Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

Santa Claws

Rebel with a Cause
Poll Committee
That list was my subjective opinion only.
I'm well aware. But even subjective opinions have reasoning behind them. I'd like to ask what yours is.

I personally don't see anything about Luvbi that would justify her placing fifth in a favorites list of all Mario characters. She's easily my second-least favorite Mario character after Jojora (and if you don't remember her, trust me, it's better you don't).

Nossie

oo dib a wim? C=
bad girls bad girls whatcha gonna do ~when they come for you~

Idc what anyone says, Mimi is one of my alltime favorite Mario villains. Weirdly parallelling Muffet of Undertale.

Last edited:

ChristmasDinner

The Red-Nosed Dayzee
I'm well aware. But even subjective opinions have reasoning behind them. I'd like to ask what yours is.

I personally don't see anything about Luvbi that would justify her placing fifth in a favorites list of all Mario characters. She's easily my second-least favorite Mario character after Jojora (and if you don't remember her, trust me, it's better you don't).
Do I not sufficiently explain it under my comment for Luvbi on my list? The story of that family is so powerful that I could not bear to dislike any of them. And yes I do remember Jojora having played Superstar Saga for over last summer (Northern Hemisphere) and I didn't find her at all memorable for better or worse.

bad girls bad girls whatcha gonna do ~when they come for you~

Idc what anyone says, Mimi is one of my alltime favorite Mario villains. Weirdly parallelling Muffet of Undertale.
Me too, she's also very similar to The Thing from The Thing as she is a shapeshifter who turns into a horrific spider creature.

Mcmadness

The idiot who puts things in the wrong board.
Mimi has barely anything in common with The Thing. The Thing is some type of parasitic alien that takes control of people and can warp their body into all sorts of monstrous creatures, usually as a defense mechanism when it's found out.

Mimi is just the stock creepy anime girl.

ChristmasDinner

The Red-Nosed Dayzee
"Mimi is a rather prominent homage to the 1982 science fiction horror film The Thing. The film's main antagonist is an extraterrestrial organism capable of shapeshifting, and one of its most notable appearances in the film is as a grotesque, upside-down face on several spider-like legs; save for the alien origin, the creature's traits are prominently featured in Mimi's character." - Super Mario Wiki, "Mimi"

Haven't watched the 1982 film myself but I trust the above is correct.

Mcmadness

This is one of the downsides of a wiki anyone can edit.

Mcmadness

That did happen but for all of 3 seconds, and it was just using that to try and escape before they incinerated it. It wasn't very big either, just head sized.

And to say it was the most notable form it took in the movie is purely subjective, it took many different forms, which was what appealed to people as a horror monster, it had no identifiable form, it just morphed and twisted the human body into all sorts of fucked up shit.

Mcmadness

As I said earlier, opinions formed from lack of knowledge do you no favours.

Also watch John Carpenter's The Thing, great movie.

ChristmasDinner

The Red-Nosed Dayzee
I feel I should be able to trust SMW for things like this, but with trying non-Nintendo RPGs that's a different matter since I just don't feel that I could ever have the same love for a non-Mario game as I do for SPM, TTYD, BIS, or SSS. However I intend to try Undertale and possibly Delatrune at some point in the future.

Prefer Frozen II thanks.

Last edited:

Mcmadness

I thought that way once, you just have to find the right thing that clicks.

Mcmadness

I mean if you enjoy that stuff then that's fine but it will make your opinions look closeted to others if thats all you've experienced.

Well some others anyway.

Mcmadness

You will when arguments break out, and believe me, they will.

Mcmadness

Sure you can, but when you go around telling others about how AMAZING,DEEP and ORIGINAL it's characters are, it's not going to hold up under scrutiny.

ChristmasDinner

The Red-Nosed Dayzee
As I have said before, I am not arguing that the Mario RPG series is the best place amongst all media or even video gaming to go for a deep story, striking themes/locations, or original characters, I'm saying the fact that they appear in a Mario game is truly amazing and has a unique charm to it, to such an extent that I simply cannot rank the four aforementioned games as any less than my four favourite games of all time even if they aren't exactly my favourites when it comes to actual gameplay.

Mcmadness

And to me when I see that it just comes off like a bad fanfic. You know like those ones you see people write about kids show that take the source material way more seriously than it was ever meant to.

ChristmasDinner

The Red-Nosed Dayzee
And to me when I see that it just comes off like a bad fanfic. You know like those ones you see people write about kids show that take the source material way more seriously than it was ever meant to.
I see nothing wrong either with serious fanfics of lighthearted kids' shows or with appreciating the deep story elements of the Mario RPGs. At least for Super Paper Mario and TTYD, they truly were designed to be artworks in many ways beyond gameplay which I think they fulfilled excellently.

Mcmadness

I do. It makes it extremely laughable and stupid.

And they presumably put as much into those games as anyone else who cares about making games puts effort into it. Even sticker star has a lot of effort put into it despite it's blandness.

ChristmasDinner

The Red-Nosed Dayzee
I do. It makes it extremely laughable and stupid.
But it's not wrong if no-one is offended or hurt by such things
they presumably put as much into those games as anyone else who cares about making games puts effort into it. Even sticker star has a lot of effort put into it despite it's blandness.
But Sticker Star was always intended to be a different game to the first three and the devs decided to step down the story. If they had used the same amount of effort with the same goal as the first three had story-wise, we may well have had another epic Paper Mario tale.

Shygul

'sup
Am I not entitled to just respectfully say that I don't feel interest in many non Nintendo games and that I'm not obliged to try any if I don't feel like it?
You are 100 percent allowed to do so and there is nothing really wrong with it etc. Although out of genuine curiousity I am wondering.....why exactly? I mean from post history it doesn't even look like you've even played most of NINTENDO'S RPGS (correct me if i'm wrong) let alone non-nintendo ones. And no before you get uber defensive or w/e I do not mean this in an attacking way but more I pose to you this question from a personal want to understand a demographic of people that I do not understand as of now. Like, there's a ton of good games outside of Mario and I uh personally don't understand what would be the point in arbitrarily limiting yourself to just Mariopgs when there's a bunch of undiscovered/unplayed gems out there. I mean you're not even the only person i'v encountered like this there's plenty of other nintendo purists out there but i've never understood why exactly people choose to enforce restrictions on themselves for no definable reason that i'm aware of. So tldr if you could elaborate to me here or in the dm's on why the thought of touching other games seems sacrilegious to you i'd greatly appreciate it fam.