Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

ThatGuy62 said:
GmanSir said:
I don't think Yoshi should have been a lightweight in the early years of spin-offs.
Actually, you're right. It doesn't make sense considering Yoshi can carry Mario.
Weight doesn't equate to strength though, or lack thereof. Any weightlifter will attest to that.

Weasel said:
200cc is best cc

Mario Kart is no F-Zero buddy. Jokes aside, while 200cc may be an extra challenge for Mario Kart experts, it's not meant for everyone.

MnSG said:
Weasel said:
200cc is best cc

Mario Kart is no F-Zero buddy. Jokes aside, while 200cc may be an extra challenge for Mario Kart experts, it's not meant for everyone.

It isn't, but I love the extra challenge and now 150cc is a drab chore to play through.

Felonius Gru said:
I like MC Ballyhoo & Big Top and don't find them annoying.

I like them too. I like all Mario Party hosts.

Personally, I think only Big Top’s annoying, not Ballyhoo. But still not that big of a deal.

Baby Luigi said:
MnSG said:
Weasel said:
200cc is best cc

It isn't, but I love the extra challenge and now 150cc is a drab chore to play through.
I see 150cc as Normal mode and 200cc as Hard mode. Both 50cc and 100cc are Easy mode.

200cc with seven laps is how I play Mario Kart 8.

Too bad you can't actually change the VS mode laps in this game like you could in Double Dash. I mean, it's pretty understandable with tracks like Mount Wario and Big Blue, but all the other tracks could totally be different numbers of laps.

J-Yoshi64 said:
Too bad you can't actually change the VS mode laps in this game like you could in Double Dash. I mean, it's pretty understandable with tracks like Mount Wario and Big Blue, but all the other tracks could totally be different numbers of laps.

The game can actually support up to 7 laps on each track, and it's all controlled simply by an .xml file and a parameter that says "LapCount=3". Change that to "7" and you can play on 7 laps.

For some reason, you also can't get past 8 laps, probably because it wasn't programmed to have more than 7.

2018 YFJ said:
I like the Shy Bandit. I have also seen how hated he is.
Why is he hated?

I feel that Odyssey's final Bowser fight was a little underwhelming, I mean it's still more climatic than Sunshine and Galaxy 2's final boss fights but it feels a little dull to me. I know that the escape sequence where you get to cap-ture Bowser immediately afterwards is supposed to be the real highlight, but I still think the fight beforehand could have a little more going on than being a slightly tougher version of the fight in the Nimbus Arena.

Imagine a final boss fight where Bowser could steal Cappy away from Mario or even has his own evil Bonneter, he could use it to cap-ture Mario and try to make him run into obstacles or jump into a bottomless pit unless the player wrestles the control away so that Mario can break free of Bowser's influence.

LeftyGreenMario said:
Why is he hated?
As a character, not sure since he's one of the more unique ones in CS. But gameplay-wise, he shouldn't exist. Having your saved progress towards 100% reverted is such a bad mechanic.

NanoPhoenix said:
I feel that Odyssey's final Bowser fight was a little underwhelming, I mean it's still more climatic than Sunshine and Galaxy 2's final boss fights but it feels a little dull to me. I know that the escape sequence where you get to cap-ture Bowser immediately afterwards is supposed to be the real highlight, but I still think the fight beforehand could have a little more going on than being a slightly tougher version of the fight in the Nimbus Arena.

Imagine a final boss fight where Bowser could steal Cappy away from Mario or even has his own evil Bonneter, he could use it to cap-ture Mario and try to make him run into obstacles or jump into a bottomless pit unless the player wrestles the control away so that Mario can break free of Bowser's influence.
I guess it's easy, but I still love punching Bowser in the crotch with the boxing gloves, this never gets old, especially with that sound effect.

Felonius Gru said:
As a character, not sure since he's one of the more unique ones in CS. But gameplay-wise, he shouldn't exist. Having your saved progress towards 100% reverted is such a bad mechanic.
Why does this even exist?

NanoPhoenix said:

Yeah, we were kind of expecting there to be another phase, or just... something afterwards. It just seemed rather quick to us.

2018 YFJ said:
I like the Shy Bandit. I have also seen how hated he is.

Only once had I got Shy Bandit un-colour a level (one of the Pirate levels), and I agree that it's tedious only because at that time I didn't unlock every level yet. Once every level is unlocked, then you can just reach Shy Bandit any time. In that case Shy Bandit is an annoyance.

However, I like Shy Bandit because he's very good at guaranteeing Enemy Card drops, which is a godsend given how not every time an enemy drops them. Actually when I uncovered most of the map I am hoping for Shy Bandit precisely for Enemy Card hunting. As an example, the Shy Guy musician is very difficult to get, but knock it at a low enough HP and its card is guaranteed.

Thank you for reading.

The shy bandit's theme is glorious.

Also if you fail to catch him, just reset the game.

Shy Bandit is pretty easy to catch in time before he does any real damage so it's just a minor nuisance, the random Kamek mechanic on the other hand seems a little more unfair considering this can happen.

I played New Super Mario Bros. 2 on a Toys R Us kiosk.

I enjoyed it for what it is, though the soundtrack is hilariously abysmal. Otherwise, it's a solid game and would recommend it if you can't play any other New Super Mario Bros. game. But god, people are right when they said how bland and sterile the game feels, and it feels like the game is powered mainly by an AMS unit harvesting liquid fuel from every nostalgia boner the developers had.

Nevertheless, I like the animations they put in for this game. They're cute.

So, partial unpopular opinion: the game's good, plays very good, and I daresay I like it. Its issue just that it's just every other New Super Mario Bros. game.

That's basically the consensus, I think. It's technically a good game, but it's exactly the same as the other NSMB games, making it be one of the worst Mario platformers since most are good and fairly original. I hold it in low regard, but it's a good game for kids at the very least or as a summary of the NSMB series.

I remember going back to NSMB2 to get the rest of the star coins and wound up being slightly impressed by some of the things it did (like the mandatory mini-mushroom level).

Still, the game is, at the end of the day "NSMBW.5: The Search For More Money"

Back