Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

The biggest missed opportunity of NSMB2 is all of it.

Super Mario Maker's level editor feels so restricted. I mean, I was able to make my infamous (in my family, at least) airship level "No Invaders, No Yoshis" with no problems, but my other near-impossible level, "The Ultimate Test of Skill", is something that I wish could have more than 1 sub-area.

Felonius Gru said:
The biggest missed opportunity with NSMB2 is the exclusion of Wario.
I know right? It's like making a game about paint and completely excluding Bowser Jr.

oh...

Well, it's like making a game about dreams and barely referencing Super Mario Bros 2.

wait...

I found the bosses of Super Mario Odyssey to be dull and a weak point of the game. I was disappointed in particular with Torkdrift, Mechawiggler and Lord of Lightning; although menacing, they barely seem to use their attacks to their full potential, like they absolutely intentionally let openings for Mario to strike back. This could have been done a lot more seamlessly, in my opinion.

Super Mario Galaxy (2) did not have this problem, the bosses there were more engaging and creative. Take Boogaboom, which you had to assault from a height while he circulated around a tree. Bouldergeist raised chunks of rock from the ground to impede you, throwing floating stones all the while. You could attack him with Black Boos, but the rock chunks made it difficult, so you had to clear a few of them before having a chance to strike Bouldergeist--that is, if you had any more Boos after the clean-up. Even Peewee Piranha was a good sport--fun to see him bravely charging into you, only to suddenly turn the tables on him and kick his ass while he ran away screaming. And do I have to even mention Bowser Jr's Megaleg? There are many more examples...

I'd say this all owes to the Spin move, which accounted as an additional, important attack method. The Cap Throw's forte was instead capturing enemies, not battling them directly.

Back to Odyssey, I'd say the Broodals were okay for their role. Reminded me of the quadrillion times I fought Boom Boom in 3D Land.

I think part of the plumber rap goes "To the Brink", instead of "To the Bridge", because the former makes more sense to me.

Super Radio said:
I found the bosses of Super Mario Odyssey to be dull and a weak point of the game. I was disappointed in particular with Torkdrift, Mechawiggler and Lord of Lightning; although menacing, they barely seem to use their attacks to their full potential, like they absolutely intentionally let openings for Mario to strike back. This could have been done a lot more seamlessly, in my opinion.

Super Mario Galaxy (2) did not have this problem, the bosses there were more engaging and creative. Take Boogaboom, which you had to assault from a height while he circulated around a tree. Bouldergeist raised chunks of rock from the ground to impede you, throwing floating stones all the while. You could attack him with Black Boos, but the rock chunks made it difficult, so you had to clear a few of them before having a chance to strike Bouldergeist--that is, if you had any more Boos after the clean-up. Even Peewee Piranha was a good sport--fun to see him bravely charging into you, only to suddenly turn the tables on him and kick his ass while he ran away screaming. And do I have to even mention Bowser Jr's Megaleg? There are many more examples...

I'd say this all owes to the Spin move, which accounted as an additional, important attack method. The Cap Throw's forte was instead capturing enemies, not battling them directly.

Back to Odyssey, I'd say the Broodals were okay for their role. Reminded me of the quadrillion times I fought Boom Boom in 3D Land.

I don't think either games have even remotely close to having good boss fights. Super Mario Galaxy 2's boss fights I felt had the same types of bad as Odyssey.

Probably depends at what age you played those games. SMG and SMG2 were among the first Mario games I've ever played and my memory tells that bosses like Rollodillo, Megahammer and Gobblegut were very energetic. Maybe it was also the gravity gimmick that contributed. Glamdozer was a lot of fun to battle.

MnSG said:
Most Super Mario installments are pretty much known for having boss fights that are too easy.
The Mario series has never been combat-heavy outside of the RPGs and that's probably a factor. Out of every platformer, 2D or 3D, I think the Galaxy duology has the most impressive bosses due to the variety of ways they all play and, as Baby Luigi mentioned, that's not necessarily a high bar when compared to most other games.

Super Radio said:
Is that so with Sunshine too? I'm asking since I've never played it.
Sunshine reuses a lot of bosses and generally, most are simple/easy once you know what you're doing and how they work.
Also, Bowser's fight is infamous for how easy it is. Mecha-Bowser is probably harder and more climatic.

ThatGuy62 said:
The Mario series has never been combat-heavy outside of the RPGs and that's probably a factor. Out of every platformer, 2D or 3D, I think the Galaxy duology has the most impressive bosses due to the variety of ways they all play and, as Baby Luigi mentioned, that's not necessarily a high bar when compared to most other games.

Yeah, one of the most notable trends with the Super Mario boss fights is knowing that most bosses fall after taking just three hits. And most of the harder phases in a boss fight don't raise the difficulty all that much. Fiery Dino Piranha and Fire Gobblegut are probably a small portion of bosses who could give you a run for your money, but in all fairness, they are meant to be harder variants of Dino Piranha and Gobblegut respectively.

J-Yoshi64 said:
In NSMB, a Ground Pound deals 2 hits of damage, making bosses even easier.
It's especially great when you fight the Monty Tank and do that.

You have a high tolerance for annoying noises. :P

but again, I do like Daisy's and Toad's voices.

I don't really think I find any of the voices annoying apart from MC Ballyhoo, Big Top, Metal Mario and Pink Gold Peach (The latter two sound like they're drowning or something).

Anyway, I think it's quite unpopular, but I found all of the music in Odyssey apart from the two lyrical tracks to be very underwhelming. After what we got in Galaxy, 3D World, and in fact, I'm even going to say 3D Land, the music in Odyssey just doesn't seem to come up to that standard. It all just seems very samey and forgettable to me, with nothing really that exciting about it. I personally think it lacked anything of much interest.

BBQ Turtle said:
Anyway, I think it's quite unpopular, but I found all of the music in Odyssey apart from the two lyrical tracks to be very underwhelming. After what we got in Galaxy, 3D World, and in fact, I'm even going to say 3D Land, the music in Odyssey just doesn't seem to come up to that standard. It all just seems very samey and forgettable to me, with nothing really that exciting about it. I personally think it lacked anything of much interest.
I'd add to the two lyrical tracks also this one:
I stil lhave to hear more of the rest, but I'd mostly agree with you, the music was more to set the mood of the location rather than to stand out. But when it comes to Fossil Falls, especially that epic beginning followed by those flutes that go with a somewhat melancholic tune, I'd say that it pretty much filled the little void left by the other tracks...

BBQ Turtle said:
I don't really think I find any of the voices annoying apart from MC Ballyhoo, Big Top, Metal Mario and Pink Gold Peach (The latter two sound like they're drowning or something).

Unpopular opinion, Ballyhoo isn't annoying or creepy, just stupid.

And Odyssey's soundtrack is more common than you think, I've seen kiddies in GameFAQs constantly whine about the music.

I agree with Wu that the music isn't really meant to be much because you're spending so much time in each level.

Also highly unpopular opinion:

Fossil Falls is my least favorite track in the game precisely because it won't shut the *bleep* up after 30 minutes in the level; the part in 1:09 in the video: hearing THAT whine again and again and again starts to sound grating. It made me appreciate the other tracks more for not being an assault on the ears after a while. Hell, even New Donk City's and Wooded Kingdom's tracks get tiring after a while, just not as quickly that Fossil Falls has done for me.

Anticipating a lot of deaths and time spent in the level, I had to turn it off in Farther Side, just by switching to the Super Mario Bros. 3 minigame music.

I'm fine with there not being a Mario & Sonic game for the PyeongChang olympics. One less stubby article on the wiki!

Mario & Sonic at the PyeongChang 2018 Olympic Winter Games

i'm more concerned about the consistent stagnant quality of the game series than how a mario nerd site handles its content tbh

LeftyGreenMario said:
Also highly unpopular opinion:

Fossil Falls is my least favorite track in the game precisely because it won't shut the *bleep* up after 30 minutes in the level; the part in 1:09 in the video: hearing THAT whine again and again and again starts to sound grating. It made me appreciate the other tracks more for not being an assault on the ears after a while. Hell, even New Donk City's and Wooded Kingdom's tracks get tiring after a while, just not as quickly that Fossil Falls has done for me.

Anticipating a lot of deaths and time spent in the level, I had to turn it off in Farther Side, just by switching to the Super Mario Bros. 3 minigame music.
Well, I don't think Fossil Falls is a track meant to be looped more than once, I'd say that it's a main theme to start the adventure in an epic way. My best guess is that since the location is so small the developers expected the player to quickly reach areas with a different theme or simply capture that T-Rex who pretty much begs to be captured...

Back