Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

To each his own but I actually really like Mario Kart VII's Rainbow Road music, probably my favorite in the series or at least among them.

mk8 rainbow road gives me a bit of nostalgia from how much i listened to it and a bunch of other mk8 tracks back in 2015 . its weird

Zelen's post reminded me that we're 6 years due for a new Mario Kart and now I'm sad.

12 years due for a new one that's also good.

I actually think 8 has one of the better Rainbow Road themes. EDIT: I ranked the Rainbow Roads and I was wrong. Please post your Rainbow Ranking.
1. DS
2. Super Circuit
3. N64 (8)
4. Arcade GP
5. Super
6. Super (8)
7. 8
8. Double Dash!!
9. 64
10. Wii
11. 7

Last edited:
64's and Double Dash's rainbow road themes have stuck out to me. I also liked SNES, DS, Wii, and 7's.

My favorite rainbow road tracks are Double Dash and DS. Wii's was okay. N64's original version was too long, but the 8 version of that track felt a bit too short.

1. 3DS Rainbow Road

Great track all-around. I love the different varieties of what you can drive on, such as being on planets and driving on the rings of a gas giant, and I think it's fitting that the track is nice and long for the final track in the game.

2. DS Rainbow Road

It's the first ever Mario Kart track to have a proper loop-the-loop. I still can't believe Mario Kart 8, a game all about anti-gravity, does not have a proper loop-the-loop, it still bothers me to this day and that they decided to return SNES Rainbow Road again, out of all things. The music is pretty good too! Probably my favorite Rainbow Road music in the series.

3. Wii U Rainbow Road

It's a unique Rainbow Road in that it's artificial rather than fantastical, and that's what I like about it. I like the space station vibe of it. Some people were disappointed in it, I like its new direction rather than being yet another floating gay pride road in space.

4. Arcade GP's Rainbow Coaster and Rainbow Downhill

Unique tracks also! It first takes place in a space station and then goes into a day-time version of the track! No other Rainbow Roads have a bright blue sky with clouds, which is how they stood out for me.

5. GBA Rainbow Road

Very underrated track. It's challenging to drive on and even more challenging to master the track and its many jumps and ledges with your boosts. A lot of boost pads serve to either help you or throw you off.

6. Wii Rainbow Road

Track is okay. I even forgot its existence. Just plain mediocre.

7. GCN Rainbow Road

It would have been a decent track if the game's sloppy physics didn't make nonSpiny Shell homing items completely unreliable excpet in the parts up the track with the boost panels. Still not a huge fan of the track though. Even if random Stars are fun.

8. SNES Rainbow Road

It's a bit on the bland and boring side, being from Super Mario Kart. 8 looks pretty nice though its return isn't warranted since it already returned in 7. Playing this track in Sonic Robo Blast 2 Kart is nice and challenging though, it's a reason it's in the map hell category.

9. 64 Rainbow Road / 8 Rainbow Road

Just like the game it came from, the course is a tedious, 5 minute run, and in not a good way. For a track this long, there has to be some justifiable reason other than simply wasting the player's time, and this track does not have a reason, other than unleashing the occasional Chain Chomp at you. In contrast, 8's variant is way too short for me to derive much enjoyment from it, being on the opposite end of the spectrum of a mediocre track.

I like the GBA rainbow road over the SNES one, just on the fact that you can bounce around and do shortcuts. And there's also a lot of close call moments.

Sticker Star is better than its Paper Mario predecessors. It's back to a standard world theme like 64, but with a great twist and fixes. No more over-elaborate angsty plots. Kameks back, proving we didn't *need* Kammy. And Junior is here too! Instead of um.. Koopa Jr? Don't get me wrong, they're ok characters but come on, they were clearly clones.

But what I love the most? The new battle mechanic. Power up galore! It's very Mario!
Heck, just the other day, I got the frog suit, I swear I cried a tear of joy I did.

Needs more Bowser scenes though, I'll admit.

Sticker Star is better than its Paper Mario predecessors. It's back to a standard world theme like 64, but with a great twist and fixes. No more over-elaborate angsty plots. Kameks back, proving we didn't *need* Kammy. And Junior is here too! Instead of um.. Koopa Jr? Don't get me wrong, they're ok characters but come on, they were clearly clones.

But what I love the most? The new battle mechanic. Power up galore! It's very Mario!
Heck, just the other day, I got the frog suit, I swear I cried a tear of joy I did.

Needs more Bowser scenes though, I'll admit.
Glad to see I'm not alone. If you have a Wii U you should consider trying Color Splash, has everything great about this game and makes a lot of fun additions.

The Shroobs were the best of the RPG villains since:

A. They were plenty menacing but still fit well as Mario villains unlike say, Count Bleck and Co. (who come off as rejects from a JRPG series).

B. They weren't functionally identical to Bowser.

C. They didn't get a forced redemption arc after being shown as obvious mass murderers (hello again Bleck and Co.).

Even then, Count Bleck only reversed his stance because the girl he had the hots for was still alive, nevermind him not coming to the conclusion of, "What the hell am I doing." He's a selfish, entitled, reckless sociopath who doesn't deserve Timpani, and Timpani should have broken up with him the moment he decided that if he can't possess her, the world shouldn't exist.

Bleck is definitely my least favorite of Super Paper Mario's characters. The game wants us to feel sympathetic for his sacrifice to save all worlds, except that level of selfishness is irredeemable. You could make the argument Mario and co. helped saved him from his path of destruction, but it's still not satisfying. So I say fuck that sympathy until it's actually earned.

Wouldn't even have a problem with him if he was defeated and they left it at that. You could even keep Dimentio as the final boss if you wanted to.

You know, this makes me think deeper about this relationship and the implications of how Bleck felt when he had to cope with a loss of a loved one. Like it makes me think beyond just the happy ending of them in the sunset where they are. Relationships like this are bound to have conflict; hell, not even Mario and Peach are perfect together as the ending with Odyssey has shown. So what happens if Tippi doesn't want to advance Bleck's interests? How exactly would Bleck react if a major dispute follows, as there's no perfect relationship? Why do I have a feeling Bleck would be abusive towards her, reading how possessive his dialogue is of her, that he has this ideal image of his head of her in his mind that she may not actually be?

If Bleck was possessed by the Dark Prognosticus and severely underestimated its consequences of using it, it'll be excusable, but I don't see any indication that the Dark Prognosticus corrupted him or otherwise he's out of control from his own actions.

oh lmao I thought the book was called Dark "Prognostics" not "Prognosticus"

You know, this makes me think deeper about this relationship and the implications of how Bleck felt when he had to cope with a loss of a loved one. Like it makes me think beyond just the happy ending of them in the sunset where they are. Relationships like this are bound to have conflict; hell, not even Mario and Peach are perfect together as the ending with Odyssey has shown. So what happens if Tippi doesn't want to advance Bleck's interests? How exactly would Bleck react if a major dispute follows, as there's no perfect relationship? Why do I have a feeling Bleck would be abusive towards her, reading how possessive his dialogue is of her, that he has this ideal image of his head of her in his mind that she may not actually be?
And keep in mind, I don't have as many qualms with Super Paper Mario's story as many of you do. But I feel the ending falls flat and it could have been executed much better.
If Bleck was possessed by the Dark Prognosticus and severely underestimated its consequences of using it, it'll be excusable, but I don't see any indication that the Dark Prognosticus corrupted him or otherwise he's out of control from his own actions.

oh lmao I thought the book was called Dark "Prognostics" not "Prognosticus"
I think the closest thing to that is his eyes turning from red to blue after his defeat? We know he was Blumiere before he stole the Dark Prognosticus, and became Bleck after. But if that's what they were going for then I don't think they pulled the trigger hard enough.

Boohoo... my significant other is gone... Whatever shall I do? You know what, I decided that people don't deserve existing. I think that's a fair trade.

Yeah. Bleck's motives are just... you know... Bleck. I mean... at least Dimentio had ambitions, and I'm not even trying to defend him. Count Bleck is like, such a wuss puss that he just cannot man up and deal with it like a man should.

And don't get me started on Nastasia, she's aware of his plans unlike the other minions excluding Dimentio, and she knows it's bad, but she's still like "Nah" and she ends up as dead weight throughout the whole story, just standing there, doing nothing other than hypnotizing Bowser's army (which, honestly, was unnecessary, because he's got legions of his own anyway). You could argue that her role is pretty much to provide Bleck some conscience, but we all know THAT never worked so...

It also makes me think, what if Tippi ends up dying first of some unforeseen cause, like contracting cancer or dying in a car accident? How would Bleck react? Would he try destroying the world again?

Oh, he would try again.

Good riddance, I say. The world was saved the moment he sacrificed himself.

Oh yeah, about the sacrifice, he only willingly did it because Tippi was with him too. It's like... he's willing to put his girl's life on the line if it meant they could be together. Who said you needed to do that to stop world destruction anyway, it's like this plot point was made specifically to have them sacrifice themselves together, this is so fucking bs. An excuse to let him have what he wants. Ugh.

MarioWiki on Tippi: "She is shown to be very caring and kind."

Also MarioWiki on Tippi: "Tippi recalls the last of her lost memories and finally learns to her horror that Blumiere is indeed Count Bleck. Despite this knowledge, however, she keeps her past a secret from the heroes as they travel through Castle Bleck to defeat the count, knowing that only his death can end the prophecy of destruction."

In Bleck's defense he was willing to let himself be killed alone to fix the whole mess.

That being said it's still a weak motivation for destroying the entire multiverse.

It tells me that Bleck is self-aware of what he's done rather than be possessed, which doesn't excuse what he's done. I guess he attempted a redemption which I think reflects on his character a bit better, but Tippi still wants to marry him after this? Why?

Ah, but no, my friend, you don't get it. It's because it's T R U E L O V E. And when it comes to that you just become stupid when it comes to your partners. Like, your brain stops functioning. Only thing keeping you alive is that beast locked up in the rib cage. That, honey, is what you call impulse.

Ok no, seriously, why? "Oh, darling it's ok, I forgive you. After all you only tried to destroy the world, I'm sure you didn't mean it, right?" Fucking hypocrite. I'll bet you the country's economy that if it wasn't her true love trying to wipe out the universe for better reasons than... her, she would not hesitate to call him names and insult him and tell Mario to kill him or whatever. The only reason she felt remorse in the first place is because "that's Blecky Boi I'm fighting, waaah!" I don't even hate Tippi at all but like... Why?

"Just as no one can ease the tempest that rages in my suffering heart..."

Everytime I read this line it makes me want to punch him.

"She cannot be replaced. You could never hope to do so, Nastasia. To be sure... She is gone... Gone from all worlds, never to return..."

The jackass won't even consider the possibility that he might find someone else

I don't think it's wrong to be loyal to one person. If you love her too much, fine, stay loyal. What is wrong is thinking it's ok to kill everyone because you love that person and are "loyal" to them.

Back