Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

I don't find the ending of Super Mario Bros.: Peach-hime Kyushutsu Dai Sakusen! to be THAT terrible on rewatch. I felt genuine sadness and general downer seeing Mario so crushed but at the same time, he accepts it with a "your happiness is my happiness" which I admit I was moved. Also, Mario's promise to find the other necklace and return it to Peach to fulfill her desires; he actually did manage to return the necklace by bringing that dog along though it was certainly not an ending he'd expect but imo he must've felt euphoric for doing such a good deed but so mortified someone else stood in for him. What a sacrifice.

Someone commented that Mario has a nice foil to Bowser's approach to Peach; while Bowser was not taking Peach's no for an answer, Mario was able to accept Peach's choices to be with the prince. And let's face it, Peach and Haru are from the same universe, not Mario, a bit of a foreigner. It's hard to get mad at the situation and I don't think I still 100% understand the anger at this.

It's such a bittersweet thing overall, but I sort of like it. Might be a dumb children's plot twist to some people, but since it's Mario and co involved, well, feels more touching to me.

Last edited:
I think Kamek should be the final boss in a Yoshi game.

It's something I have never dwell on, but after seeing what Yoshi's Crafted World did for Kamek as a bonus boss, I think it's a fantastic idea that Kamek should show who the real boss is, since he is the one that masterminds the threats for Yoshi so much but still ultimately takes a backseat to Baby Bowser or Bowser. This game makes Kamek out to be the ultimate boss because it's the last one you reach, and it's exceedingly difficult even if you use Mellow Mode because obtaining two of the flowers require little to no room for error.

Thank you for reading.

Another hot take: I'm fine if the Mario and Luigi series doesn't comeback as long as we get more Mario + Rabbids.

Attachments

• M+R logo.png
    M+R logo.png
    137.3 KB · Views: 55
Yeah I agree on the general sentiment that Mario should try out some new rpg-style stuff rather than stick to just JRPGs though I think I'd rather have Mario & Luigi or at least Mario tactical shooter crossover with another IP that isn't from Ubisoft or Activision-Blizzard.

Reactions: zel
I feel that, if Mario were to go to the turn-based RPG similar to Super Mario RPG again, I would rather they use the wider established Mario cast like Daisy, Wario, and Waluigi as party members. The games may have been fun, but I think the only pet peeve I have is how the same four characters (Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser) are prominently featured as main characters yet again.

Thank you for reading.

I feel that, if Mario were to go to the turn-based RPG similar to Super Mario RPG again, I would rather they use the wider established Mario cast like Daisy, Wario, and Waluigi as party members. The games may have been fun, but I think the only pet peeve I have is how the same four characters (Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser) are prominently featured as main characters yet again.

Thank you for reading.
I've always wanted a Wario & Waluigi RPG with both similar elements to and different elements from the Mario and Luigi games

I don't mind the autoscroll levels in Mario games. I think they're a necessity for the genre to diversify the levels somewhat. I understand some people don't like the pressure of being unable to stick for a while (or they can't get too far ahead) and also the linearity of these levels.

I mean I still feel like there's probably better ways to diversify level design without having to resort to that. Plus I'd argue autoscrolling levels still contribute to completely disrupting the pace of the game, especially when your own movement is fast.

If you really need to make an autoscrolling level then maybe also don't design it the same way you design a normal level. Have something that requires autoscroll to work properly. Allocate the autoscrolling to a moving platforms maybe. Something like that

I'm kinda in disagreement with both of the last two opinions here; I don't think it's good to only focus on "there has to be a certain type of level in a game" instead of whether the type is good, but I also think autoscrolling levels can provide a fun challenge if effort is taken to make them not broken.

It's a fairly common opinion for fans of WarioWare or Wario Land to wish that the characters appear as part of the larger Mario spin-off roster, but I am of the opposite opinion: I wish some of the larger Mario series character appears personally in WarioWare (or Wario Land) instead, especially Waluigi. In fact, I don't even know why there is even an opposition for Waluigi to appear in a Wario game.

Thank you for reading.

Toadette and Penny should really go in a pigtail death battle.

BirdoloseMP8.png

Since when has this thread became a "I hate x" thread?

Can I join?

I hate hatred.

Hey Francis, they've got the latest issue of 'Hating Everything' magazine here!

It's a fairly common opinion for fans of WarioWare or Wario Land to wish that the characters appear as part of the larger Mario spin-off roster, but I am of the opposite opinion: I wish some of the larger Mario series character appears personally in WarioWare (or Wario Land) instead, especially Waluigi. In fact, I don't even know why there is even an opposition for Waluigi to appear in a Wario game.

Thank you for reading.

yoshi's island ds has better boss fights than the original

Both Galaxy sountracks are really overstated. There's a ton of tracks from the first one. Out of all of them maybe there's only 7 tracks that everyone remembers: Good Egg, Comet Observatory (full only), Battlerock/Space Fantasy, Gusty Garden, Buoy Base, Deep Dark Galaxy, Ghostly Galaxy, Bowser fight? The Bowser track is okay I guess but that's just a redux version of an existing song. The soundtrack is filled with ambient stuff you don't remember once you're done with the level like Dusty Dune Galaxy, Drip Drop Galaxy, Honeyhive, Gateway Galaxy, or just forgettable boss music like Major Burrows, Tarantox, Big Bad Bugaboom (I give you Dino Piranha and Kamella are fair bit memorable but not spectacular music). I guess people were like really blown away by the initial idea of WOW FULL ORCHESTRA. I know there's a lot of great music in the soundtrack but as a whole, people seem to overlook the really forgettable tracks that make up too much of the soundtrack.

The second game is even more inconsistent (who remembers Tall Trunk Galaxy's music or Flip-Swap Galaxy's music or Rightside Down Galaxy's music or the music during Peewee Piranha's fight (Gobblegut's music is just repetitive piano and brass noises, how exciting); it also has a lot of redux tracks) but it has additional problems where there's a lot of tracks where it feels like it tries way too hard to be like the first one that end up being overshadowed. Fluffy Buff Galaxy tries way too hard to be like Gusty Garden with its progression (fanfare at beginning, calm cheery music that progresses a little, goes suuuper calm, then goes into giant fanfare before it loops), it sounds formulaic and fails to stand out on its own. Hell that track gets jumbled with Sky Station. Its extremely derivative feeling is partly why Galaxy 2 I found to be a really forgettable, disappointing game and why it has failed to even be part of the 3D collection.

I mean the good tracks are GREAT and so it's worth listening to those tracks but I really don't think people are missing out on a big chunk of Galaxy's soundtrack.

On the other hand, Mario Strikers Charged it's a smaller game so maybe less filler tracks, but nearly all of its stadiums sound amazing at least (except for Lava Pit, most forgettable track; Galactic Stadium too is eh). Hoops 3 on 3 also has more consistently good soundtrack. Hell even considering orchestrated soundtracks, Mario + Rabbids does that aspect so much better, with having way more orchestrated pieces to enjoy to. Galaxy's novelty of having an orchestrated track (at the time) sometimes is undermined by having MIDI tracks all over the place. I remember listening to Galaxy for mostly the orchestrated tracks and been wishing for more of that and less of that crappy redux of Super Mario Bros. 3's athletic theme or whatever. But I just don't see tracks from those games get talked about to the same degree that Galaxy does.

Of course that's just from my experience and from the limited places I'm part of. Maybe people do sing praises about Mario + Rabbids Grant Kirkthorpe stuff constantly and I'm not aware.

mario sports mix is probably my overall favorite mario soundtrack tbh

Of the King Boo renditions, I would've loved it if the Sunshine's King Boo is used more. Mario Kart's King Boo (the most commonly-used version, in fact) is rather plain, Luigi's Mansion's King Boo is better off in its own series than a wider one.
250px-KingbooSunshine.jpg

I have a certain fondness for how unique this version of King Boo is, with its tongue sticking out and relaxed eyes, which is more or less how the Boos in Super Mario Sunshine are portrayed. This version would serve as a reminder of the unique flavour of Super Mario Sushine, much like how both Petey Piranha and Gooper Blooper celebrate the Sunshine variety of those enemies, instead of going through a redesign to make them closer to the standard versions of the enemies (basically what King Boo is: basically a Boo but bigger and has a crown).

Thank you for reading.

Of the King Boo renditions, I would've loved it if the Sunshine's King Boo is used more. Mario Kart's King Boo (the most commonly-used version, in fact) is rather plain, Luigi's Mansion's King Boo is better off in its own series than a wider one.
250px-KingbooSunshine.jpg

I have a certain fondness for how unique this version of King Boo is, with its tongue sticking out and relaxed eyes, which is more or less how the Boos in Super Mario Sunshine are portrayed. This version would serve as a reminder of the unique flavour of Super Mario Sushine, much like how both Petey Piranha and Gooper Blooper celebrate the Sunshine variety of those enemies, instead of going through a redesign to make them closer to the standard versions of the enemies (basically what King Boo is: basically a Boo but bigger and has a crown).

Thank you for reading.
I always understood Mario Sunshine's King Boo as not the real thing, but rather a 'fake' King Boo made out goop - which goes to explain his unusual appearance, and why this design was so unique. Sunshine design could be used as an alt for Mario Kart Tour though.

Back