Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

Luigi fans are pretentious, insufferable, and cannot take a joke.
idk I've met a fair few who have Mario as their second favorite character or at least like Mario a lot as well, just not as much as Luigi.

I consider myself a Luigi fan as well, but it's just that, well, I'm known primarily for being a Mario fan.

idk I've met a fair few who have Mario as their second favorite character or at least like Mario a lot as well, just not as much as Luigi.

I consider myself a Luigi fan as well, but it's just that, well, I'm known primarily for being a Mario fan.
Luigi is just a better version of Waluigi, like how Wario is just a better version of Mario.

No no nope. We'll have to be sworn enemies for life if you believe Wario is better than Mario.

CFvMKYG.jpg

I don't like the artwork for Yoshi's Story or the Rareware era Donkey Kong games. They look off putting and just give me a weird vibe.

I remember actually finding Wario Land Shake It more fun than New Super Mario Bros. Wii because of how generic NSMB Wii (mostly) is, but aside from that I'd still call Mario better than Wario

I don't like the artwork for Yoshi's Story or the Rareware era Donkey Kong games. They look off putting and just give me a weird vibe.

I think most people would agree. It's one of those things that look better in game than in static artwork.

i can agree too. some artwork in the dkc snes trilogy can be really nice, but dixie in particular often does not look good. yes thats despite my pfp LMAO
and yet the snes design is still better than the donkey konga 2/3 one
DKa2_Barrel_Race.png

oh yeah nid is also a great example of looking cute as a sprite, but just very scary in artwork

I despise Odyssey. I feel it deviated too far from Mario's roots.

You must have hated the original Super Mario bros then.

I think 3D Land is the closest to Mario's roots than SM64 tbh

You must have hated the original Super Mario bros then.

No. My issue was with possession cap, New York City with real people (Sonic X anyone?) and etc.

Not sure why the cap abilities would bother you when it's just a variant of the temp power-ups Mario's gotten for years.

This is also not the first time Mario was in a real life based city if you go by the whole "being from Brooklyn" thing.

Super Mario Bros. (film) is an official version of Mario and should have had an honorable mention in Odyssey, also Bob Hoskins Mario a driver in MKT.

Last edited:
Not sure why the cap abilities would bother you when it's just a variant of the temp power-ups Mario's gotten for years.

This is also not the first time Mario was in a real life based city if you go by the whole "being from Brooklyn" thing.

I am aware of Mario's hometown, but to me it seems like a Sonic Adventure 2 & Sonic X knock off. I prefer Mario in the Mushroom Kingdom, and Sonic in Mobius.

Mobius isn't a place and if there is already precedent for Mario being in actual cities way before Sonic Adventure was a thing, it's hardly a knock off.

Mobius isn't a place and if there is already precedent for Mario being in actual cities way before Sonic Adventure was a thing, it's hardly a knock off.

Mobius is realm/ dimension of anamorphic creatures battling Dr. Robotnik/ Eggman. Even the new Sonic movie showed there are other realms, Mobius is one of them.

Mobius is a name the localization team for the original genesis game came up with for what was called earth for a while during the early to mid 2000s and is now called "sonic's world" by sega mandate nowadays.

Mobius is a name the localization team for the original genesis game came up with for what was called earth for a while during the early to mid 2000s and is now called "sonic's world" by sega mandate nowadays.

Ah but the first Sonic game was 1991, and SEGA was competing with Nintendo and the Mushroom Kingdom, so Sonic instead of Mario and Mobius instead of Mushroom Kingdom. In fact, the Archie Comics and the TV Series made it clear Mobius was a different Earth or dimension, with the Adventure/ Human world being elsewhere. The Sonic The Hedgehog 2020 film, Sonic 1996 film, Sonic X, and other games made it clear our earth is different from Mobius. Hence why stages are called Zones, like Mushroom Zone, which is another realm/ dimension/ world as seen in the new movie.

I'm going to let you in on a little secret.

The cartoons, comics and movies all exist within their own continuities and are completely irrelevant to the games.

I always feel the New Donk is both a surprise factor and adds diversity to the types of species Mario encounters in his travels. Nintendo did plan more humans more in style with Mario but I think they really liked the juxtaposition of Mario and the realistic humans a lot, and I think it worked so well because people remember New Donk City a lot from both the trailer and playing the game.

I still like an idea of Metro style levels translated into a 2D Mario platformer in a similar way Kirby Planet Robobot did it.

Back