Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

MiracleDinner

Paper Mario, M&L, Super Mario, Disney, TTG fangirl
The newer Paper Mario games aren't that bad
I wouldn't say that's a particularly unpopular opinion, but preferring them to the first two definitely is, as is preferring Sticker Star to Super Paper Mario. I see many people who view the last two PM games as perfectly alright games on their own but just a disappointment compared to the first two/three.

I've not tried them myself, though I do own a CS disk and a Wii U, just haven't got round to playing it though. I don't anticipate to like either as much as the first three, since the story/character elements were apparently strongly reduced which was always one of the most important parts of PM imo. I'd still very much like to play them though.

New Super Mario Bros. U isn't the worst NSMB game, it's New Super Mario Bros. 2
Just saw this - I wouldn't say that's very unpopular either. If you ask me NSMB2 is probably the least liked in the NSMB series. I haven't played either but I'd like to play both.

Last edited:

Capnap

Splashmouse
I don't mind ports and remakes as long as they don't get in the way of new games of the same series. Aka if there's different teams of people working on ports/remakes than the new game teams.

Dan Backslide

CONFOUND THEM!!!
Cackletta still remains the greatest Mario RPG villain and also the funniest. Her facial expressions are incredible.

Last edited:

Dr. Eggman

I am the enemy, I will succeed
The Soundtrack of the Mario & Sonic games are underrated. I know they're considered the best parts of the game, but I've never seen anyone talk about anything besides the remixes. Rio 2016 is up there among some of my favourite soundtracks in the franchise.

Penguin Mario

🐧Penguins. Lots of them.🐧🐧🐧🐧
It has the best iteration of the circuits from Double Dash (which seriously outdoes the one in Mario Kart 8), and there's also a great iteration of Dreadnought Galaxy.

Still the best parts of the series would be the presentation and animations and all. If the Mario & Sonic games became just assets and little else, I'd be okay with that.

BBQ Turtle

Crazy sponsors lady.
Wiki Administrator
Poll Committee
I definitely agree that the soundtracks are great. Most of the remixes are good, though some of the 2014 ones are questionable, but I also like a lot of the main tracks too. I'd say that the main themes (The ones that go alongside the openings) are all really nice.

Mcmadness

The idiot who puts things in the wrong board.
Pity the new one had like, no new music at all.

YoshiFlutterJump

Power Star
Awards Committee
It saddened me that Tokyo had next to no replay value. Play through Story Mode once and there's nothing more to do. Shame too, because it could have otherwise been the best entry in the series yet.

Dan Backslide

CONFOUND THEM!!!
People I know love to either call Mario Super Mario or Mario Bros (as if Bros is his surname). I hate that. I always simply call him Mario (or Mario Mario).

Penguin Mario

Considering your standards, I can't say that Super Paper Mario's much of a high bar to begin with.

My favorite Mario plots remains, however, things like Wendy's wanting America for her birthday, an evil tennis racket controlling the world, tone-deaf Bowser's using Waluigi to unleash chaos by stealing the music keys, Bowser ruining vacations when he means no fun at all, Bowser and Eggman's melting the world's ice so the Olympics can't be held, Mario's clever means of defeating Street Fighter characters such as running circles around Zangief, and Bowser's kidnapping Princess Peach so she can bake a cake for him (though don't like the epic soundtrack and grandiose space adventure which clashes with an otherwise great Mario plot). I can't say if anyone else vouches for my splendid opinions on plots so just trotting that out there.

J-Yoshi64

Always remembering Walkazo
Cake is good.

MiracleDinner

My favorite Mario plots remains, however, things like Wendy's wanting America for her birthday, an evil tennis racket controlling the world, tone-deaf Bowser's using Waluigi to unleash chaos by stealing the music keys, Bowser ruining vacations when he means no fun at all, Bowser and Eggman's melting the world's ice so the Olympics can't be held, Mario's clever means of defeating Street Fighter characters such as running circles around Zangief, and Bowser's kidnapping Princess Peach so she can bake a cake for him (though don't like the epic soundtrack and grandiose space adventure which clashes with an otherwise great Mario plot). I can't say if anyone else vouches for my splendid opinions on plots so just trotting that out there.
Could you tell me each of the games where these plots come from?

Cake is good.
I like cake too

Pokerninja2

Cheep Cheep
Could you tell me each of the games where these plots come from?
In order:

- The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3 episode "Reptiles of the Rose Garden"
- Mario Tennis Aces
- Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix
- pretty sure this was one of the comics but can't remember off the top of my head
- one of the Mario & Sonic games held in the Winter, again can't remember
- the Club Nintendo comic Super Mario Klemp-Won-Do: Muskeln sind nicht alles!
- probably the The Super Mario Bros. Super Show! episode "Stars in their Eyes"?

Hey @Princess Mario what's my grade

YoshiFlutterJump

Power Star
Awards Committee
In order:

- Mario Tennis Aces
- pretty sure this was one of the comics but can't remember off the top of my head
Pretty much what I was getting but I assumed the fourth one was Sunshine and the last one was Galaxy.

Dr. Eggman

That's the DS Version of Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (the location and year is Vancouver 2010, though they weren't used in the title until London 2012 ). The Wii version has the far less interesting plot of "It's the Olympics, go and win the events."

MiracleDinner

In order:

- Mario Tennis Aces

Yeah I pretty much haven't played/watched/read any of these aside from (assuming YFJ is correct) half of Sunshine and both Galaxies.

Penguin Mario

In order:

- The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3 episode "Reptiles of the Rose Garden" ✅
- Mario Tennis Aces ✅
- Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix ✅
- pretty sure this was one of the comics but can't remember off the top of my head❌ Mario Party 7: "They're going on a vacation... AND NOT TAKING ME! They want a fun vacation? I'll give them a fun vacation! And by that, I mean NO FUN AT ALL! "
- one of the Mario & Sonic games held in the Winter, again can't remember ✅ Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Nintendo DS)
- the Club Nintendo comic Super Mario Klemp-Won-Do: Muskeln sind nicht alles! ✅
- probably the The Super Mario Bros. Super Show! episode "Stars in their Eyes"❌ ? Super Mario Galaxy 2: "Maybe I'll have Peach bake ME something for once... I could sure go for a galaxy-sized slice of cake right now!"

So 5/7, ain't all that bad especially with the Club Nintendo comic reference. Nice try with the last one! But I don't see any mention of cake in it?

Penguin Mario

What specifics about Super Mario Bros. 3 do you like more than World?

Penguin Mario

And there's the inherent hilarity of imaging Samus getting crushed and the fleeing in terror after landing on a Bowser space, while Lucina gets launched from a Warp Space and lands on Ness and Mr. Game & Watch.

Dr. Eggman

I'd like to see Smash Kart as it would be a good excuse to make a more skill based Mario Kart game. Besides that, I'd prefer Mario Kart to stay as just Mario.