Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

Dimentio

Master of Dimensions, Pleaser of Crowds
I mean you're right that if everything else was satisfactory I wouldn't really care about the character designs. It's just that when so much is taken away, there wasn't much to distract me from the little things like that lol

and honestly in regard to 64 to TTYD, i think that change was an improvement. I do like the pixel art but the vector style became iconic for the series and the details they fleshed out to work with the new design overall perfected the style imo, so changing it again wasn't really necessary.

Mcmadness

The idiot who puts things in the wrong board.
I know it's been almost 17 years since it came out but I'll still never stop saying that Bowletta was a bad idea for a plot twist.

Starfire

Alien superhero princess
I know it's been almost 17 years since it came out but I'll still never stop saying that Bowletta was a bad idea for a plot twist.
why

Mcmadness

"Hey we got this new badguy for you to fight that works differently from Bowser, let's turn her literally into Bowser thus making her whole point of being introduced utterly pointless"

Starfire

Alien superhero princess
"Hey we got this new badguy for you to fight that works differently from Bowser, let's turn her literally into Bowser thus making her whole point of being introduced utterly pointless"
I mean she kept her personality and everything.

It was already great to have two original villains who were both awesome but then to legit defeat the main one halfway through the game (it wasn't even like she was partially weakened or anything, or wasn't trying her hardest) who then possesses Bowser is just completely crazy and unexpected. If you haven't figured by now that's what I want to see from MaRPGs.

Plus the
Cackletta Soul Battle
was a neat ending to the game

Mcmadness

Made little difference when all they did was just kidnap Peach and then bombard the kingdom with Bowser's castle.

It's distinction without any real difference. When they were just themselves the plot was a lot more fun, like it could have been the ACTUAL Bowser that took over the plot and very little of the game would need to be changed other than some dialogue and boss fight here and there.

So it's a twist villain from Mega Man except slightly better.
Worse more like.

Starfire

Alien superhero princess
It's distinction without any real difference. When they were just themselves the plot was a lot more fun, like it could have been the ACTUAL Bowser that took over the plot and very little of the game would need to be changed other than some dialogue and boss fight here and there.
Wouldn't feel as positively crazy imo

Mcmadness

Once the novelty wears off you realize that all they did was just make the plot a lot more boring.

Princess Mario

✨Mushroom Kingdom's fabulously glittery plumber✨
Supersaga's main twist still makes so little sense to me.

Mcmadness

I wouldn't say it doesn't make any sense, I just think it was a dumb plot point.

HombreSal

King Bowser
I feel bad for Smithy. He could've made for a really good villain had he not appeared for a total of 2 minutes. A serious king who treats his minions with respect yet has rage problems, with the occasional hard to control fury outbursts when his plans fail.

Mcmadness

When was he ever shown treating his minions with respect? They were all literally disposable.

HombreSal

King Bowser
You see him disrespecting the hell out of them when he goes furious after the first fight but before that he did not seem so bad. Just working on more minions with his best and only friend the smelter lol. All of his minions were doing their work in the factory and the higher ups loved him.

But yeah ok fine I did forget how the factory's director said he makes those who oppose him be dealt with meltdown.

Last edited:

Mcmadness

Yeah I never got the impression he cared about his soldiers. I mean he spent the whole game literally hammering them out.

HombreSal

King Bowser
I mean he hammered them when he was making them but after that I only saw him hammer them when he got pissed at both losing the first fight and at the end where he lost everything.

Mcmadness

Doesn't mean he cared. He just replaces any of em that get wrecked without a second thought.

Pokerninja2

Koopa Troopa
I keep forgetting Smithy exists since he has almost zero role in the game aside from being the big bad and isn't seen until the last minute, which is a shame since he has a really cool design imo

Starfire

Alien superhero princess
I haven't played SMRPG myself but any villain that doesn't show up at any point until the final boss doesn't impress me. That said the Shadow Queen was still a very impressive villain despite her short screen time so idk

Mcmadness

She was just your typical evil demon darkness monster.

Fight was fun though.

Mcmadness

He's got a hammer and builds weapons and wants to take over the world.

Fight was fun though.

HombreSal

King Bowser
He's got a hammer and builds weapons and wants to take over the world.

Fight was fun though.
It's great. His and Culex's were the only real challenge (at least without Peach lol). Every other fight I just couldn't get a game over, which made the game last short. The game would've benefited a lot from a higher difficulty curve.

Rinka Hayami

Koops, King of cowards.
Would be nice if some Mario games gave you the option to select higher difficulty settings. Maybe there are already some that do this but really I would like to see a "Hard Mode" in a Mario game someday. Would be fun to see how they modify the levels.