Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

block fort is miserable to play on in mkds

not necessarily. block plaza is mostly inspired from a mix of block city and block fort, but otherwise has a unique layout.

my favorite battle course of all time is sherbet rink

A lot of things about GCN Rainbow Road is an utter mess.

It's my least favorite track in the game because holy bloody hell is it so bad to race on. Not only do you have to content with Double Dash's slippery driving and weight physics on a track filled with sheer drops and tons of boost pads, the track topology makes homing items aside from the Spiny Shell lose control and fly into walls or into the abyss 80% of the time they appear on you, when they don't behave this way in any other track of the game. Chain Chomps can fling you off the cliff too due to how the track is designed, which is again mostly exclusive to that particular track, and because of the nature of huge drops, Chain Chomps usually break from your karts.

It ranks among the original Yoshi Valley to be one of the worst-designed tracks in the Mario series. At the very least, N64 Rainbow Road's homing items work consistently on that track as they do for the rest of the game (even though its red shells are terrible too).

It's not even Red Shells that are unusable. The fireballs bounce like rubber balls, the green shells are difficult to snipe, and good luck controlling yourself with some of the stars they litter on the road. I still guess the occasional star on the road is neat but why is GCN Rainbow Road overall so bouncy?

I don't like most rainbow roads in general.

Oh yeah, they're all pretty bland and really need some creative juices squeezed from them. We did get a space station, but I was thinking they turn Rainbow Road into a club rave where the road flashes different colors from the rainbow like they're disco tiles.

I also think Mario should get something other than a circuit. Why not he get a Rainbow Road? He has a Rainbow Castle! And a sky course from Mario Golf!

Rainbow Road is not, if ever, my favorite special cup course. I feel like you played one of them, you played them all. Even Bowser Castle offers more variety than the Rainbow Roads do. At least they change up their bgm to be more than just "HAPPY JOLLY WILD RIDE THROUGH THE RAINBOW ROAD!" which is the soundtrack for pretty much every single Rainbow Road track in existence.

I don't know. I feel that SNES Rainbow Road's BGM sounds more intense than most of its successors.

Wii Rainbow Road is cool.

It has a Launch Star and Star Bits, I automatically like it for that reason.

N64 Rainbow road in MK8, while the track itself is a generic rainbow road, I kinda like it for not being hell like the others, and it looks absolutely gorgeous.

Saying I kinda like it was a major understatement btw

N64 rainbow road's music is awesome.

Buuuut the track itself is super long and barren. And easy. Did they really have to put those stupid ass borders to not let you fall off the stage? It made the track a bore fest. SMK's Rainbow Road was much harder, faster and also even more colorful lel.

Saltman said:
SMK's Rainbow Road was much harder, faster and also even more colorful lel.
Which is why they remade it in half of the games. It's pretty much one of the best examples for a rainbow road.

Also, MK8's Rainbow Road is trash compared to several other ones, as it's too easy and the music isn't as good. Plus, I honestly prefer the other ones' design. No wonder they added 2 retro rainbow roads in the same game.

I actually like Mario Kart 8's Rainbow Road's design. It's an artificial Rainbow Road, which gives it a unique aesthetic over the rest.

Not sure if this is unpopular, but GCN Bowser's Castle is my favorite from both a design and music standpoint. I have so many childhood memories of that racetrack

It's my third favorite, after Wii Bowser's Castle and 8 Bowser's Castle

it has really stiff competition. i love GCN Bowser's Castle a bunch as well but it really has to compete with those other two for my favorite

I like Super Circuit's Rainbow Road because of the crazy jumps you can do there (Also bonus points for the Paper Mario Bowser's Castle cameo), but my favorite one would have to be MK8/D's.

200cc should be the standard for Mario Kart, not 150cc

I dislike the "Luigi is unpopular" jokes that the games keep on peddling at any opportunity. In my mind Luigi is already at the point where he is almost as popular as Mario as to not be overshadowed by him. Plus Luigi wins fan polls so he's definitely not unpopular. I know the game and real life are separate, but I think it's time the games acknowledge that Luigi is pretty popular (and not in an exception case like in Thousand Year Door). I felt that this is one joke that could be retired. On the other hand, I wouldn't mind if they transfer the "who is this guy?" joke to Waluigi.

LeftyGreenMario said:
200cc should be the standard for Mario Kart, not 150cc
What would happen if 250cc becomes the fastest speed? Then 250cc should be the standard as a result?

Thank you for reading.

Back