Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

Funny enough, I was expecting Color Splash to get ported to Switch.

Never liked the Tiki Tak Tribe. They're designs aren't interesting and they lack a lot of personality compared to the Kremlings and Snowmads.

The bosses are fun though.

The football players did come back for Super Mario 3D World and was a capturable enemy for Super Mario Odyssey, so it's not a stretch at all to want them in a 2D Mario platformer.

honestly i want enemies that only appeared in 3d games to be in nsmb like bullies (ok i guess they were in mario maker 2 but it wasnt nsmb so...), blocksteppers from 3d world, uproots and sherms

The football players did come back for Super Mario 3D World and was a capturable enemy for Super Mario Odyssey, so it's not a stretch at all to want them in a 2D Mario platformer.

I'd only really be interested if their variations returned. That's what really made them, was pretty dissapointed in their 3D World appearance for that reason

I love the U.S. "Super Mario Bros 2" and think they need to revisit that style of gameplay again in the future.
"Super Mario Sunshine" is annoying to play.

I know it's not unpopular to hate TTYD chapter 4. After all, it is a very poorly designed chapter that forces you to go through the same boring area a bazillion times in order to foster a false sense of difficulty that just ends up being time padding. I hate this chapter, and I hate it more than any other Paper Mario chapter, yes even Chapter 6 in Spm, because at least you're only required to fight 20 of the sammer idiots and the chapter is short in the main game.

But that is not what I am here to discuss. The actual unpopular opinion I have today is about... Vivian herself.

I don't like her that much. I don't dislike her, mind you, but I'm pretty sure everyone loves her, enough that I'd consider my opinion on her unpopular.

Having you liking Vivian kinda feels... forced, if you ask me. Sure. A lot of characters have to do things specifically to give you a reason to like them. Let's start by looking at Vivian's appearance before her recruitment.

Vivian is seen just hanging out with her sisters normally. You don't really get a glimpse into their relationship till Chapter 2. Then everyone's chill with each other until Beldam starts being a bitch out of nowhere. There's absolutely no hints that she abuses Vivian beforehand and it just feels sudden. And it's not even known at this point if she's been doing this for years or if it's just started to happen now, which is odd considering the sheer number of years they must've spent coexisting. Vivian looks cheerier than someone who's been constantly abused for life, so I don't think that's the case, and as such Beldam yelling at her is just... you know, it's just there to tell you "hey look, this is the antagonist you're supposed to feel bad for". I wanna actually get to like Vivian myself, I don't need the game to tell me I'm supposed to. What's more, is her appearance in Twilight Town. When she complains about the bomb being broken you have no option to be mean to her. This wouldn't be a problem for me if not for the fact that you can be mean to every other one of your potential partners. You can refuse Koops's proposal, you can tell Flurrie you're not in the mood for finding the necklace, you can tell the little Yoshi right to his face that YOU WANT TO EAT THE EGG. Yet when it comes to Vivian, you don't have such an option, as if the game is just trying its hardest for you not to do the same to her. I get it. Her life's been hard (or at least just during the two chapters, according to my conclusion), but I need to find reasons to like her myself. She's sweet and kind, if the game had just showed me that instead of shoving it into my throat that she needs affection I would have liked her a lot, and I mean a lot more.

The final nail in the coffin is during the Doopliss battle. She says Mario's been kinder to her than her sisters ever were. That effectively means she was abused her whole life (which is maybe not true but considering the game's direction on this plot point, it's safe to assume that). And I can't imagine that someone like that could have the willpower to put on a brave face temporarily. Vivian looks normal right up until she gets scolded. And it doesn't make any sense.

Now, with all that said, I do think she is the female partner I like best in this game. Not a high bar to beat when Goombella exists in said game but whatever, that's something. Also I'm gonna take this opportunity to say how much I hate the fact that every single one of the female partners have to kiss Mario at least once (looking at you, Mowz).

Vivian has Fiery Jinx though and her normal punching can cause burn to opponents, which is pretty nice. She's a pretty useful partner to have due to the status effects she can cause.

Oh yeah, combat-wise she's pretty good, I'm just talking about her character arc and why I think it borders on bad and could've been done better.

Honestly don't know if is this considered an unpopular opinion because it's about Mario kart tour, but I like the whole leveling up your karts, characters, gliders and collecting coins to earn more karts, characters and gliders.

Also would be cool if we got new content over time through updates ala Crash team racing nitro fueled.

I wouldn't mind that being carried over to the next Mario kart console game. Of course don't have the micro transactions as that's the only thing I don't like about it.

Doubt it's gonna happen since we already have tour though.

I didn't think it was bad either, but I still prefer it more when you unlock a character by completing a challenge rather than tediously earning coins.

But mission mode and costumes like London Waluigi should return. Now, if only the game didn't control like ass.

Honestly, character unlocking hasn't been great since MKWii. In 7, all characters are unlocked by getting gold trophies in each 150cc cup. In 8, all characters are unlocked at random each time you get a gold trophy (The Switch version didn't have unlockable characters at all, save for Gold Mario). And in Tour...don't even get me started.

Character unlocks have been getting worse with every game.

Would be better if you just unlocked all the characters from the get-go.

This kinda thing I feel works for Mario Kart because it certainly did with MK8deluxe.

A code to unlock all options is a really good idea, and it's something that Puyo Puyo games (even the recent ones like Puyo Puyo Tetris) did. Champions didn't have since everything was already unlocked from the get go so it wasn't necessary (but it has codes for 1P CPU and super-difficult AI).

Thank you for reading.

Actually, I kinda like unlocking stuff for myself. I do agree that MK7/8 had some trash unlocking systems, but I don't want a game just handing stuff to me.

Interesting idea though, what if there were a shop to buy kart parts/characters with coins or points you collect?

PC gaming laughs once again with access to the console in many games.

Back