Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

Ignazio Salvaggi

🔥Feel that heat wave? You’re on fire, baby!🔥
Wiki Patroller
Pronouns
she/her
MarioWiki
Bazooka Mario
Well, because it's a course of mostly long straightaways and not too many interesting turns to make. The Chain Chomp is like the only thing that mixes things up somewhat. Also, it feels like a bunch of assets from Mario Circuit GCN strung together, as both tracks feature a chain chomp and both tracks have Goombas at the end, so there's a lot of deja vu and feels like they added a Mario Circuit for que and not really because they needed it.

It's a lot more fun in faster hacked speeds like 200cc, granted, and even faster, but it's kind of insufferable in anything slower. It suffers from similar problems as Figure 8 Circuit for having dreary straightaways. The roads aren't as wide as in Figure 8, but eh.

By the way I do enjoy Toad Circuit even though people seem to dislike it.

Luigi Circuit from the GCN games is good too. It DOES have a long straightaway but in 100cc and higher, that wall in the middle is removed, the track width is narrowed, and it's a lot more chaotic.

On a side note, Mario Circuit GCN in Double Dash is absolute unforgiving HELL on Bowser Shells only and if you enable Bowser Shells to bounce forever and enable many many Bowser Shells to be deployed on the field. It's way worse than any single Rainbow Road can hope to be. The only tracks that are potentially worse are tracks also by Mario and his brother: Luigi Circuit and Baby Park.

Ignazio Salvaggi

🔥Feel that heat wave? You’re on fire, baby!🔥
Wiki Patroller
Pronouns
she/her
MarioWiki
Bazooka Mario
I don't find the ending of Super Mario Bros.: Peach-hime Kyushutsu Dai Sakusen! to be THAT terrible on rewatch. I felt genuine sadness and general downer seeing Mario so crushed but at the same time, he accepts it with a "your happiness is my happiness" which I admit I was moved. Also, Mario's promise to find the other necklace and return it to Peach to fulfill her desires; he actually did manage to return the necklace by bringing that dog along though it was certainly not an ending he'd expect but imo he must've felt euphoric for doing such a good deed but so mortified someone else stood in for him. What a sacrifice.

Someone commented that Mario has a nice foil to Bowser's approach to Peach; while Bowser was not taking Peach's no for an answer, Mario was able to accept Peach's choices to be with the prince. And let's face it, Peach and Haru are from the same universe, not Mario, a bit of a foreigner. It's hard to get mad at the situation and I don't think I still 100% understand the anger at this.

It's such a bittersweet thing overall, but I sort of like it. Might be a dumb children's plot twist to some people, but since it's Mario and co involved, well, feels more touching to me.

Last edited:

winstein

Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
MarioWiki
winstein
I think Kamek should be the final boss in a Yoshi game.

It's something I have never dwell on, but after seeing what Yoshi's Crafted World did for Kamek as a bonus boss, I think it's a fantastic idea that Kamek should show who the real boss is, since he is the one that masterminds the threats for Yoshi so much but still ultimately takes a backseat to Baby Bowser or Bowser. This game makes Kamek out to be the ultimate boss because it's the last one you reach, and it's exceedingly difficult even if you use Mellow Mode because obtaining two of the flowers require little to no room for error.

Thank you for reading.