Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

I wouldn't care for the next Mario 3D Platformer to just be "Super Mario Odyssey 2". I would much prefer Nintendo to come up with an entirely new platformer with entirely new ideas, instead of just being a sequel to Super Mario Odyssey.

Have Luigi playable for the next 3d platformer so he can try out some clothes'

I'm not upset that none of the video game voice actors are voicing their respective characters in the Mario movie. Who knows, maybe I'll like the voice actors from the movie better than the video game voice actors. Charles Martinet is kind of overrated, y'all need to Have Faith in Chris (like LJS says). Samantha Kelly is also overrated; I've always liked Jen Taylor's Peach, Toad, and Toadette better.

I'm mostly gay and yeah that's bad that Chris Pratt goes to that church. (I thought two posts above meant he was a member of the church until 2011 but he's still a member now, yikes) Although I'm not sure if "homophobic" is the right word to describe him maybe, just ignorant of that just because a church says something nice occasionally doesn't excuse all the terrible things they've done if they've done them. Like not all but many Christians have the problem of. That's part of why I don't care for religion at in general at all.

Last edited:
It's...complicated.

Chris Pratt goes to a church that isn't really homophobic, it's another church that has ties with Chris's church that is homophobic.

I get the "guilty by association" mentality, but I seriously don't think that Chris himself is homophobic

As someone who is bi-sexual....I couldn't care less who he associates with. I judge him based on his own actions.

can we get back on track to talking about bing bing wahoo plumber?

please and thank you

Anyways, I think 64 is the worst of the 3D platformers. Sure, its still a good game, but the controls are clunky and I just don't have us much fun playing it as I do with Sunshine and Galaxy.

Nah, Chris Pratt is a member of an anti-LGBTQ+ church that referred openly gay members to conversion therapy until 2011 so fuck him. I'm not gonna give anyone like that a chance or have faith in him.

There's several misleading things with that claim. The church he's attends Zoe Church, which as far as I know, hasn't been openly LGBTQ+. The church people are thinking about is the Hillsong Church, that's the one that's openly anti-gay and accrues a bunch of controversy and media attention, and the major problem with Zoe Church is that it's affiliated with the Hillsong Church. Now, the appropriate thing to do is for the Zoe Church to cut ties with the Hillsong Church OR Chris Pratt to stop attending it (it's not quite clear if he had attended Hillsong in the past but one source I read claimed he has, I don't know if he still attends but from the looks of things...apparently not).

None of this means Chris Pratt is free of criticism of his lifestyle choices, he absolutely does deserve to get his ass grilled for attending a church that is affiliated with Hillsong, as with a lot of other celebrities, but be careful on what you read on social media, is all I'm saying.

EDIT: LJS said pretty much what I wanted to say. Google doesn't really bring me back good results on Zoe Church, most results relevant are related to that specific controversy.

can we get back on track to talking about bing bing wahoo plumber?

Chris Pratt will be the voice of Mario in an officially sanctioned Mario movie. Discussing Chris Pratt's controversy is completely relevant to the thread.

Last edited:
None of this means Chris Pratt is free of criticism of his lifestyle choices, he absolutely does deserve to get his ass grilled for attending a church that is affiliated with Hillsong, as with a lot of other celebrities, but
I just want to know what it takes to "unaffiliate" (or if it's reasonable for a church to condemn the other, through idk what means). I don't understand church attendance and how important people see their local church, but I also think it's easier said than done to cut ties with a church, because there's probably networking and community there (so I feel it's unreasonable to demand such a thing; you should more put pressure on Zoe Church rather than Pratt). Also while I'm not comfortable that Pratt knows about the proxy, I feel people in general are way more aloof about these subjects than you think. I'd still give Pratt benefit of doubt, as so far, he's no Butch Hartman (of Fairly Oddparents fame).

I am of the opinion that it's better not to reveal who is voicing who in the Mario movie announcement back on September 2021 (though it would not be a bad idea to have the voice actors listed, just not who's voicing who), because of the worry that the announcement that it would cloud any merits the film would eventually have.

Despite the voice acting role announcements, I think how it was handled is acceptable. Mainly because:
  • It quelled my concern that it doesn't just feature the standard Mario crew, as at least Donkey Kong is featured (my minimum expectation for the film, given the nature of films for its feature time-length)
  • It confirms a generally obscure character, him being Foreman Spike instead of the generic enemy Spike. Also it's nice that the Mario emblems are used, which shows how strong of an identity they are associated with Mario characters.
  • The quelling of assumption that Martinet would be voicing the main characters (surprised to see that not much attention is given to the fact that Martinet also voiced Luigi, like as if that's not very well-known). If they just roll call the voice cast without listing the roles, I'm sure the general assumption would be very off and many expectations will be dashed.
  • It shows the people still care about Mario (I was a bit worried that Mario is a character people couldn't care less), given how Chris Pratt giving the role to him is the biggest news and is still being brought up, either as discussion or as jokes. I felt that the Luigi and Bowser roles are not as frequently discussed so I guess they must have been considered "safer" choices.
Thank you for reading.

It's funny thinking about how I used to say that it was an unpopular opinion that the Game Theorists didn't know what they were talking about. Fandom perceptions can really change in a couple years!

Here's a real unpopular opinion: I think Super Mario 64 has not aged well, and although I recognize that it did a lot for Mario and is obviously an important part of history, the shadow it casts on newer games that are, quite frankly, better than it seems unfair. Super Mario Odyssey and Super Mario Galaxy are superior games by far, with better direction (art, story, and gameplay wise) and better graphics (yes, SM64's graphics are that way because of the hardware at the time, but that doesn't change the fact that SMO and SMG are far better looking games, and SMG in particular is impressive given that it has aged pretty well despite being a Wii title). To put it succinctly: they clearly knew more what they were doing with SMG and SMO than with SM64 and it shows.

EDIT: I did not read all the replies before this and it shows. Sorry about that. I stand by what I said here, though.

Reactions: zel
i played through sm64 once, got like 80 or 81 stars or so and had no desire to come back to it. not that it was a bad experience unlike one other 2d platformer i can think of, i think sm64 is just fine and it had some decently cool things about it btu also frustrating things!
i like sunshine way more even though its just as if not more furstarting lmao sm64 doesnt have The Npcs
hey speaking of unpopular takes................... i think i may even like sunshine betetr than galaxy? galaxy is way more fun ofc and has little frustrations but theres Something about sunshine that just gravitates me to it

its kinda funny how y'all dont like sm64 when its my favorite 3d Mario game, even trumping smo

ofc I'm talking abt the ds ver,, the of n64 one is kinda poop

while smg was my first 3d Mario game I played honestly its my lowest ranking one. its fun until you try to 100% it then it gets so tedious so fast. and playing through the whole game as Mario is only 50% of the game. then you gotta redo it as luigi and like no. also luigi controls like literal butter in a hot pan. smg2 doesn't even get a ranking, it is dead to me.

my ranking would be sm64ds > smo > smg > all the others I haven't played sunshine but it seems... interesting

In all seriousness, Jerry Seinfeld would have made a good casting for Mario or Luigi in the upcoming movie. His voice carries in a similar way.

its kinda funny how y'all dont like sm64 when its my favorite 3d Mario game, even trumping smo

ofc I'm talking abt the ds ver,, the of n64 one is kinda poop

while smg was my first 3d Mario game I played honestly its my lowest ranking one. its fun until you try to 100% it then it gets so tedious so fast. and playing through the whole game as Mario is only 50% of the game. then you gotta redo it as luigi and like no. also luigi controls like literal butter in a hot pan. smg2 doesn't even get a ranking, it is dead to me.

my ranking would be sm64ds > smo > smg > all the others I haven't played sunshine but it seems... interesting

It's less that I don't like it and more that I think it's very dated. Super Mario Odyssey is a better game, and yet it's overshadowed by Super Mario 64 in Best of lists. Ultimately, everyone is allowed their preferences, but I don't agree with what appears to me the general public opinion that SM64 has something SMO doesn't. The team has come a long way since the N64, and to me it shows.

That's another unpopular opinion that I agree with, though - I really like the DS remake and while I get where people are coming from on the controls not being as tight, it's simply not as bothersome to me. In fact, the loads of new content the DS remake has makes going back to the original kind of unappealing, not to mention the fact that the DS remake looks a lot better than the original game. I haven't played it for some time now, but I sure was obsessed with it when I was a kid.

Personally, I found 100% SMG pretty fun. I also like controlling Luigi. In fact, if I had to add another unpopular opinion, I like that Luigi is a bit slippery to control. I recognize there's good reason for people to dislike this about him, but personally it's fun to navigate around, and I become accustomed to it quite quickly whenever I need to negotiate with it in games I play as him.

See, I agree with that statement but I also feel like SMB hasn't aged in the way SM64 has.

Certainly, the later 2D Mario games have surpassed what SMB has done, but whenever I go back and play SMB, I don't have that feeling of like 'This aspect of the game is frustrating and dated nowadays'.

Contrast to Super Mario 64 where, while I still think Mario's controls are top notch even all these years later, my enjoyment of the N64 original is marred by 'Why is the goddamn camera so awful please stop this is the worst part of the game'.

An unpopular opinion I have is that Mount Wario is a pun/wordplay of Mount Mario (a real life location). It's not apparent because Mario Kart's courses are not known to do wordplay or puns, unlike Mario Party's minigames.

Thank you for reading.

I feel like my most unpopular opinion is that I don't like orchestrated songs from games like Galaxy and Odyssey. I have a visceral hatred for Gusty Garden Galaxy, Jump Up Superstar (although that one isn't as bad), and especially the orchestrated Koopa's Road remix because I hate that song originally.

Back