpeg

Now the question is, is the change exclusive to the Booster Pass cups, or did it implement onto the old cups too?

So this time, on grand prix 100cc Turnip, the rival system was completely bonkers.
While Bowser and a variation of Peach (Pink Gold Peach) are still present, they were not Mario's rivals.
Screenshot 2022-08-06 11.13.38 AM.png

I should clarify, I have never used any mods, whatever is going on is coinciding with Booster Pass.

One theory is my console is gaining consciousness and grew bored of routine, it's only a matter of time till it takes over the world.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-08-06 11.08.32 AM.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-06 11.08.32 AM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 238
I think rivals are hardcoded anyway like vehicle preferences, so you can't change rival order, even with mods.

EDIT: Never mind, they're stored in a file called AIRivalTable.byaml. I guess that might have changed with the update.

Edit: Snippets of each course's soundtrack can be heard in gameplay videos on the Japanese Nintendo site. I got a bit of whiplash from the brass used in Berlin Byways; it's supposed to be violin, Mario Kart Band!!!

Last edited:
Man I didn't even play booster course pack 2 yet lol

Yeah but the shadow dropped item customization that is probably the best post launch content for me no kidding

There is a bit of a bug with the Custom Items option though. Whenever a Spiny Shell is thrown, its icon does not appear on the minimap when playing with a customized item setup.

There is a bit of a bug with the Custom Items option though. Whenever a Spiny Shell is thrown, its icon does not appear on the minimap when playing with a customized item setup.
They probably did that to not have a constant stream of Spiny Shell icons and bog the framerate (maybe)

but still blue shell only is fucking glorious

Lately I've been thinking about what Wave 4 could offer us.

Fruit Cup
  • Tour Amsterdam Drift
  • GCN Daisy Cruiser
  • 3DS Wario Shipyard
  • DS Airship Fortress
Boomerang Cup
  • Tour Vancouver Velocity
  • GBA Bowser Castle 1
  • GCN Waluigi Stadium
  • A new original course

uber mega fun fact

prior to the update that added support for Wave 3, it was discovered (twitter.com) that Mario, Peach, and all of their variants (not counting their baby counterparts, in any case) no longer appeared as CPU rivals; this has since been reverted. since drivers who are selected from a sub-list, such as female Villager, the non-green Yoshis, and some Inklings, never appear as rivals, we can take this untimely removal to be a clue (twitter.com) that the devs are experimenting with integrating clone characters into their respective original character's slot in order to free up some space on the driver list.

yep. that means new characters might be coming. and, since the sublists should already be there for Mario and Peach, who's to say we aren't looking at additional costumes for existing characters, too?

Four variants were removed from the rival list, namely Tanooki Mario, Cat Peach, Metal Mario, and Gold Peach. with four new empty slots, and if what i said above ends up being true, we can expect 4 new characters to be added. place your bets!

diddy kong, funky kong, pauline, birdo

Last edited:
That's probably asking for too much, and frankly, the rivalry system is only used in Grand Prix anyway.

Now that I think about it, if Nintendo had the decency to give us a custom items feature, then it should also give us the ability to modify the CPU racers as well; the characters and vehicle parts anyway. As things stand right now, we can't do anything about it, as that's all hardcoded.

why would they make a new mario kart title for the switch when 8 deluxe is still selling

Back