Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

Sometimes I wish we got SMRPG sequels instead of PM.

Mcmadness said:
One of the directors of SMRPG was actually interviewed on the matter, and he was pretty clear:

http://kotaku.com/dont-count-on-a-new-super-mario-rpg-any-time-soon-989543461

[quote author=Yoshihiko Maekawa]Actually, I don't feel like I want to return to that world and use those characters in another game, I feel like I was able to accomplish what I wanted to with that world and those characters and the gameplay ideas that came out of those, and now I mostly feel like I want to make something different.[/quote]
It's a curious view for sure. After all, Geno was in Superstar Saga, so it should not be an excuse to cover copyright issues. And by the way, the other director, Chihiro Fujioka, worked on the menu design for Dream Team. Both of them worked on Paper Jam, Maekawa as producer like in Dream Team, Fujioka on world design.

Yeah I know, M&L is pretty much the SMRPG sequels.

Though it's not the characters from the game I'm interested in I just want more varied party members that are significant Mario characters. I'd always use Peach and Bowser the moment they became available, didn't give a shit about mallow or Geno.

I still don't get why the Donkey Kong and Wario characters can't get in on that RPG action.

Or really any other spinoff characters.

Mister Wu said:
Mcmadness said:
One of the directors of SMRPG was actually interviewed on the matter, and he was pretty clear:

http://kotaku.com/dont-count-on-a-new-super-mario-rpg-any-time-soon-989543461

[quote author=Yoshihiko Maekawa]Actually, I don't feel like I want to return to that world and use those characters in another game, I feel like I was able to accomplish what I wanted to with that world and those characters and the gameplay ideas that came out of those, and now I mostly feel like I want to make something different.
It's a curious view for sure. After all, Geno was in Superstar Saga, so it should not be an excuse to cover copyright issues. And by the way, the other director, Chihiro Fujioka, worked on the menu design for Dream Team. Both of them worked on Paper Jam, Maekawa as producer like in Dream Team, Fujioka on world design.
[/quote]

this is why he's a director of an rpg game and not some of the mario rpg fanboys out there

If I wanted a terrible Mario fanfic I'd just play SPM again.

Mcmadness said:
Yeah I know, M&L is pretty much the SMRPG sequels.

Though it's not the characters from the game I'm interested in I just want more varied party members that are significant Mario characters. I'd always use Peach and Bowser the moment they became available, didn't give a *bleep* about mallow or Geno.
I'd like the same to happen with Paper Mario.

Baby Mario as a partner would be neat.

Baby Mario in anything would be neat

If I had my way we'd be using just mario, luigi, peach and maybe some 4th person instead of the OC partners in Paper Mario.

Mcmadness said:
If I had my way we'd be using just mario, luigi, peach and maybe some 4th person instead of the OC partners in Paper Mario.
That would mean losing out on characters like Goombella, Vivian, and Bobbery who are infinitely more compelling than Princess "pink because I'm a girl" Peach.

I would easily throw away minor one off characters to get more potential development out of the mainstays, in a bloody heartbeat.

I agree about the partners. I never like the fact they're all introduced and forgotten by next game. Why not make Daisy a partner?

@Petey, Vivian and Bobbbery does have an interesting point, but most partners are as compelling as plain oatmeal.

I haven't thought about that, but sounds to me like a Paper Mario utilising the main cast of Mario (including Daisy and Waluigi, in case you don't count them as "main") could be quite a trip. Mario & Luigi did this with the titular bros (along with guests baby Bros, Bowser and Paper Mario in different games).

Thanks for reading.

GalacticPetey said:
Mcmadness said:
That would mean losing out on characters like Goombella, Vivian, and Bobbery who are infinitely more compelling than Princess "pink because I'm a girl" Peach.

but princess peach is pretty rad in paper mario 1 and 2.

I actually really dislike Fawful.

Further explained in the "erase one character from existence" topic.

I think Fawful's ok for a villain but I can live without him.

I think Galaxy is overrated. I personally think it's ok, but I don't think it's as great as some people think.

I mean seriously. There are some people who might as well be worshipping it.

I think it's a fantastic game but I don't really worship any game, even ones I love.

Hell sunshine is one of my favourite games ever and even then on average I find myself pointing out it's various issues.

Personally, if you're a huge fan of something and you're still willing and able to point out its flaws, I'll cheer you on. It's a lot better than blind admiration or fanatical objections to any negative comments.

Time Turner said:
Personally, if you're a huge fan of something and you're still willing and able to point out its flaws, I'll cheer you on. It's a lot better than blind admiration or fanatical objections to any negative comments.

yeah thats how i see it too, with that notion i never saw any game as perfect, even my favorite games have plenty of flaws.

As I had thought about certain similarities between Mario vs Donkey Kong and Paper Mario (in regards to the gameplay change going forward), one of things I thought was that: there is a possibility that the developers thought that two Mario platformer series is redundant, which is why we don't have Mario platformers in the vein of Donkey Kong (arcade), and Super Mario is the only platformer series going forward.

In this vein, I can see this train of thought being applied to Paper Mario. To wit, one of the developers commented (when asked) on the redundancy between Mario & Luigi and Paper Mario, which is why Mario & Luigi is the designated RPG series. The main difference is, Paper Mario felt like a bigger series because it is highly visible compared to Mario vs Donkey Kong, no doubt due to the former's appearance on a console, and having a more defined personality. It's not helped by Sticker Star's lack of enjoyment by those who enjoyed the past game. This is the reason fans are more up to arms about the continual gameplay change for Paper Mario, as opposed to Mario vs Donkey Kong.

As a fan, having both types of platformers is most welcomed, so it is my wish to see this type of game return at a 40th anniversary of Mario (character) as a sort of return to his roots. I think this is an unpopular opinion because I doubt many of you would look forward to see a new Mario platformer in the vein of Donkey Kong (compared to Paper Mario, based on some opinions on the "Video game series that should come back?" thread).

Thanks for reading.

Waluigi should never get his own game. I like this niche role he's filled out as a completely inept villain who only exists to have life crap on him.

Waluigi should just appear more in general. I like how he's got that rivalry with Luigi but that's only been seen in older Mario Tennis games.

And, you know, DDR.

I am of the opinion that Waluigi should appear in at least one game as a star, even if it's a small one, mainly because I would love to see the direction that the developers could take with establishing Waluigi's character further if they could do that. If Luigi could have a much more established character after his first game Luigi's Mansion, I think that would work for Waluigi, beyond "Luigi's rival".

Thanks for reading.

Ninelevendo said:
Waluigi should just appear more in general. I like how he's got that rivalry with Luigi but that's only been seen in older Mario Tennis games.

And, you know, DDR.
Which isn't a big role at all. Bowser plays a bigger role than Walu.

Back