Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

If you think New Super Mario Bros. Wii is "generic" then I have no idea why you'd give a free pass to something like Super Mario Bros. 3, which doesn't have a proper multiplayer, has no star coins, much less alternate exits, has shorter levels, no wall-jumping, has better powerups, has better bosses, has a bigger variety of levels, and more.

The only things the other 2D Marios have are the solid Advance remakes especially Super Mario Advance: Super Mario Bros. 2 and especially that Mario Bros. side game they loved to put in every GBA Mario game barring Mario vs. Donkey Kong (which was sorely missing Mario Bros.).

SMB3 has that old cartoon style at least in the Nes version. NSMB games all look the same while the old ones all have their own style. You're also being a bit unfair on a game that was batshit insane for its time (88 LEVELS, lots of new power-ups besides fire flower, looks and sounds great and also uhhh the triple level end card thing kind of counts as star coins if you try to make them match in every single level for a challenge??? Also completing every bonus game flawlessly??). Bosses in Mario in general are not that good. I love Dark Land too.

smb3 only looks unique BECAUSE it was limited by its time

Now that graphics are good everything looks the same

Simple as that

Also on the topic of being harsh on an old game, I think it's fair to rate a game on its own merits and technological context but you can't call a modern game that's better worse than it simply because it didn't push the limits of the technology of its time. Back then games were pretty much required to push said limits to make them stand out among the crowd, now you don't need to do that because of more powerful hardware.

Origami King's battle theme>Thousand Year Door's battle theme

I don't even like Thousand-Year Door's soundtrack at all, so for me, it's not a high bar to clear.

Umm.. I think ´Mario Sucks´ isnt that ´unpopular´. Lots of people think that Mario sucks

Umm.. I think ´Mario Sucks´ isnt that ´unpopular´. Lots of people think that Mario sucks
i did not know it was a popular opinion in the fandom to hate on mario
i woulda assumed people would more often just not care that much for him and thats about it? i dunno! mario and luigi are both just my favorite mario characters 🤷

I think most people are just indifferent at worst to Mario, but if people can tell me why they don't like him, then fair.

Yes. Everyone has their own opinions, we respect that. When someone starts a fight for that, that person is starting an ignorant fight.
You cannot change others opinions, because then those are no longer their opinions, they dont choose to believe that, theyre forced to have yours, and even then,your opinion may be wrong.

Mario was a mistake.

It's nothing but jumping.

I don't like that Bowser Jr.

NSMBWii is overrated

I agree The New Super Mario Bros. trend was simply Nintendo being lazy, creating 2D (with some fake 3D) clones of the earlier NES-SNES games. The NSMB games bored me to tears.

People generally cite the chaotic multiplayer of not enjoying as much as they should. For instance, I really dislike the stomping-on-head gamplay; so obnoxious
That's what makes it fun imo! It's like Mario Party and Mario Kart, the bros love to beat eachother up. :P

I prefer the M&L soundtracks to PM. Superstar Saga in particular has some catchy tunes.
I love the M&L soundtracks too as well as the PM soundtracks.

The Dream Team art style is better than Superstar Saga and I will tolerate Superstar Saga's remake's weird removal of Mecha-Chomp AND the status screens not showing Mario and Luigi shoving each other, as I don't have to deal with some of the sickening sprites, soundtrack, and sound effects of the original Superstar Saga.

Also Luigi was moping around, wearing a badge, while Mario was forced against his will to equip a badge he got for free and was inferior to a badge I got from Queen Bean. Thanks for the forced tutorial.

But anyway, all I will tolerate as long as I can see the beautiful Dream Team style.

The Dream Team art style is better than Superstar Saga and I will tolerate Superstar Saga's remake's weird removal of Mecha-Chomp AND the status screens not showing Mario and Luigi shoving each other, as I don't have to deal with some of the sickening sprites, soundtrack, and sound effects of the original Superstar Saga.

This hurt to read.

Bowser's roles in any of the post PM64 PM games are rubbish.

Bowletta was a terrible idea.

Count Bleck didn't deserve a happy ending.

I actually like the Dream Team style too and don't consider it a downgrade from the previous styles. In some ways it's just as great if not better. But I strongly disagree with Superstar Saga's being bad, the only character it represented poorly was Bowser. I don't even think that extends to other forms like Bowletta, her face is designed better with the proportions of that Bowser, but seeing Bowser's face all squished in there and derpy is not intimidating at all lol. Rookie is a derpier character so it works well enough there. Otherwise I adore Superstar Saga's sprites.

Back