Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

Like I said, I think his status as a loser makes me not want to see him get his own game.

Besides Bowser needs it more.

I like Tiny Kong, and I don't hate her redesign. I actually really like it, but I do not hate her debut look either.

I like Peach more than Rosalina and Daisy. As for my favorite female character, it's a tie between her and Tiny Kong.

I think Donkey Kong Barrel Blast is both a good and a very fun game.

I'm not a big fan of Diddy and Funky Kong, but I do find them enjoyable in the Donkey Kong Country TV show.

I don't hate Kiddy Kong, I just find it weird how his ears are next to his eyes.

I like King K. Rool more than Bowser, and I also think K. Rool is a better villain than Bowser.

I like Toadsworth and Toadette. Toad...not so much.

I don't hate any of the babies.

About Princess Daisy..

What's her role anyway?

They don't use Daisy in main games? Fine.
Second-hand lady to Peach? Already got one, Rosalina.
Luigi's Princess Peach? Luigi already had several love interests without Daisy.
Er, other female option? Yes, again Rosalina but she's actually in games where it matters.
So what?

Daisy sucks as a "good" character, the fact that she gets paired up arbitrarily with the good guys in spin-offs while remaining an irrelevant tertiary character rubs a lot of people the wrong way. It doesn't help she's being phased out from the main cast even more these days.
Since Nintendo doesn't care to make Daisy's character worth something she should just be paired up with the baddies (e.g Wario and Waluigi). People already find her annoying and obnoxious, might as well go all out and take it to another level. Maybe she'll be more respectable then because at least her character would seem more honest. Even better yet if Waluigi and Daisy just got added to the Wario. series since they clearly ain't getting their spotlight in the Marioverse.

I always make Daisy one of my opponents in Mario Party so I wouldn't mind if she became an "enemy"

Erm.

IMO, Bowser Jr. Is better than the Koopalings, I'm okay with the latter not being Bowser's kids anymore.

Sticker Star wasn't a bad game by any means, it just had a few glaring flaws, but the concept itself is solid. Color Splash should follow it's lead and fix the problems

The Mario & Luigi series should start taking a different route and bring in more Mario characters (no new ones. The older ones) to play as.

The New Super Mario Bros series have surpassed the original Super Mario Bros+World. It's just gotten stale.

Don't hurt me ;~;

FrozenDragon150 said:
IMO, Bowser Jr. Is better than the Koopalings, I'm okay with the latter not being Bowser's kids anymore.

Don't hurt me ;~;
You wanted it, SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:bowjr:

I like both Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings. I can't really understand the Bowser Jr. vs Koopalings discussions. And since we need an IMO, I never liked the retcon because IMO it doesn't need to exist (after you had 7 children, an 8th one is no longer a problem, and disinheriting the first 7 children because the 8th one looks perfectly like you would totally be a Bowser thing).

By the way, that was not a troll post against FrozenDragon150, just a Carpe Diem to have the summary of my opinions on the matter :bowjr: .

Time Turner said:
Not that a villainous Daisy wouldn't be an amazing sight to behold, but
superlumiella said:
Luigi's Princess Peach? Luigi already had several love interests without Daisy.
who else has Luigi been romantically paired with?
Prince Peasley

Mister Wu said:
FrozenDragon150 said:

Don't hurt me ;~;
You wanted it, SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:bowjr:

I like both Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings. I can't really understand the Bowser Jr. vs Koopalings discussions. And since we need an IMO, I never liked the retcon because IMO it doesn't need to exist (after you had 7 children, an 8th one is no longer a problem, and disinheriting the first 7 children because the 8th one looks perfectly like you would totally be a Bowser thing).

By the way, that was not a troll post against FrozenDragon150, just a Carpe Diem to have the summary of my opinions on the matter :bowjr: .

I didn't take it as troll post, for the record =P

But my guess is they didn't want to have to make a whole character relationship deal with Bowser+8 kids, and instead made them just minions as to focus Bowser's paternal side on a single character. I think?

FrozenDragon150 said:
But my guess is they didn't want to have to make a whole character relationship deal with Bowser+8 kids, and instead made them just minions as to focus Bowser's paternal side on a single character. I think?
You opened the Pandora Box...

Really, this is something I think I started to understand reading the Sticker star interview here:

the characters in the Mario universe must have an appearance that immediately tells you everything about them. Bowser Jr. is like that: identical to Baby Bowser (who was "reverse-designed" to become similar to Bowser Jr. after his introduction!) and with a "mischievous brat" look. The Koopalings aren't. They don't exactly look like Bowser, and they rather have their own traits. I find that Lemmy, Iggy and Larry legitimately look like good guys (Lemmy actually IS a good guy in both Super Mario Kun and White Knuckle Scorin', by the way!). I think they are a disaster when looking at them in this "appearance=identity and function" point of view.

So, in my opinion, Bowser Jr. has a perfect design for the "new" gudielines and you can immediately tell he's Bowser son and that he's an important boss, while the Koopalings don't, so in light of these guidelines I can see why in the end only Bowser Jr. remained as Bowser's son, while the Koopalings just are... there

I'm suspecting they are more a Tezuka thing then a Miyamoto thing, even more so after seeing this:

tumblr_o6q5417CSj1rrftcdo2_1280.jpg

This early sketch of the Koopalings was made by Yoichi Kotabe, the redesigner of Bowser after the first Super Mario Bros. (apparently he was still trying to find a proper design for him), with the involvement of Takashi Tezuka (I'm still trying to understand the Tezuka part of that caption).
Could someone with Mario Mania confirm if they are indeed more a Tezuka thing?

Mister Wu said:
I find that Lemmy, Iggy and Larry legitimately look like good guys (Lemmy actually IS a good guy in both Super Mario Kun and White Knuckle Scorin', by the way!). I think they are a disaster when looking at them in this "appearance=identity and function" point of view.
Out of those three, I think Lemmy's the only friendly-looking one. Iggy, he looks insane while Larry just looks like an ass.

I don't either. It just doesn't look good on him.

Striker Mario said:
Mister Wu said:
I find that Lemmy, Iggy and Larry legitimately look like good guys (Lemmy actually IS a good guy in both Super Mario Kun and White Knuckle Scorin', by the way!). I think they are a disaster when looking at them in this "appearance=identity and function" point of view.
Out of those three, I think Lemmy's the only friendly-looking one. Iggy, he looks insane while Larry just looks like an ass.

I thought Iggy is the dumb looking one? God, do I hate Roy though. He looks like a early 00's RnB singer.

Well, apart from the divergence of opinions on Larry and Iggy (hey, this is a thread about divergence of opinions anyway, and I don't deny that Iggy is crazy, it's his defining trait!), I hope my point is clear.

superlumiella said:
God, do I hate Roy though. He looks like a early 00's RnB singer.

:mad:

What did I ever do to you?

Jk, I know that meant the character.

Mario Party 8 won Favorite Mario Party, but I think it's pretty boring.

I always found Mario Party 8 to be one of the weaker Mario Partys.

30 board FPS, overly simple motion control minigames, no widescreen support (WTF), candies are worse than orbs, the existence of King Boo's Haunted Hideaway and Goomba's Booty Boardwalk, Lucky Spaces in general, Duel prizes being determined by a roulette, no DK or Bowser minigames as only one event happens if you land on their spaces, the star handicap system being more restrictive, and records being gutted.

There might be more but those are the ones I can think of. Mario Party 8 does have plenty of good points though, such as some implementation of the motion controls, a fun taunting spree, candies having some pretty cool effects, some boards are fun to play on, and the removal of fortune spaces. Also, it just has the virtue of not being Mario Party 9 and onward.

I replayed Mario Party 8 recently, and I remembered how awful are its motion control minigames. Compare to Mario Party 9 who has great minigames of these type.
And Mario Party 8 Bowser board is probably the worst Bowser board.

Donkey Kong is the true villain of Mario Party, particularly in Mario Party 8 where he loves handing out free stars at the worst moment.

I actually really like Bowser Time in Mario Party 7, as Bowser's crazy shenanigans can affect a game either very little (his photo event mid to late game) or literally flip the table. It adds some strategy to overcome something he has caused, like destroying the bridges in either Grand Canal or Pyramid Park, which I like.

It also becomes particularly interesting on Bowser's Enchanted Inferno to decide if you want to take a risk to go to an island that is dangerously close to sinking, or gamble and hope your opponents get burned by the lava. A similar case could also be said about the Ztar event on Neon Heights. On a side note, when Bowser Time arrives, I usually put all 4 of my GCN controllers on the table and listen to the rumble they make. My dad asked me even at one point if I was drilling into something in my room, which I found funny.

I will admit though, Bowser destroying a randomly chosen windmill on Windmillville is brutally unfair. What happened to that one Bowser Space event in 5 were DK appeared and punched Bowser?

Meh, I do like the Bowser Orb shop and the photo Bowser time. What I don't like are the ones where he destroys your Windmill or the one in Pyramid Park where he steals your star and you have to retrieve it back by using Chain Chomps.

A51_Trooper said:
On a side note, when Bowser Time arrives, I usually put all 4 of my GCN controllers on the table and listen to the rumble they make. My dad asked me even at one point if I was drilling into something in my room, which I found funny.
This already make me smile and I don't know why. Sounds like something we'd do, I guess, and we also like it when the controller starts rumbling. My sister and I keep saying that "Bowser's *part of face* is on fire", like on the first turn, his chin is on fire. Second turn, his teeth are on fire. Third turn, his nose is on fire. Fourth turn, his forehead is on fire. Last turn, his entire head is on fire. I think that in of itself makes us generally like Bowser Time, but I also agree that there are some painful moments. But eh, it's Mario Party. If you rage, it just means Mario Party did its job.

Striker Mario said:
This already make me smile and I don't know why. Sounds like something we'd do, I guess, and we also like it when the controller starts rumbling.
The rumble keeps going on a lot longer on the spaceship event at Neon Heights, but it only supports 2 players.

i always liked the Bowser Time picture thing. It was very funny , i remember always praying to not to be an embarassing thing for some reason

i Was always like the Sun or the clouds , i dont remember lol

Back