Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

Hotel Mario had genuinely good ideas for the Koopalings (who wouldn't want a flying Lemmy and a psychic-lighting Ludwig?!) , and the "hotel" themes were pretty visually pleasant considering when it was made and for what platform. And that whole door thing was a weird popular game mechanic for early day pc's so I don't blame them for that. The only thing that really bugs me is the voices, even the talking to the player thing is ok imo since it really was aimed for young children.

Overall I think they had decent ideas on what I assume a low budget with minimal computer specs to work on.

I think Mario Kart Tour has elements that deserve more universal hate than Sticker Star to be really honest. If the hate isn't universal, it's at least more intense.

Hotel Mario is more ironically hilarious than anything else. Thank you so much Russian animators.

Mario Kart Tour should be the fanbase's most hated game. Sticker Star might be an objectionable game that simply made the mistake of experimenting and ending up aliennating fans in the process, but it still isn't a kid's pipe-tugging gambling machine with Mario's face painted over it.

And with M&L possibly gone, this might be the only hope the Mario RPGs I loved so much to keep going, I sure hope we're not looking at a future where all Mario RPGs have the same regular character cast and a generic story.
While Mario RPGs definitely have a brother series down, we just had Luigi's Mansion 3 recently! It's filled with new characters! Only Luigi, Peach, Toad, King Boo, Boos, Mario, and E Gadd are recurring characters (while Polterpup has been limited only to Dark Moon which should count it as an OC like how a recurring RPG character Fawful is an OC) while every other character is brand new and has its own personality. The story, however, may be a kidnapping plot, but that just leaves only Luigi and E Gadd and King Boo while the rest can duke it out against Luigi!

While Mario RPGs definitely have a brother series down, we just had Luigi's Mansion 3 recently! It's filled with new characters! Only Luigi, Peach, Toad, King Boo, Boos, Mario, and E Gadd are recurring characters (while Polterpup has been limited only to Dark Moon which should count it as an OC like how a recurring RPG character Fawful is an OC) while every other character is brand new and has its own personality. The story, however, may be a kidnapping plot, but that just leaves only Luigi and E Gadd and King Boo while the rest can duke it out against Luigi!

You know I won't go to far into the detail, 'cuz spoilers but I gotta say LM3 is IMO the best story we've had told in this franchise. It has tons of unique and fun characters and places whilst still having the Mario charm and the brothers at the forefront of the adventure. (Also the most expressive and personality filled we've ever seen these characters)

"Inherently worse" is an odd phrase. It makes two character qualities... essentialist, as if they're fundamental and rigid. And that's not true. It's all up to interpretation and opinion. You either like or dislike a character, and if you dislike a character, you shouldn't justify opinions behind condescending "objective"-sounding phrases like "inherently worse".

yeah theres a lot of people in mario related circles who constantly complain about mario being SO AWFUL AND SUPER BAD GRR which always comes across super shittily, Mario characters are pretty much the most inoffensive characters ever, so i dont get why people always say such things

Well he's as cute and huggable as Luigi. I'm sure that if you like Luigi, you should like Mario too because they share physical appearances, cute demeanor, and they're so good as foils for each other.

Must....not.....rain....on....parade.

Ha! My list would be like

1. Baby Luigi
2. Baby Luigi
3. Baby Luigi
4. Baby Mario
5. Baby Luigi
6. Baby Luigi
7. Toadette
8. Baby Luigi
9. Toad
10. Baby Luigi

Yeah, he's not. I have better characters to put on that list than him. I'm unexpected.

I'll have to make a list one of these days on there. I know Fawful and Dimentio would be at the top but as for the full list that would take some serious thinking.

That list was my subjective opinion only.
I'm well aware. But even subjective opinions have reasoning behind them. I'd like to ask what yours is.

I personally don't see anything about Luvbi that would justify her placing fifth in a favorites list of all Mario characters. She's easily my second-least favorite Mario character after Jojora (and if you don't remember her, trust me, it's better you don't).

bad girls bad girls whatcha gonna do ~when they come for you~

Idc what anyone says, Mimi is one of my alltime favorite Mario villains. Weirdly parallelling Muffet of Undertale.

Last edited:
I'm well aware. But even subjective opinions have reasoning behind them. I'd like to ask what yours is.

I personally don't see anything about Luvbi that would justify her placing fifth in a favorites list of all Mario characters. She's easily my second-least favorite Mario character after Jojora (and if you don't remember her, trust me, it's better you don't).

Do I not sufficiently explain it under my comment for Luvbi on my list? The story of that family is so powerful that I could not bear to dislike any of them. And yes I do remember Jojora having played Superstar Saga for over last summer (Northern Hemisphere) and I didn't find her at all memorable for better or worse.

bad girls bad girls whatcha gonna do ~when they come for you~

Idc what anyone says, Mimi is one of my alltime favorite Mario villains. Weirdly parallelling Muffet of Undertale.
Me too, she's also very similar to The Thing from The Thing as she is a shapeshifter who turns into a horrific spider creature.

Mimi has barely anything in common with The Thing. The Thing is some type of parasitic alien that takes control of people and can warp their body into all sorts of monstrous creatures, usually as a defense mechanism when it's found out.

Mimi is just the stock creepy anime girl.

"Mimi is a rather prominent homage to the 1982 science fiction horror film The Thing. The film's main antagonist is an extraterrestrial organism capable of shapeshifting, and one of its most notable appearances in the film is as a grotesque, upside-down face on several spider-like legs; save for the alien origin, the creature's traits are prominently featured in Mimi's character." - Super Mario Wiki, "Mimi"

Haven't watched the 1982 film myself but I trust the above is correct.

This is one of the downsides of a wiki anyone can edit.

So you're saying that The Thing never transformed into "a grotesque, upside-down face on several spider-like legs?"

Back