Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

Gonna get a lot of hate
Galaxy 2 is the best mario game, 64 is overrated, and Mario Party is the best gaming franchise

Gonna get a lot of hate
Galaxy 2 is the best mario game, 64 is overrated, and Mario Party is the best gaming franchise

only the galaxy 2 opinion will get you crucified but saying mario party is the best gaming franchise nullifies that

huh, always thought mario galaxy 2 was popualr as its always being praised, i expected the mario 64 opinion to get people mad

I like galaxy 2 a lot but don't see it as the best Mario game. I also find SM64 overrated. My favourite part of the Mario franchise is the RPGs though (but I certainly love Mario party)

From what I've seen mario 64 lives rent free in the minds of the nostalgic 90's kids so while there certainly is a crowd that worships it I think most people who've played it for the first time recently (myself included) or grew up with the DS version don't see it quite the same way

saying galaxy 2 is a good game or possibly even the best mario game is no way an unpopular opinion it scored a 98 on metacritic for pete's sake.

saying galaxy 2 is a good game or possibly even the best mario game is no way an unpopular opinion it scored a 98 on metacritic for pete's sake.
only the galaxy 2 opinion will get you crucified but saying mario party is the best gaming franchise nullifies that
What do you mean; calling Mario Party the best Mario franchise is arguably much more controversial especially starting around 9

What do you mean; calling Mario Party the best Mario franchise is arguably much more controversial especially starting around 9

no it's the citizen kane of gaming

can someone tell me what super secret mode, setting or filter galaxy 2 had that people universally used because all i played was some half-assed galaxy 1 sequel with cobbled half-assed concepts.

calling it Mario Galaxy DLC isn't wrong but I'd still say it's a pretty solid game

It isnt just a few new power ups and its the same game, they added enough for it to count as a sequel, calling it "just more mario galaxy" might be techinally right but from a gameplay (and fun) standpoint its not

just to be clear me framing it the way I did is in no way supposed to show it in a bad light, but yeah I can understand where you're coming from

The level structure and general design philosophy both are essential elements that are distinctly different across both games, to say nothing of the fact that levels themselves are obviously (almost) all completely new. But ultimately it still employs the same core mechanics even keeping certain tweaks here and there in mind. By no means does the game not stand up on its own, and calling it Mario Galaxy DLC may be a phrase I use for comedic exaggeration, but at the end of the day, that's what it is, Mario Galaxy 2 is just more Mario Galaxy. And I love Mario Galaxy so there's absolutely nothing wrong with that

NSMB wii is pretty great

Many people like that game
There are people who dislike it, but that mainly stems from the fact it is often seen in conjunction with the later, 'repetitive' entries. I believe NSMBW is the least derivative NSMB game in the series if compared to its successors (new soundtrack, three new power-ups, the Koopalings, which at the time had been absent from the series for a long time etc). I feel some levels are a bit on the 'empty' side. Perhaps that is due to the fact they were designed for four players, but if so, I think NSMBU did that better.

The level design is still superior to NSMBD tho

There has never been a good Mario Party. They are all terrible.

It's just a fun terrible to play with friends as you can all laugh at it's terribleness.

It's just a fun terrible to play with friends as you can all laugh at it's terribleness.

the games may lack any substance but i think their dumb fun, its an enjoyable time with friends and I have a lot of memories of staying up late to play 8 with my buds. I might love the series because of nostalgia, but you have to admit theres a certain charm to the games

Mario Party is generally expertly designed to piss off the unlucky player(s). Not sure if that's a good or bad thing, though.

You obviously haven't played *insert Mario Party game I like*

I always understood Mario Sunshine's King Boo as not the real thing, but rather a 'fake' King Boo made out goop - which goes to explain his unusual appearance, and why this design was so unique. Sunshine design could be used as an alt for Mario Kart Tour though.
Much prefer Sunshine King Boo to LM King Boo I'd main that drunk bafoon, but having all three would be wonderful.

I prefer the fan names for Blue Toad and Yellow Toad as Yvan and Wolley respectively, as opposed to the more popular Bucken-Berry and Ala-Gold respectively. Not only do I learn of the former names first (through IGN), but they are also short and sweet like most Mario character names, compared to the rather long latter names.

Thank you for reading.

Back